Reviews:
·Clearwire Wireless
·Time Warner Cable
reply to AVD

Re: In our State's defense...

said by AVD:

said by Snowy:

[
We're riding into the digital age by the seat of our pants which is a blast on one hand but it does have it's drawbacks.

we need laws to define what is acceptable in the digital world to society & what isn't, like it or not.

why? why do we need government involved. Why doesn't the industry police itself?

Silly me.
I totally forgot about The Internet Industry
Whatever or whoever that is, I'd rather have challenged but accountable legislatures writing/enforcing the rules.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
kudos:1

1 edit

1 recommendation

free speech isn't free if it is regulated. The internet does not change existing law, except for the fact that interstate commerce is not regulatable by the state anyway.
--
--Standard disclaimers apply.--
The preceding posting is null and void in Arizona and any other jurisdiction where prohibited by law.

edit: spelling

armed

join:2000-10-20
Reviews:
·Charter

said by AVD:

free speach isn't free if it is regulated. The internet does not change existing law, except for the fact that interstate commerce is not regulatable by the state anyway.

It seems like techno nerds are akin to geese... every morning its a brand new day.

The free speech amendment has limits and we have a myriad of laws that put limits on it from 100's of years of evolution in this area. The Supreme Court (even the new right wing political active Supremes) sees legitimate limits to free speech.

Your understanding of the interstate commerce provisions leaves a lot to be desired. Using your interpretation if I travel across a state line and commit murder the state cannot prosecute it?

Using a system that crosses state lines does not make all things involved in that use solely a federal matter.

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch
kudos:2
reply to Snowy

said by Snowy:

I'd rather have challenged but accountable legislatures writing/enforcing the rules.

Which makes my point exactly!

As does the post immediately above.
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

EGeezer
zichrona livracha
Premium
join:2002-08-04
Midwest
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Callcentric

Apparently this knee-jerk feel-good legislation is being reviewed to try to fix constitutional issues;

... Horowitz's (David Horowitz of the Media Coalition, a legal association that represents businesses' First Amendment interests,) group sent a letter to Gov. Jan Brewer after the bill passed on March 29 urging her to veto it because it "plainly violates the First Amendment." He said Jon Stewart's comedy routines, Rush Limbaugh's radio show, and even angry online banter among fans of rival sports teams could face prosecution if an Arizona resident were offended by their profanity or lewdness.

Arizona lawmakers have stopped the bill from going to Brewer's desk for now and plan to alter it.

Well, raising those possibilities should rile a huge portion of the Arizona citizenry, especially those who are concerned with individual rights and minimizing government intervention into public or private speech matters.

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch
kudos:2

said by EGeezer:

...especially those who are concerned with individual rights and minimizing government intervention into public or private speech matters.

Well many don't care or have no problem with that as evidenced by many postings in this thread.

BTW it illustrates, to all, the great philosophical divide in the US today. No consensus is possible between the two views.
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

JALevinworth

@embarqhsd.net

said by StuartMW:

said by EGeezer:

...especially those who are concerned with individual rights and minimizing government intervention into public or private speech matters.

Well many don't care or have no problem with that as evidenced by many postings in this thread.

BTW it illustrates, to all, the great philosophical divide in the US today. No consensus is possible between the two views.

To be fair, there is a third group of "one is not mutually exclusive of the other" which is more of the sense I get rather than only 2 opposing views that's all or nothing. That's fine if you feel it is all or nothing too. Personally, I tend to explore things from all sides before conclusion.

-Jim

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
kudos:1
reply to armed

said by armed:

It seems like techno nerds are akin to geese... every morning its a brand new day.

please stop bullying me, your statement annoys and offends me.

b.t.w. I didn't read any of your drivel beyond what I quoted.
--
--Standard disclaimers apply.--
The preceding posting is null and void in Arizona and any other jurisdiction where prohibited by law.

armed

join:2000-10-20
Reviews:
·Charter

said by AVD:

said by armed:

BTW

I don't think you could comprehend it and secondly I don't care. Really.

Thaler
Premium
join:2004-02-02
Los Angeles, CA
kudos:3

said by armed:

said by AVD:

said by armed:

BTW

I don't think you could comprehend it and secondly I don't care. Really.

Case in point, your posts could be viewed as harassment, and under this law, subject to AZ prosecution. This is the danger in laws with very lax interpretation. One person's "deal with it" is another person's abuse.

Snowy
Premium
join:2003-04-05
Kailua, HI
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Clearwire Wireless
·Time Warner Cable

said by Thaler:

Case in point, your posts could be viewed as harassment, and under this law, subject to AZ prosecution. This is the danger in laws with very lax interpretation. One person's "deal with it" is another person's abuse.

Yup, that's a case in point.
Dialog between 2 anonymous people.
How far do you think a (AZ) John Doe vs John Doe is going to get?
John Doe is going to prevail but how can we know which John Doe?
OT but, somewhere out there, really out there, there's probably a set of parents named 'Doe' with a perverted sense of humor in naming a son.