All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

yyzlhr
@rogers.com

yyzlhr to boo

Anon

to boo

Re: [Express] Any free way to get 70GB BW Allowance on SB5100?

This is nothing new. Rogers has several iterations of the Express and Extreme tiers that all have different speed, caps and hardware requirements. Your current express tier is considered grandfathered and if you want the extra usage you need to take it in conjunction with the 18mbps. To get the 18mbps they're requiring customers to have a D3 modem which I think is fair considering the D3 provides much better performance during congested periods compared to the D2. You can write to the CRTC. I'm no legal expert, so I have no idea what the CRTC can and cannot do in this regard. But considering that this is a practice that Rogers has been engaging in for years and the CRTC has said nothing, I doubt they'll do anything in this situation.

elitefx
join:2011-02-14
London, ON

3 edits

elitefx

said by yyzlhr :

You can write to the CRTC. I'm no legal expert, so I have no idea what the CRTC can and cannot do in this regard.

The CRTC cannot tell Rogers how to deliver their service. The focus is not on Express speeds/cap. The focus is on Rogers dictating "no 3rd party D3 modems" and charging D2 users $48.99 for an advertised Express tier and then wilfully engaging in a Denial of Service of that advertised Express tier. There is only ONE advertised Express tier. The law says that if you advertise it then you better live up to your claims. Rogers has been fined for false claims before. The onus is on Rogers to deliver the service to the best of their ability. Whether or not D2 users can take full advantage of said service is not Rogers concern.
Rogers is also creating an unfair trade practice of refusing to activate 3rd party Docsis 3 modems. Rogers is arbitrarily excluding other modem vendors from the cable internet marketplace.
This "no 3rd party D3 modems" will be of particular interest to the Competion Bureau of Canada which, common sense would dictate, will find Rogers activities illegal. Stay tuned on this one.......