share rss forum feed

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5

1 edit

Let's Start Something, Vince Cerf, Google Activism

I guess you all have the email by now (although I sure as heck don't know how Google got the particular email address they sent it to as almost no one has this particular email address and it is rarely used).

What do you guys think? This came out of left field and I would like to like Google getting involved in getting internet users to stop just reacting to bad legislation regarding the net and instead inspire discussion and activism regarding the internet. But Google doing this?

I still haven't actually opened the email as I thought it was spam and looks like it is from Google AdSense! But it's evidently a real email from Vince Cerf inviting activism on my part as to what I think the net is/should be all about....but, alas, my input is wanted via Twitter, Google+ or FB. That turns me off tremendously. So, how do any of us who aren't sheeple participate? Is our input not wanted? I suppose not. Internet seems a done deal already to me...so what is Google's purpose in this? To see if my email address is live?

Thoughts please.
»www.digitaltrends.com/web/lets-s···ctivism/

Edit: The email, I remembered, I signed the Google anti-Sopa petition so evidently all4 million plus who signed got this email.

--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

Kilroy
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-21
Saint Paul, MN
said by Mele20:

Edit: The email, I remembered, I signed the Google anti-Sopa petition so evidently all4 million plus who signed got this email.

Yes, that's where it came from and I believe it is referenced in the e-mail. I got one too.
--
When will the people realize that with DRM they aren't purchasing anything?

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
reply to Mele20
I'd say Google is doing it because Vint Cerf wants to, and Vint Cerf probably cares about the internet because he helped invent the damn thing.

Name Game
Premium
join:2002-07-07
Grand Rapids, MI
kudos:7

4 recommendations

reply to Mele20
I am concerned that the Internet has become the basis of reality for too many issues in life that are not productive and for the last 5 years just utterly a false premise of facts as related to "News Events". Once on the Internet these things have a half-life of too many years and never go away. I gave up on TV for the same reason.

I certainly do not want to control what access anyone has on the Internet. It's all out there..good and bad in this day and age of Information Overload. It is a powerful media..still untapped and growing. The influence it has on our lives is phenomenal. The last thing I would want to see is a Government Body control it that can't even balance a budget or hold the rights of mankind above their own personal greed for power and wealth.
--
Gladiator Security Forum
»www.gladiator-antivirus.com/

dave
Premium,MVM
not in ohio
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

Having no laws is likely not an option at this point. I think Cerf's position (TLDR, at least from work) is that we'd better all say what we want laws to look like, rather than letting someone else continue to propose very bad laws and then having to shout them down.

Additionally (my own concern) if there are no laws at all, then we'll end up with more of the same: rampant abuse of privacy, negative preference for unapproved traffic, punitive Ts and Cs, etc. I want laws to protect me and my data from corporate abuse.

Snowy
Premium
join:2003-04-05
Kailua, HI
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Clearwire Wireless
said by dave:

I want laws to protect me and my data from corporate abuse.

Yup, that's what it's all about.
The first priority should be meaningful & enforceable accountability of those who have our stuff.

OZO
Premium
join:2003-01-17
kudos:2
reply to dave
said by dave:

I want laws to protect me and my data from corporate abuse.

Do you have money to pay for this?

On the other hand, corporations do and greedy politicians always want that money (and more importantly, in current political environment in the US, are allowed to get it, call it "lobby")... So, I don't think that a new law is the answer here. What I do think is - the new law will always represent interests of those, who pay the money, and not mine...
--
Keep it simple, it'll become complex by itself...

dave
Premium,MVM
not in ohio
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

Then we're totally fucked, aren't we? Since I have to do business with others to get the necessities of life, and since business is increasingly internet-only, then if a law protecting my personal data is not the answer, I'm already a serf.

I think the questions of 'is a law the answer?' and 'is it possible to get such a law?' are different in nature. I see nothing except 'the law' that could protect me from corporate hegemony, though I might agree with your pessimistic view of whether we'll get them.

(I don't take seriously proposals to not use a credit card, not use a bank, pay cash, don't have a phone, etc. This is the 21st century, and I'm not suited for the hunter-gatherer lifestyle. Also, I probably can't get employment without a bank account - though of course if I have no job, I have no money, and consequently have no need of a bank account....)

OZO
Premium
said by dave:

Then we're totally fucked, aren't we?

Yes, we are. That's exactly what happens, when we allow money to rule our country. The latest Supreme Court's decision to make corporations as "people" put the final nail in that ... process. Corporations will buy laws, that will facilitate them to make more money to buy new laws... We, the people, will only be presented in those laws as those who allow the corporations to make the money. It's a vicious circle, that many don't see (thanks to media, driven by big money). The latest "occupy" movement (disclaimer - I'm not direct supporter and/or participant) may appear just due to that subtle filling about that circle. They (current participants) don't express it clearly so far, but, and I have no doubt about it, later on will come to that conclusion... Solution - brake the tight link between big money and politics. And, I think, we all'll benefit, if it will be done in time (see famous JFK cite) and evolutionary...
--

coldmoon
Premium
join:2002-02-04
Broadway, NC
Reviews:
·Windstream
quote:
...Corporations will buy laws, that will facilitate them to make more money to buy new laws......
This is something that has been happening all along with the difference being that it is legal now...
--
Returnil - 21st Century body armor for your PC

vaxvms
ferroequine fan
Premium
join:2005-03-01
Wormtown
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to dave
One of the problems is that many lawmakers are computer illiterate. They are very familiar with corporations and how to use corporations to benefit themselves. Throw the word 'internet' at them and they respond 'isn't that the thing Al Gore invented?'
--
Temporarily out of my mind. Please leave a message.

caffeinator
Coming soon to a cup near you..
Premium
join:2005-01-16
WA, USA
kudos:4
It's simple really: the last thing any government wants is something they can't govern. Oh look, the Internet...scary.

OZO
Premium
reply to coldmoon
said by coldmoon:

quote:
...Corporations will buy laws, that will facilitate them to make more money to buy new laws......
This is something that has been happening all along with the difference being that it is legal now...

Again, due to Supreme Court far-from-wise latest decisions...
--