join:2002-12-24
Long Island
kudos:3
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·Verizon FiOS
·Vonage

Sirius Sportster 5 Vehicle Kit Question

Here is the long and the short of it. In my last car, Sirius wasn't built-in, so I picked up a Sirius Sportster 5 unit. I purchased a vehicle kit for it at the time, and had it professionally installed at a local car radio shop. I have since gotten a new car, but forgot I had the receiver, and forgot to cancel my service. So, I was renewed, and rather than spend eons on the phone with high BP trying to cancel it, I figure I'd hook my parents up with a free year on this unit.

When I sold my car, I only took the receiver itself, and the cradle that attaches it to the window. I do not have the power cord (to hard wire into the vehicle), or the 1/8" jack (I think that's what it is) to wire from receiver to the AUX port, or the antenna.

After some brief Amazon and Crutchfield searching, it appears the Sportster 5 Vehicle kit is no longer available, but there are these odd "generic" kits that allegedly fit.

Not wanting to mess around too much in the interest of time, am I better off buying a compatible antenna, a long-enough cord to attach to the AUX port/receiver, and then let the car shop install whatever they need to power the unit via the car's electric?

Just looking for some suggestions, thanks.
--
He used to say that soul shine, is better than sunshine, better than moonshine, damn sure better than rain.

Debunking the 2012 hysteria. | Always looking for a new job | Begging the Wilpons to sell the Mets.

Hank
Searching for a new Frontier
Premium
join:2002-05-21
Burlington, WV
kudos:2

Did you check at the Sirius store?

Jeffrey
Connoisseur of leisurely things
Premium
join:2002-12-24
Long Island
kudos:3
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·Verizon FiOS
·Vonage

said by Hank:

Did you check at the Sirius store?

I did check there, but unless I'm mistaken, that's where I can get refurbished item, as well as a "compatible" vehicle kit. With that said, the vehicle kit doesn't look like (to me) it contains the necessary hardware to hard-wire the unit to the vehicle from a power standpoint.

telco_mtl

join:2012-01-06

i have the sportster 5, ive had a few cradles break, ive found they are standard model to model so i just head to wally world and buy the cheapest radio (they come with cradles) and use its cradle and toss the radio, its cheaper than buying the cradle alone