Search similar:

uniqs
Gerryex
join:2006-05-19
Land O Lakes, FL

Gerryex

Caller ID Troubleshooter - It works!!

Hi ALL,

We all know that the Caller ID function is not a very robust implementation and more often than not just stops working. There are many posts about how to get it back which usually is some combo of disabling and then re-enabling it and possibly re-booting the router. Well, the other day I was watching TV and a call came in and I noticed there was no Caller ID.

So I went into the Caller ID settings and was going to disable it when my DVR decided to stop responding to remote commands. This is another known bug and usually after a little while it comes back. When it did come back I then noticed an option I had not seen before: Caller ID Troubleshooter. So I gave it a try. First it said it was loading something. Then it said it was correcting the problem and would take 60 seconds. The progress bar moved steadily and in what certainly seemed to be about 60 seconds it said it was fixed and would I like to have a test Caller ID sent. So I said OK, and within a few seconds a Caller ID window appeared with a dummy phone number and it asked me if I did get a Caller ID, and I said yes. Then I tested by calling from my cell phone and indeed it was now working again.

Many posts have indicated that there is some kind of physical info (the actual IP address of the DVR, I think) that is used to send the Caller ID info to and that physical info can change and when it does Caller ID stops working until some maintenance routine resets the info. It seemed to me that during that 60 second correction phase that the DVR was sending the necessary info to the Caller ID server so that it would then start working again.

Well, it certainly would have been nicer if Vz designed a more robust Caller ID system, but at least now there is a simple solution to fix it when it stops working!

Gerry
kes601
join:2007-04-14
Virginia Beach, VA

kes601

»Caller ID
Gerryex
join:2006-05-19
Land O Lakes, FL

Gerryex

Caller ID Troubleshooter - It works!! *** NO IT DOESN'T *****

I SPOKE TOO SOON!!!!

Well, in my original post I was gushing on how well the troubleshooter worked. Then the other day the phone rang while I was watching TV and I was surprised that the Caller ID did NOT come up! So after I was done with the call I ran through the troubleshooter again and as before it sent a test Caller ID which did show up. So I took my cell phone and called and when the phone rang NO CALLER ID!! I ran through the trouble shooter two more times each ending with the test Caller ID but no Caller ID with a real call! I then disabled it and re-enabled (the old try-to-fix-it method) it and will try again in a day or two.

WHAT A HORRIBLE IMPLEMENTATION of the Caller ID! The engineer that designed it should be fired! One of the remarks in the other thread is that Vz made such a bad design that they had to come up with this troubleshooter and that they should have spent the time and money to redesign the Caller ID so it WORKS ALL THE TIME!!!!!

Gerry

bohratom
My Jersey Giants finally winning again..
join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ

bohratom to Gerryex

to Gerryex

Re: Caller ID Troubleshooter - It works!!

I like when you lose CIDTV and use the troubleshooter and low and behold the test callerID message never goes away (happend to me twice already). Now you either have to redo the troubleshooter or reboot the STB.