join:2009-06-15
Canada

4 edits

Davesnothere

Premium Member

Cogeco Area Modem List

Click for full size

BYOM (Borg Your Own Modem) for COGECO

Do you already HAVE a Cable Modem and wonder what modems Cogeco likes ?

Currently, it's only THESE few (above) :

Screen grab is from the START web site order form, on the same page as for Rogers, er, I mean The Cable ISP who does not want their name mentioned .

Firmware revisions matter too, though one person has posted here about success (over the weekend) in updating a Cisco DPC3000 from earlier firmware to current.

»Advanced package in Cogeco areas

The most interesting part was that the MAC of the modem was not yet registered to Cogeco, AFAIK.
Davesnothere

Davesnothere

Premium Member

R####s Area Modem List

BTW, for modems accepted in Mister R####s' Neighbourhood see »Supported cable modems
Davesnothere

1 edit

Davesnothere

Premium Member

Ahem : REVISED LIST for R####s

The list now has more models added and others removed (Scroll down linked page for newest info) :

»Rogers Area Modem List

I will post below if/when the Cogeco list has changed.
Davesnothere

4 edits

Davesnothere

Premium Member

REVISED Modem List for GOUGEco

Click for full size

As you will see in the attached pic, modem CHOICES for a Cogeco feed have not changed, but the PRICE to BUY a modem in some cases has.

When it was first offered by START, their net selling price to us for ANOTHER Docsis 3 cable modem was about $100.

Unfortunately, SLOWgeco has not approved any other D3 modems.

Now we are looking at about $130 to buy the Cisco.

The Cisco D3 class modems (DPC3000, Hardware Rev 2) are generally hard to find at ANY price, as they are now a discontinued model, and rather few remain in 'the channel'.

It makes you wonder - Does Cogeco own shares in Cisco ?

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
join:2008-11-16
London, ON

rocca

Premium Member

Just a small correction, we never advertised the DPC3000 for $100.

The issue was that the signup page was Red only originally however some people pre-signed up for Cogeco and selected the DCM475 at $99.95 but as you know that modem is not supported on Cogeco. In good faith we honoured the $99.95 price (taking a loss in the process) for those that really needed a DPC3000. Once the signup form was updated for Cogeco areas the option to buy a modem properly reflects the DPC3000 and its price of $129.95 including shipping.

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
Canada

1 edit

Davesnothere

Premium Member

Ya know something ?

I think yer right about that.

Will amend my post.

Would it be safe to say that you are still trying to get Cogeco to approve the 475 modem (and/or the new 476), and that they would still be priced closer to $100 if approved ?

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
join:2008-11-16
London, ON

rocca

Premium Member

We're having a heck of a time with Technicolor providing resources. I can't yet really comment on what we're doing instead but I think everyone will be *quite* happy with the results.
diskdocx
join:2005-09-26
Burlington, ON

diskdocx to Davesnothere

to Davesnothere

Re: Cogeco Area Modem List

Are these the modems?

»www.ebay.ca/itm/Cisco-DP ··· 03086367

How do you check if the version is correct?

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

The first seller which became popular earlier during this year was a guy in Florida.

Note that on the above-linked page, they talk about using United Parcel Smashers (UPS) to ship to Canada.

If you choose that, expect a hefty brokerage fee added.

Last time that happened to me (several years ago), the fee was $35 on an item for which I had paid around $35.

The guy had promised to send it by P.O. but sent by UPS.

OY !

BTW, the item (a guitar part) was exactly as advertised, and in good condition.
Davesnothere

Davesnothere

Premium Member

Cogeco now officially supports another current model of D3 modem !

It was first posted here :

»Cogeco approved modems - update

I will check for a revised list on the START ordering page, and will post a screenshot if one exists.
Davesnothere

Davesnothere

Premium Member

Click for full size

This revised screenshot now shows the DCM476 modem as a BYOM choice.

It is not yet shown in the spot where START offers to SELL us a modem, but the price of the DPC3000 has been reduced up there.
Davesnothere

4 edits

Davesnothere

Premium Member

Just keeping things current.

And remember, that for the DCP3000, that the HARDWARE Rev being Version 2.0 is more important than what firmware it has, as Cogeco will try to push the updated firmware to it anyway, as soon as you hook it up and turn it on, and the modem will restart after that.

PLEASE ALLOW A FEW MINUTES for the update to complete and the modem to restart, the first time that you hook up a DPC3000 !

If this happens to an EARLIER HARDWARE rev model of this beast, the result is NOT PRETTY !

There are threads somewhere on DSLR where folks who did this share their laments.