spc
uniqs

SpottedCat
join:2004-06-27
Miami, FL

SpottedCat to nine9s2

to nine9s2

Re: [Praise] I cant believe how low my latency is on Comcast

Ping is indeed fairly good with Comcast. Unfortunately they seem to suffer from jitter, which can mean your round trip time to your default gateway (which is only one hop away!) can vary between 5ms and over 100ms.

Check out this ping graph for the past 32 hours. Every five minutes, ten pings are sent, and the lowest time is graphed in blue and the highest in green. Look at how many green spikes there are!

Ping bloat
@mycingular.net

Ping bloat

Anon

said by SpottedCat:

Check out this ping graph for the past 32 hours. Every five minutes, ten pings are sent, and the lowest time is graphed in blue and the highest in green. Look at how many green spikes there are!

The main reason this data is invalid is because so many people ping blast infrastructure causing ISPs to rate limit ICMP. Your conclusions are wrong and the false reporting is due to your (and others) arm chair network monitoring.

SpottedCat
join:2004-06-27
Miami, FL

SpottedCat

If ICMP were being rate limited, the result would be dropped packets, not delayed packets. Delaying ICMP accomplishes nothing; it's not like TCP where delaying a packet causes window sizes to shrink, lowering the transfer speed.

I *do* know what I'm talking about. At least for the most part.
28619103 (banned)
join:2009-03-01

28619103 (banned)

Measuring your latency and jitter is best to do from a known (managed by you) destination/end point and not ISP infrastructure.
bman212121
join:2005-06-09

1 edit

bman212121 to SpottedCat

to SpottedCat
Hmm... I wonder if something is configured differently in your area. You might even want to check the connection without a router. We have very consistent response times although I will say ping times have gone up since I switched to a D3 modem by about 2ms.

Running a simple ping for a minute from a command prompt shows min 6, max 22, and average of 8.

I'm not sure if I would agree with how the testing is being done though. An average would definitely be a good thing to have when looking at the numbers. If you have 9 packets that make it there in 10ms and one that is at 100, it doesn't necessarily equate to bad performance.