All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Sobel
join:2012-04-04

Sobel

Upgraded plan but speed didn't increase

I upgraded from the 3.0 plan to 6.0 and the tech left my house earlier. When I login my router Westell modem at the 192.168 address I can see that my downstream and upstream has increased there, but all my downloads and speed tests still go the same speed as before, identical.

I've reset the modem but dont knwo what else to try. Thanks.
davidhoffman
Premium Member
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman

Premium Member

At the time you posted, how much time had past since the technician left your home? When I upgraded from 3.0 to 6.0 it took 24 hours after the technician left for it to become active.
Sobel
join:2012-04-04

Sobel

I spent an hour on the phone with AT&T and they did whatever it is they do, but no luck.

I'm still getting 3.0 speeds. She said it must be my modem. I have a Westell Versalink 327W. It's over 5-6 years old, would that matter?
davidhoffman
Premium Member
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman

Premium Member

Yes, it might. The manual, »www.westell.com/docs/sup ··· 6_ug.pdf, shows it is only compliant up to 8Mbps down using ADSL1 on page 155. It says it can be upgraded to ADSL2 and ADSL2+. By whom or how, I have no idea. You can either try and upgrade the 327W or replace it with a new better gateway or modem and WiFi router. I would get the Motorola DSL Modem Model 3360, »www.att.com/equipment/ac ··· q_model=, and add the WiFi router of your choice. I have had good luck with the VIZIO Dual-Band HD Wireless Internet Router Model#: XWR100 »www.walmart.com/ip/VIZIO ··· 15084467 and the Linksys E4200 Maximum Performance Dual-Band Router »www.walmart.com/ip/Linky ··· 16609284. If the modem stops working, you do not loose your home network at the same time, like you do with a gateway. If the WiFi router stops working, you do not loose your internet connection at the same time, like you do with a gateway.

If you still want a gateway, the Motorola WiFi Business Router Model 3347, »www.att.com/equipment/ac ··· q_model=, has a reputation for being long lasting. It is compatible with AT&T residential DSL. Setting it up may involve more keystrokes and mouse clicks than newer devices. It seems you are paying for rugged hardware, not super easy set up.