Premium Member
join:2001-01-22
Brooklyn, NY

Pirate515 to banditws6

Premium Member

to banditws6

Re: [Hurray!] AT&T to unlock iPhones starting 4/8

said by banditws6:

Jailbreaking yes, but I thought unlocking was a lot harder if your phone had a certain baseband version or newer.

If I remember it correctly, basebands on everything up to i3GS sold on or close to launch date were pretty easy to unlock. Then several months after 3GS was released, Apple made some tweaks to baseband that made unlocking next to impossible. Obviously, this trend continued with i4 and i4S.
said by banditws6:

At some point I thought the only way to unlock a phone in that state was to use an iPad baseband, but that this would render the GPS inoperable. Has this changed?

Never heard of flashing iPad baseband onto iPhones, but logically speaking, wouldn't doing so break the phone functionality since iPads don't have it, before breaking anything else?

banditws6
Shrinking Time and Distance
Premium Member
join:2001-08-18
Frisco, TX

banditws6

Premium Member

said by Pirate515:

said by banditws6:

At some point I thought the only way to unlock a phone in that state was to use an iPad baseband, but that this would render the GPS inoperable. Has this changed?

Never heard of flashing iPad baseband onto iPhones, but logically speaking, wouldn't doing so break the phone functionality since iPads don't have it, before breaking anything else?

Apparently not, at least if the various jailbreak/unlock tutorial websites are to be believed. iPads may not have a phone app, per se, but of course some do have 3G radios.

Here is one article on the subject, with the qualifier that I have no idea how credible the source is.

I would never do this myself as installing an iPad baseband on my iPhone sounds too janky for me, but supposedly it works.
said by Daemon:

So, did anyone try it today?

I'm thinking about trying this with my wife's 3GS when I get home from work. I've heard you're supposed to be able to do it from the AT&T website, but I've looked and I don't see how. I also read a user account that AT&T would not unlock his 3GS because he bought it at the Apple store instead of the AT&T store. Ridiculous if true.

SurfTheSky
Flyingphotog
MVM
join:2001-08-26
Fairfax, CA

SurfTheSky to Pirate515

MVM

to Pirate515
said by Pirate515:

said by banditws6:

Jailbreaking yes, but I thought unlocking was a lot harder if your phone had a certain baseband version or newer.

If I remember it correctly, basebands on everything up to i3GS sold on or close to launch date were pretty easy to unlock. Then several months after 3GS was released, Apple made some tweaks to baseband that made unlocking next to impossible. Obviously, this trend continued with i4 and i4S.
said by banditws6:

No, flashing the iPad baseband was standard protocol in the repair/unlocking shop I worked in. It worked well and did not disable the GPS to my knowledge.