join:2000-04-13
USA
kudos:24
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
·Speakeasy

1 edit

How to delete your Instagram account; and other Twitter

Facebook's announcement on Monday that it had agreed to acquire Instagram, the popular social photo application for iPhone and Android devices, for $1 billion cash sparked a loud reaction online.

And, as is the case with most breaking news, the best place to find instant commentary was not on Facebook. It was on Twitter, where some of Instagram's 30 million users expressed concern that the social network, which has long battled privacy concerns, would now have access to their uploaded Instagram photos.

"Uninstalling Instagram," Engadget co-founder Peter Rojas wrote in response to the news.

»news.yahoo.com/blogs/cutline/del···154.html

»news.yahoo.com/facebook-buying-p···545.html
--
JKK

Age is a very high price to pay for my maturity. If I can't stay young, I can at least stay immature!

»www.pbase.com/jaykaykay

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch
kudos:3

1 recommendation

Re: 145;How to delete your Instagram account146; and other Twitt

said by jaykaykay:

...Instagram's 30 million users expressed concern that the social network, which has long battled privacy concerns, would now have access to their uploaded Instagram photos.

Um isn't that a "Duh!"?

All your base images are belong to us!
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
Huh? What is a "duh" or should be you think?

I want to know what "145" "146" and the single letter "r" stand for in the title of this thread.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
Premium,MVM
USA
Darned if I know. That isn't how it was posted!

I just edited to fix it.

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch
reply to Mele20
Duh

quote:
Duh means "No shit sherlock" and/or "Thank you captain obvious"

I want to know what "145" "146" and the single letter "r" ...

Yes, inquiring minds would like to know...
--

Name Game
Premium
join:2002-07-07
Grand Rapids, MI
kudos:7

1 recommendation

reply to Mele20
145; and 146; are HTML symbol codes

»www.killersites.com/webDesigners···age2.htm

At time they appear that way instead of the ' symbol especially in the Forum's subject space. when one does a copy/paste.
--
Gladiator Security Forum
»www.gladiator-antivirus.com/

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI

1 recommendation

Ahh! Thanks for the explanation. I've seen that before here and wondered about it. I assume the stray "r" was the forum code cutting the title off at a certain number of characters and if it was copy/paste you wouldn't realize that would happen.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

Name Game
Premium
Grand Rapids, MI

1 edit
Exactly just as you said on the rest.

Some times it even happens when the poster has Mac

»home.tiscali.nl/t876506/Mac2.gif

And I am sure you have seen strange stuff like that in emails you get from certain people...I do too
»"Â" all over email - outlook express, xp

coding and computer languages are fun...for instance this is a line from shakespeare /(bb|[^b]{2})/ and I will let the experts figure out this shell code : (){ :|:& };:
--
Gladiator Security Forum

TheMG
Premium
join:2007-09-04
Canada
reply to jaykaykay

Re: How to delete your Instagram account; and other Twitter

This is the first time I've heard of Instagram. Didn't even know such a thing existed.

Name Game
Premium
Grand Rapids, MI
said by TheMG:

This is the first time I've heard of Instagram. Didn't even know such a thing existed.

You are not missing anything ..just crappy photos

»www.atlbanana.com/google-announc···-photos/

»backpackingdad.com/2011/03/i-fin···so-much/
--
Gladiator Security Forum

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI

1 recommendation

reply to Name Game

Re: 145;How to delete your Instagram account146; and other Twitt

Yep. I've seen strange stuff like that especially in OE. But what the heck is what is in my screen shot? It's from a member's website...a blog that is several years old. I've seen this same oddity at a number of websites over the years but never known what causes it. I see it on every browser so it is not a browser thing... maybe an XP thing? This person is no dummy when it comes to setting up a website so it must be some weird thing on my computer doing it! But what???
--

Name Game
Premium
Grand Rapids, MI

1 recommendation

You mean this one....
And the site is no longer valid XHTML (the little W3C image in the sidebar). Translation: the site might not render correctly sometimes. When I get a chance, Ill dig around and see what needs changing like I did last time I made some major changes. Until then, there might be an oddity here or there, but, I think itll be very minimal from the errors I saw called out.

»www.aaronhulett.com/?cat=1
and here too..
»www.aaronhulett.com/?p=248

but then look at this when Corrine posts

»www.aaronhulett.com/?p=233

Her posting does not have the mess.

The answer lies here with Leo
»ask-leo.com/why_do_i_get_odd_cha···nts.html

And other places..tweets are also a problem..

»stackoverflow.com/questions/4583···t-as-som
»www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/ucs/quotes.html

»www.google.com/#hl=en&rlz=1C2GGG···&bih=431
--
Gladiator Security Forum

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI

1 recommendation

Wow. Those articles were quite interesting. Thanks! I had no idea there were so many types of quotation marks. I liked reading the history of the mess (that I see at Aaron's site for example) and how it evolved from how things were set up for typewriter keyboards and then onward to the present time and computer keyboards. That German keyboard sure looks interesting...maybe more useful than English ones.

I didn't know Word has a feature called Smart Quotes. I went and looked for it. It must be in versions newer than my 2002.

I learned something interesting that I have wondered about for years and it was not dry, dull, boring information either.
--

Name Game
Premium
Grand Rapids, MI
And what is also interesting..If I copy and paste Aaron's blog post in the message section here at DSLR ...it cleans it up except for one bit .

"Today, October 11, is National Coming Out Day [wikipedia.org], a day meant to bring discussion about issues faced by the gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) community. You can read more about it at the Human Rights Campaign [hrc.org]. This year is a little more interesting as were currently fighting for domestic partnership rights here in Washington state. Referendum 71, as its known by, brings same-sex domestic partners, as well as seniors in committed relationships, the same rights as married couples, even though its not recognized as marriage. Given this is an ‘off year for elections, voting is going to be interesting, and Im of course mentioning it on Twitter and Facebook now and again. You can find out more about Referendum 71 at the Approve Referendum 71 website [approvereferendum71.org]. If youre here in Washington state, please remember: APPROVE referendum 71 when you get your ballot in the mail."
--
Gladiator Security Forum

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
The forum software doesn't know what to do with the one pair of quotation marks so it leaves the one mess but it fixes the instances where there is an apostrophe.
--

carpetshark3
Premium
join:2004-02-12
Idledale, CO
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
reply to jaykaykay

Re: How to delete your Instagram account; and other Twitter

What is so funny about this is when Instagram brought out an Android version, Iphone users were all upset - they thought they should have an exclusive.

»www.phonesreview.co.uk/2012/04/0···t-happy/

Now both Android and IOS are upset.

I'll bet most won't drop it.

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
Premium,MVM
USA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
·Speakeasy
What's even more interesting is all the info I got on what happened to my copy and paste as well as I've never Tweeted in my life and don't own an Android phone! I don't know about Instagram one wit, but I saw it come up as a new post and found it an interesting read once I started looking into it. I know one thing more and that is that at this point, I am not affected, but I knew others would be.
--
JKK

Age is a very high price to pay for my maturity. If I can't stay young, I can at least stay immature!

»www.pbase.com/jaykaykay

chachazz
Premium
join:2003-12-14
kudos:9
Reviews:
·TELUS
reply to jaykaykay
quote:
Do you use OpenPhoto?

Sean Kerner at InternetNews recently revealed the fact that Instagram which was recently acquired by Facebook uses Ubuntu Server 11.04 to power their cloud.

OpenPhoto which was a Kickstarter project and is becoming very popular in the wake of the Instagram acquisition is also powered by Ubuntu Server 11.04 but offers users the ability to take total ownership of their photos and rapidly deploy a crisp new way to manage photos.
What do Instagram and OpenPhoto have in common? Ubuntu! - via Planet Mozilla.
--
Gladiator Security Forum: www.gladiator-antivirus.com/

Name Game
Premium
Grand Rapids, MI

1 recommendation

reply to jaykaykay
10 Awesome Alternatives to Instagram
Instagram isn't the only app out there that can retro-fy your photos.

»www.pcmag.com/slideshow/story/29···nstagram
--
Gladiator Security Forum

Ian
Premium
join:2002-06-18
ON
said by Name Game:

So the Gist of that article is that you can do for free what Facebook just spent a billion dollars for?
--
“Any claim that the root of a problem is simple should be treated the same as a claim that the root of a problem is Bigfoot. Simplicity and Bigfoot are found in the real world with about the same frequency.” – David Wong

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
reply to Name Game
I don't get it. Instagram and these alternatives make digital photos look like they came from a REAL camera (actual film) from the 50's? Why would anyone want that? We'd still have real cameras if it wasn't for the nutty digital camera craze....so this doesn't make sense...but the insane, sudden, everything 50's craze that is all over now also makes no sense....sooo....
--

OZO
Premium
join:2003-01-17
kudos:2
reply to Ian
said by Ian:

said by Name Game:

So the Gist of that article is that you can do for free what Facebook just spent a billion dollars for?

I guess they have paid that ridiculous money not for the program itself, but for the database of photos already uploaded. They want user data. The deal is just a way to get it more...
--
Keep it simple, it'll become complex by itself...

Name Game
Premium
Grand Rapids, MI
still in the buy mode....

Facebook’s mobile shopping spree: First Instagram, now Tagtile

»venturebeat.com/2012/04/13/facebook-tagtile/
--
Gladiator Security Forum

FFH5
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
reply to jaykaykay
said by jaykaykay:

Facebook's announcement on Monday that it had agreed to acquire Instagram, the popular social photo application for iPhone and Android devices, for $1 billion cash sparked a loud reaction online.

And, as is the case with most breaking news, the best place to find instant commentary was not on Facebook. It was on Twitter, where some of Instagram's 30 million users expressed concern that the social network, which has long battled privacy concerns, would now have access to their uploaded Instagram photos.

"Uninstalling Instagram," Engadget co-founder Peter Rojas wrote in response to the news.

»news.yahoo.com/blogs/cutline/del···154.html

»news.yahoo.com/facebook-buying-p···545.html

Looks like a LOT MORE people like the fact Facebook bought them than they are upset by it. Instagram has added 10 million new customers in the 10 days since FB bought them:
»news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-574···1_3-0-20

Riding a wave of publicity from its billion-dollar purchase by Facebook and after finally opening up to Android, the photo-sharing phenomenon jumps from 30 million to 40 million users.

That's apparently how many Instagram users have been added in the last 10 days, jumping from a total of 30 million to 40 million.

Makes that old saw about there is no such thing as bad publicity seem true.

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch

1 recommendation

reply to jaykaykay
I just deleted an anonymous FlickR account that I hadn't used in years. Not much in it but I'd rather not leave stuff lying around for someone else to use.

Social media sites: 0
Photo sharing sites : 0
Smartphones: 0

Data to be mined: close to 0
--