spc
Search similar:

uniqs

abitbent
join:2004-04-23
Brantford, ON

abitbent

The Sad State of Rogers in Canada

Sad. Oh how Rogers has changed. Using the CRTC to keep competition out. Using contracts that push the bounds of legality. Over-active retention departments offering non-standard discounts to keep customers from leaving. Damage control because of Twitter. Enforcing usage caps to keep people away from on-line video instead of competing with a price-competitive service of their own.

Remember when Rogers was the best? Remember bragging to your friends that you had Rogers? Remember when their product was superior and their pricing was fair?

Oh how Rogers has changed... would be nice to get back to those days. The longer your long time customers feel scorned and continually look for alternatives, the longer it will take to get back to those glory days.

I submit, those days are gone forever.

Rogers Busted on CBC Marketplace

yyzlhr
@rogers.com

yyzlhr

Anon

I watched the whole marketplace special and frankly their whole thing was just a bit sensationalist and was poorly researched. Marketplace claims that Bell and Telus customers are able to cancel their contracts when there is a rate hike without an ECF. As a Bell and Rogers customers, I can tell you from personal experience that it is not true.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to abitbent

Premium Member

to abitbent
You know, I wonder why my cellphone bill NEVER increases during the contract term with Rogers, yet cabletv can increase and has increased even though every year I call i and get a 30% off deal for 12 month term. Yet every year around March, there's a rate increase.
arahman56
join:2011-08-11
Etobicoke, ON

arahman56 to abitbent

to abitbent
Speaking of Rogers, my bill has two fees: System access fee for Phone, and Digital Service Fee for TV. How valid are these?
InvalidError
join:2008-02-03

InvalidError

said by arahman56:

Speaking of Rogers, my bill has two fees: System access fee for Phone, and Digital Service Fee for TV. How valid are these?

Since retail rates for wireless and cable are non-regulated, companies can charge whatever fees they like. If enough people complain about their bills being ridiculously itemized with minor fees, the cableco/whatever will simply end up lumping them together in the base fee... which many argue is exactly what they should be doing to put an end to advertised prices that do not include non-optional additional fees.
arahman56
Etobicoke, ON

arahman56

Doesn't help me: should I complain about the fees?
InvalidError
join:2008-02-03

1 recommendation

InvalidError

said by arahman56:

Doesn't help me: should I complain about the fees?

People complain about fees all the time and have varying degrees of success getting discounts on their services. If you don't try, you won't find out.

anon1234
@rogers.com

anon1234

Anon

The difference between a wireless contract and a contract for cable/internet is when you sign a wireless contract you are actually signing to that rate plan. With cable you are not signing up for that rate, you may be getting a discount of $XX per month, or a percentage discount per month, and you are guaranteeing that you will keep that discount for 1 or 2 years or whatever, but you are not signing up for that specific rate.

Seems like CBC is trying to make a mountain out of a molehill though. The savings people get with new customer promotions and retention discounts far outweigh the extra $2-3 you may be stuck with for a few months until the cable contract is up.

It was a poorly done show though, as rogers, bell and telus WILL let you out of a wireless contract if a fee changes. there have been people who were let out of contracts when the roaming rate changed, when LD rates changed, etc. Good job CBC, can't imagine why you have a $200 million shortfall and have to layoff employees now, maybe it's due to quality programming like this.
arahman56
Etobicoke, ON

arahman56

Seems like CBC is trying to make a mountain out of a molehill though. The savings people get with new customer promotions and retention discounts far outweigh the extra $2-3 you may be stuck with for a few months until the cable contract is up.
The thing is, Rogers doesn't tell anyone that the Bundle/similar contracts are "discount" contracts, and at times even tell that some plans are $XX for 12 months, and then increase that. You actually need to read the User Agreement (which very few does) to find the one line that says that.

Just as an example of a similar discount contract: I currently get the MDP from TTC- which provides me with Metropasses at a discount with a 12-month renewing contract. If the price increased during my contract (which happened twice already), it wouldn't reflect on my plan until the contract term was up.
arahman56

arahman56 to yyzlhr

to yyzlhr
From what I heard, it's just what Bellus claimed- since Marketplace focused on Rogers, they didn't expand on it.

sbrook
Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa

sbrook to abitbent

Mod

to abitbent
Rogers hasn't changed in all the years I've been with them. Nothing's new ... just maybe the brazen actions are a bit more brazen and a bit more visible in the light of every company's degradation.

Stewy6
Premium Member
join:2007-12-12
Kitchener, ON

Stewy6

Premium Member

said by sbrook:

Nothing's new ... just maybe the brazen actions are a bit more brazen and a bit more visible in the light of every company's degradation.

"It has been far safer to steal large sums with pen than small sums with a gun." - Warren Buffett: Lessons for Corporate America (2001)

Xstar_Lumini
join:2008-12-14
CANADA

Xstar_Lumini to abitbent

to abitbent
Cancelled Rogers cable TV years ago, it was $90 a month and to have a channel I liked I had to pay for a pack of 5 that I didn't want.

Now I have Dish satellite TV, I'm paying like $29 flat for more than 350 channels, including a heck of a lot of FOX sports channels and all of Buffalo,NY's local channels. Who cares if they don't have City TV or the CBC.

Cancelled Rogers cellphone 3 weeks ago, was paying over $100 for a plan of 500mb data with 200 mins (a month) and no text messages

I now have WIND for $40 unlimited EVERYTHING.... EVERYTHING.... even unlimited data and Canada-wide calling.

I'm on the verge of cancelling my $70/month cable internet with Rogers and their pathetic 65 GB cap, I'm going unlimited high-speed with Teksavvy for $44/month.

Good riddance Rogers, and before you BELL. RIP.

CyberCam
join:2008-04-21
Whitby, ON

CyberCam

I actually have my last Rogers bill for $0.00 framed on the wall in my basement! It makes a great conversational piece. One thing for sure, my guests & friends always walk out of my house a lot wiser, once I show them the file of old Rogers bills and the file of my Teksavvy/Windmobile bills!

J E F F4
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium Member
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4 to Xstar_Lumini

Premium Member

to Xstar_Lumini
said by Xstar_Lumini:

Cancelled Rogers cable TV years ago, it was $90 a month and to have a channel I liked I had to pay for a pack of 5 that I didn't want.

Now I have Dish satellite TV, I'm paying like $29 flat for more than 350 channels, including a heck of a lot of FOX sports channels and all of Buffalo,NY's local channels. Who cares if they don't have City TV or the CBC.

Cancelled Rogers cellphone 3 weeks ago, was paying over $100 for a plan of 500mb data with 200 mins (a month) and no text messages

I now have WIND for $40 unlimited EVERYTHING.... EVERYTHING.... even unlimited data and Canada-wide calling.

I'm on the verge of cancelling my $70/month cable internet with Rogers and their pathetic 65 GB cap, I'm going unlimited high-speed with Teksavvy for $44/month.

Good riddance Rogers, and before you BELL. RIP.

Hey, where is your Rogers wireless bill you're supposed to supply us? Your wireless bill seems bogus. I have the exact same plan, plus 500MB more data, text messaging plus caller ID and social networking for about $60 taxes in.

Your Internet bill seems bogus too, $70 for the 70GB usage plan, it should only be $46.99.

Don't be telling people about your dish, you need to edit that out, it's illegal.

BTW, my Rogers VIP cable is $18 month taxes in.

Xstar_Lumini
CANADA

Xstar_Lumini

Hahaha lol who in hell told you is illegal, the goverment decided it was a grey area it wouldnt touch, illegal would be for me to overpay for a goverment-sponsored service monopoly.

J E F F4
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium Member
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4

Premium Member

said by Xstar_Lumini:

Hahaha lol who in hell told you is illegal, the goverment decided it was a grey area it wouldnt touch, illegal would be for me to overpay for a goverment-sponsored service monopoly.

You're don't know what gray market is. Gray would refer to those legacy units that some city dwellers and a lot of rural owned. The units were the 12 footers. I had a client way back they sold these gray market subs. DISH network, on the other hand, is not gray market system, nor is it a legacy system.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to J E F F4

Premium Member

to J E F F4
said by J E F F4:

Hey, where is your Rogers wireless bill you're supposed to supply us? Your wireless bill seems bogus. I have the exact same plan, plus 500MB more data, text messaging plus caller ID and social networking for about $60 taxes in.

200 Day time minutes, unlimited from 6pm, 6gb VM/ Caller ID etc.. under 40 with tax.

Stewy6
Premium Member
join:2007-12-12
Kitchener, ON

Stewy6 to Xstar_Lumini

Premium Member

to Xstar_Lumini
said by Xstar_Lumini:

no text messages

Yeap I pay at least $125/month for two phone and not allowed one text, also they charge for incoming and that's the last straw for me. The day my term is done I'm out.

metalhawk
join:2007-02-06
Nepean, ON

metalhawk to Xstar_Lumini

to Xstar_Lumini
said by Xstar_Lumini:

Actually, it is illegal. However, if I could, I would do it too.

»www.digitalhome.ca/2011/ ··· -canada/

Xstar_Lumini
CANADA

Xstar_Lumini to elwoodblues

to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

said by J E F F4:

200 Day time minutes, unlimited from 6pm, 6gb VM/ Caller ID etc.. under 40 with tax.

I got better than that with WIND, I get unlimited everything with Canada-wide calling for those same $40 bucks.

Im paying $29 flat for Dish Satellite directly to their head office with pre-authorized Visa card, can you tell how's this illegal? Or is it illegal because Rogers says so? Hahahaha.
nicko687
join:2010-06-11
Kanata, ON

nicko687 to elwoodblues

to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

With data? How???

metalhawk
join:2007-02-06
Nepean, ON

metalhawk to Xstar_Lumini

to Xstar_Lumini

said by Xstar_Lumini See Profile
Im paying $29 flat for Dish Satellite directly to their head office with pre-authorized Visa card, can you tell how's this illegal? Or is it illegal because Rogers says so? Hahahaha.

First, why would a US company care? As long as they're getting money, they're happy.

Second, did you look at the link I posted? The Supreme Court of Canada stated it's illegal. Bell wanted it that way, and got their way.

And for the record, I'm with you on this one. If I could or knew where to start (since I don't know anyone in the US, I can't hook myself to someone's account) I would jump on it in a heartbeat.

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON

mozerd

MVM

said by metalhawk:

And for the record, I'm with you on this one. If I could or knew where to start (since I don't know anyone in the US, I can't hook myself to someone's account) I would jump on it in a heartbeat.

+1

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to nicko687

Premium Member

to nicko687
said by nicko687:

said by elwoodblues:

With data? How???

Negotiate, negotiate negotiate. I was in no hurry to sign up again, so I kept calling till I got what I wanted.
elwoodblues

elwoodblues to Xstar_Lumini

Premium Member

to Xstar_Lumini
said by Xstar_Lumini:

said by elwoodblues:

said by J E F F4:

I got better than that with WIND, I get unlimited everything with Canada-wide calling for those same $40 bucks.

Wind sounds great, but one, there is a huge issue of dropped calls when you leave the "Wind Zone". Rogers is playing games right now.

Data speed, I've seen with 2 different people is SLOW SLOW. Both using the USB sticks.

sbrook
Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa

sbrook

Mod

And what happens when you leave a Rogers zone? And there are lots of holes in Rogers coverage areas too ... I live in one!

The only reason that this is noticeable with Wind is that Wind Home areas are smaller than the nationwide coverage of Rogers. It's something that we're aware of as Wind users ... you don't start a call near the edge of a wind home area if you're heading out of it! You accept the drop, or you stop, or you wait and make your call entirely Roaming on Rogers (assuming you are enabled for dual mode!)

And some of us near the edge of Wind Home areas ... to avoid accidental roaming charges ... set our phones to only connect to AWS instead of dual mode with GSM, so we truly drop our calls as leaving Wind Home areas. I see this as a benefit, not a problem.

Xstar_Lumini
CANADA

Xstar_Lumini to metalhawk

to metalhawk
said by metalhawk:

Second, did you look at the link I posted? The Supreme Court of Canada stated it's illegal. Bell wanted it that way, and got their way.

Oh yeah and what great teeth that law has that every single highrise building in Toronto has like a million satellites on their balconies, from arab, to spanish, to punjabi, to chinese incoming signals from said countries. Good luck getting law enforcement to enforce that one.

BTW, in any event I get charged I will go with the Charter of Freedom and Rights. No government and no individual can prevent me from watching broadcast material from other countries, I don't live in North Korea.
Expand your moderator at work
49667909 (banned)
join:2012-05-10

49667909 (banned) to Xstar_Lumini

to Xstar_Lumini

Re: The Sad State of Rogers in Canada

said by Xstar_Lumini:

said by metalhawk:

Oh yeah and what great teeth that law has that every single highrise building in Toronto has like a million satellites on their balconies, from arab, to spanish, to punjabi, to chinese incoming signals from said countries. Good luck getting law enforcement to enforce that one.

BTW, in any event I get charged I will go with the Charter of Freedom and Rights. No government and no individual can prevent me from watching broadcast material from other countries, I don't live in North Korea.

They can stop you. You want to live in Canada you obey the laws of the land if not go some place else.