All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

boo
@rogers.com

boo to boo

Anon

to boo

Re: [Express] Any free way to get 70GB BW Allowance on SB5100?

Thank you for the replies so far. How do you file a complaint with the CRTC? Can I have a copy of your complaint? I would like to send them one too.

When I spoke with the CSR I kept complaining how I am being charged an extra $2 for these enhancements and not being able to experience any of it and the guy said no, you are not being charged extra for the enhancements. It is just a readjustments of their service fees. But the letter they sent me says in their own words that they had to increase the fees because the cost of providing me with the services has gone up, in part because of the many enhancements they have launched. If they created a new tier and called it Express+ and left my fee the same I have no problem with that, but to charge more, admit it's due to the enhancements and yet won't provide me with a single enhancement unless I pay another $1.50 on top of the extra $2 just infuriates me. They really should have or should only be allowed to have done this by providing the customer with the option of paying an extra $3.50 for those who want to upgrade their current speed and BW allowance. Forcing everyone on express to pay extra an extra $2, even the people who don't want to upgrade to the wireless gateway, that's just BS.

I'd love to switch to TS or some other ISP on cable but my cable line has been perpetually broken/weak signal and Roger's won't fix it properly. I'm not going to pay $99 each time I have a problem. Every year when it get's really cold outside the cable modem loses signal, at least twice a year.

About the new product code, well that's what he was sort of telling me. He kept saying it's a new package, that it's a bundle, you have to have the new speed to get the new allowance. If it's a new package then call it a new package, it's that simple. Why make it confusing. I'm on Express yet I'm stuck at 12mbps and 60gb.

And about the new modem, I'm not sure what people mean, but I read that if I get their new modem/gateway, rogers will be able to see/monitor any device attached to my lan. Is this true? What if there is a smoothwall right after the gateway, that will block whatever rogers can do/see/monitor right?

yyzlhr
@rogers.com

yyzlhr

Anon

This is nothing new. Rogers has several iterations of the Express and Extreme tiers that all have different speed, caps and hardware requirements. Your current express tier is considered grandfathered and if you want the extra usage you need to take it in conjunction with the 18mbps. To get the 18mbps they're requiring customers to have a D3 modem which I think is fair considering the D3 provides much better performance during congested periods compared to the D2. You can write to the CRTC. I'm no legal expert, so I have no idea what the CRTC can and cannot do in this regard. But considering that this is a practice that Rogers has been engaging in for years and the CRTC has said nothing, I doubt they'll do anything in this situation.
coolio10
join:2011-10-28

coolio10 to boo

to boo
You are actually only 10mbps down unless you have a D3 modem. I upgraded to the Cisco one last week since i needed that extra 10GB anyway. The wireless portion is definitely garbage, it keeps dropping devices, so i just had to use my own netgear which is 1 million times better.

Yea, rogers needs to fire whoever picks their equipment, he must be taking bribes to keep picking the Cisco garbage, when companies like Arris and Motorola have far superior equipment like the one Shaw has.

As soon as Rogers introduces another D3 modem within the next year i'm trading this Cisco in.

Whether Rogers knows what illegal stuff your downloading or not, it doesn't matter. I got that warning email from them once and nothing ever happened. Do you really think they will drop you as a customer over something that affects them in no way.

elitefx
join:2011-02-14
London, ON

elitefx to boo

to boo
said by boo :

How do you file a complaint with the CRTC?

Just go to the CRTC website. Click on "Contact Us" and follow the links.
elitefx

3 edits

elitefx to yyzlhr

to yyzlhr
said by yyzlhr :

You can write to the CRTC. I'm no legal expert, so I have no idea what the CRTC can and cannot do in this regard.

The CRTC cannot tell Rogers how to deliver their service. The focus is not on Express speeds/cap. The focus is on Rogers dictating "no 3rd party D3 modems" and charging D2 users $48.99 for an advertised Express tier and then wilfully engaging in a Denial of Service of that advertised Express tier. There is only ONE advertised Express tier. The law says that if you advertise it then you better live up to your claims. Rogers has been fined for false claims before. The onus is on Rogers to deliver the service to the best of their ability. Whether or not D2 users can take full advantage of said service is not Rogers concern.
Rogers is also creating an unfair trade practice of refusing to activate 3rd party Docsis 3 modems. Rogers is arbitrarily excluding other modem vendors from the cable internet marketplace.
This "no 3rd party D3 modems" will be of particular interest to the Competion Bureau of Canada which, common sense would dictate, will find Rogers activities illegal. Stay tuned on this one.......

boo
@rogers.com

boo to coolio10

Anon

to coolio10
said by coolio10:

Whether Rogers knows what illegal stuff your downloading or not, it doesn't matter. I got that warning email from them once and nothing ever happened. Do you really think they will drop you as a customer over something that affects them in no way.

That's not what I meant, I know Rogers can do that. Someone said on another forum that Rogers has access to your lan with the new modem/gateway. I wanted to understand what they mean by "access" to every computer on the lan. If that means they can view any file like my bank records then I want to know. Otherwise I don't understand why people were making such a stink about it. Something must have changed in Rogers' favor. That's what I'm trying to find out.
coolio10

coolio10

I am sure its possible for them to get into your LAN with ANY router if they really wanted to, but why would they? They have nothing to accomplish by "hacking" you. The only reason people bring it up is because some people will say anything to make Rogers look "evil".

Yes it is possible, but were talking about an ISP here, not the FBI.
Any network can be snooped without the right protection, who manufactures the device doesn't matter.

yyzlhr
@rogers.com

yyzlhr to boo

Anon

to boo
Rogers has access to the router configuration when using their D3 gateways. That's about it.

boo
@rogers.com

boo to coolio10

Anon

to coolio10
said by coolio10:

The only reason people bring it up is because some people will say anything to make Rogers look "evil".

Thanks. That's what I figured, but wanted to check.
coolio10

coolio10

Just to clarify, i am not saying Rogers isn't evil. Just that some will only say bad things if possible, even when (if) they do something useful.