Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

siennablue
Premium
join:2005-10-17
Thornton, PA

My phone rings one or two calls .. then quits ringing

I know this is a lot to read, and I apologize ... but it should cover everything that took place yesterday (I am Tom in the chat):

Please wait for a site operator to respond.You are now chatting with 'Emma'
Your Issue ID for this chat is LTK554069804655X
Emma: Hello, how may I help you?
Tom: I still have problems ... see LTK554069796651X
Emma: Please hold while I checked it here. Thank you.
Emma: Thank you for waiting.
Emma: Please plug your magicJack device into your computer.
Tom: It is already plugged in
Emma: Do you see the dial pad on your screen?
Tom: yes
Emma: One moment please...
Emma: May I know if you are using a cordless telephone?
Tom Tom: yes
Emma: Is your cordless telephone fully charged?
Emma: Please click the link to download and run the magicJack upgrade:
Emma: »upgrades.magicjack.com/upgrade/m ··· etup.dmg
Tom: this will be the second time that I have ran the same upgrade
Emma: Please do run it, Tom. Let me know once done. Thank you so much.
Emma: I have not heard from you in a while. Do you wish to continue this chat session?
Tom: yes, I just finished the upgrade - had to fix alias
Emma: Thank you for letting me know.
Tom: OK I just tried calling magicjack twice both times the phone rang, I will wait a while and try again - this happenes last chat also, the magicjack will eventually fail to ring
Emma: Thank you for letting me know. Please do.
Tom: OK the phone stopped ringing - I will be able to fix temporarily by quitting and re-starting, this is getting tiresome - I did not have this problem before changing my phone number.
Emma:, do you have another telephone that we could try?
Tom: Try what?
Emma: If it still stops ringing.
Tom: When I am getting a call, the MJ icon in my DOCK is jumping around silently and will not pop up
Emma: I would like you to unplug your magicJack device.
Emma: »upgrades.magicjack.com/tools/Com ··· stall.sh
Emma: Click on the link above.
Emma: After the download is complete, open a terminal window by navigating to /Applications/Utilities/Terminal
Emma: In the Terminal Window, navigate to your download directory (usually Downloads) by typing cd Downloads and pressing enter. Next, type chmod+x CompleteUninstall.sh and press enter. Now type ./CompleteUninstall.sh and press enter again.
Tom: Last login: Thu Nov 5 17:27:05 on console c-68-83-185-190:~ thomas$ chmod+x CompleteUninstall.sh -bash: chmod+x: command not found c-68-83-185-190:~ thomas$
Emma: Okay. Is your magicJack software, now uninstalled?
Tom: I have no idea
Emma: Okay. Please unplug your device and plug it back in.
Tom: OK its plugged in but I have not lost any calls or contacts
Emma: Okay. Please do place a call on your phone number. Let me know if it still stops ringing.
Tom: The phone is not ringing, I just tried it
Emma: May I know if your telephone is properly connected into your device?
Tom: Yes, I can still answer calls, even when it does not ring
Emma: Please unplug the device wait for 1 minute and plug it back in.
Emma: Have you save the upgrade for the magicJack? If yes, please do run it once plugged.
Tom: OK I ran the upgrade then I plugged the device in
Emma: Thank you.
Emma: Is the issue still the same?
Tom: The phone does not ring
Emma: I am transferring you to one of our top 10% agents as rated by our customers. Please hold while I transfer you.
Please wait while I transfer the chat to the best suited site operator.
You are now chatting with 'Brad'
Your Issue ID for this chat is LTK554069796651X
Brad: Hello . My name is Brad. To better assist you, let me put you on hold while I read your previous chat/s. Thank you.
Tom: OK ... Hello Brad
Brad: One moment please...
Brad: Thank you for waiting.
Brad: May I know if you plugged the phone directly to your magicJack device?
Tom: Yes I did
Tom: The base, that is!
Brad: Try to unplug the device and the phone then plug it back after 2 minutes.
Brad: I will let you know when it's ready to plug it back in.
Tom: OK
Brad: Thank you.
Brad: Please do plug it back in now.
Tom: OK, done .. I tried it 4 times and it rang 4 times - but that happened in an earlier chat also
Tom: why don't you call me?
Brad: Thank you for waiting. I'll be with you in just a moment.
Brad: Thank you for waiting.
Brad: Please plug the device into the computer USB port first.
Tom: It is ... and has been plugged in since you asked the first time.
Brad: I'm sorry for the delay. I'll be right with you.
Brad: Please click the link to download and run the magicJack upgrade:
Brad: »upgrades.magicjack.com/upgrade/m ··· etup.exe
Brad: Let me know once done running the upgrade.
Tom: Brad, I have a Mac, which I have already stated several times in previous chats?
Brad: »upgrades.magicjack.com/upgrade/m ··· etup.dmg
Brad: Please click on that link and that is for MAC.
Tom: I thought you said you were reading my chats????
Brad: I will be right with you.
Brad: Sorry for that.
Tom: The upgrade is finished, but the MG icon will not come up from the dock - the phone did ring
Brad: Please RUN the MAC upgrade
Tom: The upgrade is finished
Tom: but the MG icon will not come up from the dock - the phone did ring
Tom: I can't stay online all day Brad, I have work to do at home.
Brad: I undersand.
Brad: Please save this ticket LTK554069804655X and use it as reference, please give us time to check on this.
Tom: I always save the whole chat Brad, Take care - I will talk later.

cs
Premium
join:2012-02-07
Repentigny, QC
try

chmod 0777 CompleteUninstall.sh

and then:

./CompleteUninstall.sh

After, reinstall

siennablue
Premium
Thornton, PA
cs, thanks for responding, but the results were the same after the re-install

chmod 0777 CompleteUninstall.sh

chmod: CompleteUninstall.sh: No such file or directory

./CompleteUninstall.sh
-bash: ./CompleteUninstall.sh: No such file or directory

Below is today's chat if you care to have a look:

Please wait for a site operator to respond.
All operators are currently assisting others. Thanks for your patience. An operator will be with you shortly.
You are now chatting with 'Dexter'
Your Issue ID for this chat is LTK554070990851X
Dexter: Hello, how may I help you?
Tom: Please see chat # LTK554069804655X - LTK554069796651X - LTK554065731741X and let me know if you have any new insight that will fix my problem
Dexter: Okay. Please hang on for a moment while I review your previous chat. Thanks.
Dexter: Is the device plugged in to your computer now?
Tom: Yes
Dexter: is the dial pad up now?
Dexter: please restart your dial pad.
Tom: OK
Tom: will le you know when it's up
Dexter: Thank you.
Tom: OK, the dial pad is up
Dexter: Okay, please try to place a call now.
Tom: From the dial pad ... or TO the dial pad?
Dexter: Using the dial pad.
Tom: OK, the call went through.
Dexter: Great, then please try to place a call to your end.
Tom: Both phones I am using are on my end - did you mean place a call to the MJ#?
Dexter: Yes
Tom: OK, the call came through, but the phone did not ring
Dexter: please use another telephone Tom.
Tom: I did that yesterday ... I also switched phone cords, and got the same results that I have been having a problem with.
Tom: Do you think the device may be defective? I have had it three years now.
Dexter: is the blue light on?
Tom: Yes, the blue light is on - If I quit MJ and restart, then make a call to the device, he phone will ring and this will occur several times ... until maybe ten minutes later, then the phone controlled by the devive will no longer ring when a call comes in.
Dexter: One moment please...
Dexter: please turn off your antivirus please.
Tom: I have no antivirus
Dexter: One moment please...
Tom: Dexter - everything worked perfectly until I ported over a new phone number on March 30 ... 11 days ago
Dexter: I am transferring you to one of our top 10% agents as rated by our customers. Please hold while I transfer you.
Please wait while I transfer the chat to the best suited site operator.
You are now chatting with 'Paolo'
Your Issue ID for this chat is LTK554070990851X
Paolo: Hi this is Paolo, Please hold for a moment, let me read your previous chat with the other operator and to check your account if you already have. I will get back to you as soon as I can. Thank you.
Tom: OK Paolo - good luck
Paolo: One moment please...
Paolo: Thank you for waiting, Sir Tom
Paolo: Just to clarify may I know what they can hear on the line when calling your MagicJack phone number please?
Tom: They get my recorded greeting unless I answer the phone ... yes, I can answer the phone even though it does not ring ... although I DO have to be watching my screen when the call comes in.
Paolo: Where did you plugged in the magicJack device?
Tom: I have it plugged into a USB port, and I have already switched to alternate USB ports in previous chats ... Why don't you give me a call & you will hear for yourself what they hear when a call is made to my MJ?
Paolo: Do you have a dial tone?
Tom: Yes
Paolo: Are you using a Laptop?
Paolo: running Operating System Mac OS X
Tom: No - Imac Desktop running Mac OS X 10.5.8
Paolo: Okay, have you tried to use a other phone handset
Tom: Yes, as I told the previous operator, I have tried different handsets, different telephones, and different phone cords ... yesterday
Paolo: Thank you for waiting. I'll be with you in just a moment.
Paolo: I will be right with you.
Paolo: Did you try to plug in your magicJack to other  computers?
Tom: No, this is the only computer I have, and I need it to work with this computer .. did you happen to read where I stated to Dexter - everything worked perfectly until I ported over a new phone number on March 30 ... 11 days ago??
Tom: For which you charged me $20.00
Paolo: Do you still have the MagicJack dial pad on your screen ? Does it reads as "Enter Phone Number Here" and your 10 digit phone number visible on the top of your magicJack Dial pad?
Tom: Yes ... did you read my previous question?
Tom: did you happen to read where I stated to Dexter - everything worked perfectly until I ported over a new phone number on March 30 ... 11 days ago??
Paolo: Yes,
Tom: Thank you
Paolo: I just refreshing your configuration here in our end.  
Paolo: try to install this link below
Paolo: Please click the link to download and run the magicJack upgrade MAC
Paolo: »upgrades.magicjack.com/upgrade/m ··· etup.dmg
Tom: Do I need to quit anything before doing that upgrade ... and is that a different upgrade than I have already installed ... THREE times?
Paolo: it is the same
Paolo: Please install it again.
Tom: OK, I have a "magicjack Setup" icon, and a Open magicjack on my desktop - when I right click on the Open magicjack icon and choose show original I get a popup that states the original could not be found --
Paolo: Please restart your MagicJack dial pad go to Menu > Advanced Users > Restart.
Tom: OK, done
Paolo: try to call someone then ask them to call you back.
Tom: Why don't you call?
Paolo: We are not allowed to call Sir
Tom: OK, I called my brother and had him call me back ... my phone did not ring, but I was able to answer the call anyway.
Paolo: I think your phone handset needs more power to ring, but did you try to use other phone handset?
Tom: Yesterday, I tried a different phone with the same results ... how do you account for the fact that everything worked fine for over two years ... until you changed the phone number 11 days ago ??? The problem is not in the phone - If I restart MJ and do not call anyone, the phone will ring perfectly for a half dozen calls in a row ... then about ten minutes later, if I receive a call, it will not ring... also if I make a call first after starting MJ, the phone will not ring again unless I restart MJ
Paolo: Are you using a cordless phone handset?
Tom: Yes, the other phone I used yesterday was also a cordless ...
Paolo: on your MagicJack dial pad, • Please click the MENU on your SoftPhone dial pad and choose "VOLUME/HEADSET CONTROL." then tell me if you can switch between telephone or headset/other  
Tom: Yes I can switch back and forth
Paolo: Please select Telephone,
Tom: OK done
Paolo: On your MAC Desktop screen
Paolo: Navigate to the Apple Menu
Paolo: Select System Preferences
Paolo: Select Sound
Paolo: Select the Input and Output Tab
Paolo: Ensure the Play sound through output device and check signal level boxes are ticked
Paolo: Check the Mute box is un-ticked.
Tom: Where is the mute box?
Paolo: Did you click on the  Select the Input and Output Tab ?
Tom: All I have is volume control .. no mute box
Paolo: can you increase the volume level please.
Tom: I already did that, it was set half way .. I had no problem with volume
Paolo: We will try to add DNS to your active connection for your Magicjack connection access the Internet thoroughly.
Paolo: Are you ready for the steps?
Tom: Yes, go ahead
Tom: That was also done in a previous chat
Paolo: 1. Please click Apple menu at the top-right corner of the screen and choose "System Preferences."
Paolo: 2. Please click on the “Network” icon . Then click on your active connection (Airport or Ethernet for example).
Tom: OK, I am configured using DHCP
Paolo: Do you mean you also plugged in your MagicJack to your router?
Tom: I have no router, except for a cable box ... I already told you my MJ was plugged into the computer USB port
Paolo: okay, please do the steps I have given to you.
Tom: I just opened the netwok window and stated that it is presently configured using DHCP .. not manually.
Paolo: I'm sorry for the delay. I'll be right with you.
Paolo: On your Active connection please click on the button “Advanced” then Now please type these in the box for “DNS Server” : 67.90.152.122, 67.107.71.186 Then click the Apply button.
Tom: On the “Advanced” screen there is no box for “DNS Server” there is a box for DHCP Client ID ... also a drop down window for Automatically or Manual .. it is set to automatically
Tom: The drop down is labled Configure IPv6
Paolo: I will be right with you.
Paolo: Thank you for waiting. I'll be with you in just a moment.
Paolo: Can you enter those numbers I have given to you earlier?
Tom: Where would you like me to enter them? the box you suggested does not exist.
Paolo: Did you select your active connection on your  Network ?
Tom: Yes My active connection is ethernet and the advanced window has ni box named “DNS Server” ... only DHCP client ID
Paolo: yes
Tom: Yes WHAT??
Paolo: click  Ethernet   then click “Advanced button” then look for the DNS setting page
Tom: The DNS server was on the main network page, not on the advanced page ... I set the DNS server to 67.90.152.122, 67.107.71.186
Paolo: Thank you  Then click the Apply button.  
Tom: I did
Paolo: Thank you.
Paolo: Please unplug the MagicJack device. Wait for 30 seconds and then plug it back in.
Tom: you're welcome
Paolo: Take your time.
Tom: OK done
Paolo: try to call again .
Tom: Ok the phone rang ... I switched to headset and both rang ... then back to the phone and only the phone rang ... this may work but it will have to stand up to the time test ... I have to get off now Paolo ... thank you for your help today
Paolo: You are very much welcome, I declare Blessing, Prosperity, Abundance, Breakthrough and Success to everything you do. Can you do me a little favor please it would really mean to me, it just a *5 seconds survey.
Paolo: Thank you for stopping by to chat, I hope I did a good job at addressing your concerns. Please take a second to answer a one question survey about the service I provided. Please click the word "CLOSE" button on the top right of this screen and the survey will appear. Thanks again!

cs
Premium
join:2012-02-07
Repentigny, QC
I read the end of your chat so I understand it is working. If you have trouble, here how to execute the "CompleteUninstall.sh"

First, download it and move it to your Desktop.

Now, open terminal:

cd [enter]
cd Desktop [enter]
ls [enter]

If you can see CompleteUninstall.sh it is all good. If not, did you forget to move the file on your Desktop? Move it now and try again for the beginning.

now, on the same terminal :

chmod 0777 CompleteUninstall.sh [enter]
sudo ./CompleteUninstall.sh [enter] (if it ask for a password, enter your mac password)

Note, you should not see this notice: "chmod: CompleteUninstall.sh: No such file or directory". That means the CompleteUninstall.sh is not on the good folder.

And after reinstall

siennablue
Premium
Thornton, PA
CS, thank you once again for your time and effort .. The phone now rings, and can be answered .. once !! - then the MJ must be reset again to be operational for receiving calls .. as far as making calls, I can make multiple calls without any problems - I can live with this annoyance while I try to get them to replace the device in my next chat, (as you can see in the chat, when I mention the device may be faulty after three years ... they ignore my reference). I will take a break & try again next week, as these MJ chats are very lengthy (you can not see it, but the pauses they take are sometimes very long, and without a time-stamp)

Thanks again.