how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

lordfly

join:2000-10-12
Homestead, FL

[Wireless] lan mask limitation

I bought an e1200 for work and ran into a small issue. I am using this as an AP so I am not using the WAN port. Our network uses a mask of 255.255.0.0 but the router does not have this as a choice. So I just set the IP and put the mask to 255.255.255.0. It works fine but I have to manually change my IP address on my laptop to the same subject so I can manage it.

Has anyone else had to deal with this? Why was such a limitation created?

Mike Wolf

join:2009-05-24
Beachwood, NJ
kudos:4
well to answer the question of why this limitation exists, its because these routers are designed for residential use. The 255.255.255.0 subnet allows for a max of 254 usable host IP addresses in a class C subnet, where as 255.255.0.0 allows for 65534 usable host IP addresses which most likely is alot more then the DHCP server built into the router can handle (plus think of all the traffic that many computers can generate, it could simply overwhelm any consumer grade router) Here is a subnet calculator »www.subnet-calculator.com/subnet···_class=B as well as some information to read »www.joshgentry.com/networking/subnet.htm

I'm going to assume that the wireless device connecting to the e1200 are recieving an IP address from the DHCP server located on your network itself instead of the router, so I would personally just leave it setup the way you have it, or consider using the WAN port which will assign the router an IP address (and class B subnet) which you may then be able to access more easily (I mean my router is recieving 255.255.254.0 which is a class B subnet from Comcast), or perhaps consider using a business grade access point?

Bill_MI
Bill In Michigan
Premium,MVM
join:2001-01-03
Royal Oak, MI
kudos:2
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..

1 edit
reply to lordfly
"Why" is the good question. I'll guess that when netmasks had to be simplified down to "pick one" rather than entered, any network more than 256 addresses (255.255.255.0, A.K.A. /24) were simply ignored because the number of selections would explode.

This arbitrary limitation does go way back to the 2000 version of the BEFSR41.

e1200: »ui.linksys.com/files/E1200/2.0.00/
BEFSR41: »ui.linksys.com/files/BEFSR41/v1-v2/1.43.1BJ/

Not to mention the product viewpoint that this router *defines* a network and doesn't join one.

Mike Wolf

join:2009-05-24
Beachwood, NJ
kudos:4
well technically speaking a router connecting to a cable internet provider does connect to a DCHP served network.