spc
Search similar:

uniqs

f0rtys3ven
join:2011-09-01
Lansing, MI

f0rtys3ven

[Classes] Hunter Help.

So I have scrolled to 80 and leveled to 82 as a Surv hunter. So I basically have 2 levels played. Prev the highest hunter I had was 20.

I am seeing some nice dps. between 5 - 10k depending on how tight my rotation is.

Currently I am starting. Serpent, Black, ES, CS, CS, CS, ES ...

My biggest issue is what to do with all the other shots.

Concusive shot = kiting only ?
Wyrn Sting = pvp. is it basically a sap?
Tranq Shot = shoot at enraged bitches ?
Distract Shot = worthless .
I know I am missing some.

If I need to inturupt what do I use ?
As surv do I not have silencing shot ?
What are you favorite utilities you have as a hunter ?

Also, as not BM how important is pet management? Should I be using my pets abilities or is auto use efficient enough where I don't have to micro him too.

Thanks for the info.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
join:2010-01-07
Evans, GA

Immer

Premium Member

I recommend grabbing a tanking pet, and playing with all of the situational shots.

distract/concussive into a frost trap is a good way to grab the attention of an add you need to kite.

wyvern sting is another CC more like a rogue's blind than a sap. It is short, but a good SV hunter can freeze one, sting the other, let the tank do his thing, then MD the stung target to the tank once it wears off.

Pet management is still an issue, because of how much of your dps is pet-related. Outside of a mob actually targeting your pet, there are so few mechanics in game right now that hurt your pet, it should be fairly obvious when your pet will need "saving".

I don't think you have an Interrupt as an SV hunter.

Ginjer
Premium Member
join:2009-08-14
Earth

Ginjer to f0rtys3ven

Premium Member

to f0rtys3ven
Forty, I am pretty sure your rotain is spot on. As SUR you have no real interrupt, but you do have the potential to CC 2 x mobs. Wyvern Sting puts one to sleep and your Frost trap keeps one CCd for a minute. I can't remember the addon, but I will let you know tonight. You are in Aftershock right? If so, I will let you know. I like disengage and detterence. They are both great, and Feign Death is your friend.

CpnObvious
join:2010-05-05
Alexandria, VA

CpnObvious to Immer

to Immer
said by Immer:

I don't think you have an Interrupt as an SV hunter.

You don't have a true interrupt, but for non-boss mobs scatter and wyvern can serve an equivalent function.

For mobs immune to stuns/mezzes or bosses you're SOL.

f0rtys3ven
Lansing, MI

f0rtys3ven to Ginjer

to Ginjer
Yea I am in Aftershock.

No interrupts. Best news today.

What are your guy's major glyphs. Currently I am wyrn, trap launcher, disengage.

Running Arcane, Explosive, and Kill shot for the big ones.

Ginjer
Premium Member
Earth

Ginjer

Premium Member

Check out Ginjer on Armory. I have a BM and SUR spec, and you can check glyphs there. I am behind a firewall now. I know Trap, not sure about the other two.

f0rtys3ven
Lansing, MI

f0rtys3ven

me firewalld too.

Ill check tonight.

Thanks

Ginjer
Premium Member
Earth

Ginjer

Premium Member

No problem brother. We have a solid group forming up in Aftershock. Some have been doing the LFR, so I can see us having some fun in there soon.

f0rtys3ven
Lansing, MI

f0rtys3ven

Personally I LOVE min and maxing, which is why I had such an obessision with this game. I believe that we will def have some fun. I can't wait to 20+k deeps or better.

Also, I am giddy to run H deadmines. Just need to get to 85.

Ginjer
Premium Member
Earth

Ginjer

Premium Member

Forty, we will give you the trick to getting geared quick. Trust me, we got Kris to IL 375 in less than three days. We will hook you up!
cymraeg
Thread Killer
Premium Member
join:2011-06-07
Dodge, NE

cymraeg to f0rtys3ven

Premium Member

to f0rtys3ven
on a future note, mists brings a level 90 talent i believe to where you are either a machine gun turret, or a rail gun, where you target your furthest mob and any mob inbetween you and it will be hit with the same shot, imagine asking ppl to gather mobs in front of the boss so you can hit all of them before it gets to it.

f0rtys3ven
Lansing, MI

f0rtys3ven to Ginjer

to Ginjer
Good stuff

I am half blues already, but still tryin to ditch a couple greens I scrolled with.

Got a bow and staff though.

Ginjer
Premium Member
Earth

Ginjer

Premium Member

Well, I am actually able to do 20k DPS in Beast Master spec. I think that is bad ass. Survival is more though. But Arch cheats on the DK, so he is out DPSing everyone by like 10k. Hax.
cymraeg
Thread Killer
Premium Member
Dodge, NE

cymraeg to f0rtys3ven

Premium Member

to f0rtys3ven
its funny watching these mists vids of hunters standing point blank on a mob steady shooting at them, that 0 min range thing is gonna be murder in pvp.

f0rtys3ven
Lansing, MI

f0rtys3ven

0 min.

srsly.

lol the cute newbs can't handle a lil run and gun.

Ginjer
Premium Member
Earth

Ginjer

Premium Member

That is awesome. I hated the damn Raptor Strike/Wing Clip/etc.

f0rtys3ven
Lansing, MI

f0rtys3ven

With disengage 0 min shouldn't be neccessary.

Now we can stack a whole raid on a bosses ass.

Great.
cymraeg
Thread Killer
Premium Member
Dodge, NE

cymraeg

Premium Member

Blizz wanted to take hunters to their base ability which is shooting shit, i havent seen a char screen yet but i had heard that you dont even have a melee slot to equip one, and the stats on ranged have been upped, this is conjecture so take it for what it is.
cymraeg

cymraeg

Premium Member

oh and you have new expertise and hit caps, hit is 7.5 % and i think ex is 7.25% something like that, so ya youll be reforging immediately upon entering mists
djlar
join:2009-04-23

djlar to Ginjer

to Ginjer
Yeah DW Frost does massive deeps, specially add fights..

For hunter, yeah, SV is the best right now.. sorry but BM doesn't come close.

Filler shot should be Arcane shot, specially if you have 4 piece for a mini lust every 90 secs or so..

Always have traps going for very often LnL procs, so explosive shot should be your #1 dps on charts..

For pets could be anything, just try to fill up what's missing in raid/group.

f0rtys3ven
Lansing, MI

f0rtys3ven

Right now I am running a cunning owl pet.

I really am not sure on pets. I don't think my talent tree is ideal and I am not sure if a cunning pet is a dps loss. I ues him for looks mostly.

questions
Ferocity gives a buff?
Tenacity is pvp?
Cunnings good trait ?
You can only have so many actions on the bar at a time. Does that mean the pet can only do those things ?

Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
Evans, GA

Immer to djlar

Premium Member

to djlar
said by djlar:

Always have traps going for very often LnL procs, so explosive shot should be your #1 dps on charts..

caveat: on fights where traps cannot get tripped, you'll have to settle for black arrow.

f0rtys3ven
Lansing, MI

f0rtys3ven

Isn't black arrow the correct choice if its a one person fight as well ?

Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
Evans, GA

Immer

Premium Member

as long as the explosion trap fires, and you don't lose time with the launcher, then I think ET is slightly higher dps. However, trap launcher takes time... hard to execute flawlessly over a 6min fight. safer bet is to go with Black Arrow.
djlar
join:2009-04-23

djlar

ET for fights with tons of adds, like Yor'Sahj when black is present, combine it with freeze and LnL will be proccing like crazy..
clawfury
join:2012-02-14
Rochester, MI

clawfury to f0rtys3ven

to f0rtys3ven
I'm a CATA baby as far as hunters go - but I'm pretty experienced with Survival. I'm ilvl 380 and average around 28-30k single target without gimmicks on a fight with light movement and limited target switching. Your rotation looks accurate. As your gear improves, you'll find little tricks to improve your dps. Here's my tips:
- When you proc a lock and load, hit your first ES and then use an arcane shot before you hit ES again. I've found that if your latency is relatively low, you can clip the DOT on your first ES and reduce your damage. If your latency is high, this may not matter to you.
- Pay attention to your focus, if you have ES on CD, BA on CD, and have enough extra focus to use an arcane shot without making you wait fory our next BA/ES, use it.
- Pet management (for example, on Hagara during phase transitions - call the pet back to avoid its death) is essential to keeping up good dps. Losing your pet is a significant drop to your dps.
- Make a focus macro for the tank, and use it frequently to MD. It's very helpful with multiple adds to give the tank that extra bit of threat.

Hope this helps!

f0rtys3ven
Lansing, MI

f0rtys3ven

Thanks for the advice guys.

Since no one mentioned the pet type as a major dps concern I am going to stick with the owl for looks.

Let me know if there is a significant DPS difference in pet types.
cymraeg
Thread Killer
Premium Member
Dodge, NE

cymraeg

Premium Member

for straight dps a dog or cat is best, depending on which buff your group needs, once mists hits you can make any pet any type, your owl can be a ferocious, cunning or tenacity it will not matter

f0rtys3ven
Lansing, MI

f0rtys3ven

KK. guess I am going pet hunting tonight.

anyone know of any lvl 81/82 cats or dogs off hand?

Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
Evans, GA

1 edit

Immer

Premium Member

you can get a coyote from Uldum ~83 (Cradle of the Ancients area).

edit: Read this for clearer idea on Cata pet choice: »www.warcrafthuntersunion ··· taclysm/