uniqs

porkpie
No Pork For 40 Days
join:2001-05-28
Cleveland, OH

porkpie to Gbcue

to Gbcue

Re: Best Budget Blu-Ray Player

Put in "Blu Ray Players under $100" in google and you will get results right away, I just did it!
Hope that this helps

Harddrive
Proud American and Infidel since 1968.
Premium Member
join:2000-09-20
Fort Worth, TX

Harddrive to Gbcue

Premium Member

to Gbcue
Here.
»www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers
Just look through and find what you want. This site isn't that well known but it is a goldmine for finding what you want.

Weirdal
Premium Member
join:2003-06-28
Grand Island, NE

Weirdal to Gbcue

Premium Member

to Gbcue
There are seriously so many terrible Blu-Ray players on the market these days. It's even worse than when DVD players were starting to get big. Most have terrible, unresponsive interfaces and really long load times. I've seen some decent Sony brand ones, but they were all well above $100.

After going through two shitty ones that retailed for around $100 or so, I ended up just getting a PS3 and I've been pleased with it. It's a quality piece of hardware and even if you view it as solely a Blu-ray player, it's very comparable to standalone players in the same price range. Wifi and Netflix integration, and they just recently added Amazon VOD so if you have Prime you can take advantage of that.

I know this doesn't help Gbcue at all, but just in case someone else is looking for one and doesn't have some silly qualms about Sony products.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member
join:2004-06-21

Anonymous_ to thegeek

Premium Member

to thegeek
said by thegeek:

Do you seriously need to update the firmware? As you said, you won't be using the Netflix, etc crap. You just need a basic player. Personally, I'd just spend a little extra and get a PS3. That way you can play games too.

no firmware update = no playing of new blu-ray disks with newer encryption keys.

useless brick in the end
Anonymous_

1 edit

Anonymous_ to BlitzenZeus

Premium Member

to BlitzenZeus
said by BlitzenZeus:

HD DVD wasn't inferior, the drm with blu-ray was the big reason the studios wanted it, and came with it the need for firmware updates to players to play the newest disks when they change the drm. They do have more capacity, but Sony has never been known for being consumer friendly with drm. Remember the cd audio rootkit scandal where they installed a rootkit without user permission, or intervention? All of those cds were recalled, and felt like they had the right to install software on computers without the users permission.

They also make the VHS to DVD Recoder that COPYS, COPY protected VHS tapes.

The transfers from the VHS to the DVD-R format has better picture quality and audio

DAC is removed from the equation resulting in better video output and audio
said by Hayward0:

said by jabarnut:

Since nobody else has, may I be so bold as to ask why no Sony products?

Let me count the ways

1 The abandoned the superior quality Betamax long before the end of the VCR era. When they said they wouldn't.
6 Trinitron TVs almost always turned green after a few years.

Betamax was not abandoned it was used commercially. up in tell a 2-3 years ago and is still used in places were they can not afford to upgrade.

Have a Trinitron that is 27 years old still works perfect and bright as the day it was bought. one from 2004 and a High definition Trinitron 2006 that still works good.