Fair and Balanced
Premium Member
join:2001-11-14
Katy, TX

3 edits

r81984 to The Pig

Premium Member

to The Pig

Re: Renting a car for a vacation trip. Need advice.

I never get the insurance, its just a way to get more of your money for no reason. I get covered under my amex credit card "Car Rental Loss and Damage Insurance" with no deductible and my own insurance policy.
My personal liability,comprehensive and collision apply to any rental car with my same deductible.

If you want really good coverage to ensure no out of pocket fees if you get in an accident you can call your insurance company to add Use of Non Owned Car-Physical damage (UNOC) coverage for like $5 a month and cancel it after your trip.

You can also get primary premium car rental coverage for $25 from Amex that is even better than their free coverage. It covers you for up to 42 days: »www295.americanexpress.c ··· /home.do

Why would I need to pay a rental company for a 3rd insurance?

The Pig
I know you want to be me
Premium Member
join:2009-09-11

The Pig

Premium Member

I only carry liablity on my insurance so any damage I get on a rental is on me to fix!
No sense to have full coverage ($2,000 or more a year?) on a car that is only worth $6,000 now!

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium Member
join:2001-11-14
Katy, TX

r81984

Premium Member

There are much better deals for full insurance on a rental that covers all fees without going through the rental company if you are renting longer than 2 days.
The amex insurance is better and cheaper.

As for the different between full and liablity on my 04 corolla, it was less than $15 a month or $180 a year with state farm.