Always the green wire

join:2011-09-11
Mount Juliet, TN
kudos:1
reply to Snowy

Re: In our State's defense...

said by Snowy:

said by airwavz:

Bad stuff exists, bad PEOPLE exist - a thousand bad laws will NOT change that. If the majority of our society believe this is wrong, then it's up to those people to stand together and force those doing the wrong to stop

Yeah, nothing like the rugged independent vigilante to dispense fair justice on the spot.
Let's have a community picnic to discuss who needs fixin'.

Notice please I said "majority of our society", not "rugged independent vigilante" - there is a chasm of a difference there...

And frankly, a lot of crime was prevented in the 'old west' days by the simple fact that doing the 'wrong thing' could get you shot on the spot. I can say that as a child (before I understood laws and morality and had the religious beliefs I have today) the idea that I might be sent to the electric chair (or had the living s**t beat out of me) for doing wrong influenced many a decision to avoid what would have been "bad" behavior.

I don't agree with vigilante justice - heck, I don't even like violence, and when I was faced with a gun-wielding thug I actually diffused the situation by simply talking to the perpetrator and showing a little compassion for his issues - but therein lies my point; what he did was VERY MUCH against an existing law (several actually), but that law didn't stop him from pointing that gun at me! My explaining that even if he shot me it wouldn't change his circumstances, but allowing me to live would give us both a chance to change things for the better DID cause him to rethink his actions. Communication, reasoning, and like-minded individuals coming together to help one another (to stop a bully, feed the hungry, or end a war makes no difference) will always have far more power than a 'law' will. I personally believe the future of our democracy depends upon the power of 'each other' far more than the power of 'the law'.

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch
kudos:3

1 recommendation

said by airwavz:

My explaining that even if he shot me it wouldn't change his circumstances, but allowing me to live would give us both a chance to change things for the better DID cause him to rethink his actions.

Like this?
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

Snowy
Premium
join:2003-04-05
Kailua, HI
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Clearwire Wireless

1 recommendation

reply to airwavz
said by airwavz:

...but that law didn't stop him from pointing that gun at me!

That had to be an awful experience, I'm glad you're among us today.
Sure, laws don't prevent all crime, I'm not sure why that's even mentioned but the law or more specifically the laws penalty would reasonably have had some role
in your eventual safety, I'd think anyway.
What about the next victim who unfortunately doesn't have the composure to react as you did?
What remedy would the "majority of our society" offer in the absence of law?

said by airwavz:

I personally believe the future of our democracy depends upon the power of 'each other' far more than the power of 'the law'.

That's not as futuristic as you may think it is.
The "majority of our society" could exist with minimal law.
It's a "small minority of society" that creates the need for law.