uniqs

mvv
@telus.net

mvv to kevinds

Anon

to kevinds

Re: [TV] Letter Box VS Full Screen

said by kevinds:

The DCT2000 could output HD with the HDD200 Decoder, which will hook up to the HD outputs on the back of the STB.

The DCT2000 and DCT2500, have no space left in their flash storage for any additions/changes. 2000 for sure, 95% confident the 2500 is the same.
The DCT3080 has no issues recording nor downconverting HD channels to 480i output.
I have no data on the DCT700 for something like this.

As far as what you say here, Ill have to take your word cause I just dont know enough about that stuff.

@mvv - something like Shaw only offering the Gateway system for example? All customers, the same equipment?
The Portals have Composite Output but not RF out, for the few people that do not have composite inputs on their TV's RF modulators are pretty simple...

Yes something like that, Though I dont think it can happen over night. Because that would pee subscribers off. But Im positive in the future, something like this will be the way. Kinda like digital kicked out analog.

Or do you mean dropping all SD channels from the cable system?
Only issue with this is the variety of channels that are not in HD.

Well i guess, as a HD channel comes out drop the SD channel and provide the HD to subscribers. Since at least at this time, not all HD is true HD. Even though this wasn't my original beef, guess its what it kinda comes down to. And just to add back the the original thought, Like its been said in this thread, if some HD content is being stretched anyways, why not stretch the SD since its LQ. Thats why sometimes I think shaw is doing the letterbox on purpose. Why ask people pay extra for HD when its not 100% And thats why I say drop SD.

Unfortunately when I try and explain my self, if feel like im going in circles. lol

kevinds
Premium Member
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

quote:
Yes something like that, Though I dont think it can happen over night. Because that would pee subscribers off. But Im positive in the future, something like this will be the way. Kinda like digital kicked out analog.

The reason this can not happen, is because of constant improving of hardware.

A year or two ago, the best PVR service that Shaw offered was the 2-tuner 500GB model, either Pace or Motorola, except for very minor differences, they were the same.

Now the 6-tuner 500GB gateway and portals is the best TV hardware they offer.

Two years from now when a 16-tuner 10TB gateway system comes out (I don't think this exists now, only using as an extreme example) and everybody was changed to the current gateway system so everybody has the same options, people will not be able upgrade to it, without upgrading everybody.

I know there is well over 1 million digital TV accounts, many with multiple TVs, this is a lot of hardware to replace every couple years for Shaw.

This is why it can't happen, cost, waste, and changing customer's hardware - many people are resistant to change.

Pauly
join:2004-05-29
canada

Pauly to mvv

to mvv
said by mvv :

Well i guess, as a HD channel comes out drop the SD channel and provide the HD to subscribers. Since at least at this time, not all HD is true HD. Even though this wasn't my original beef, guess its what it kinda comes down to. And just to add back the the original thought, Like its been said in this thread, if some HD content is being stretched anyways, why not stretch the SD since its LQ. Thats why sometimes I think shaw is doing the letterbox on purpose. Why ask people pay extra for HD when its not 100% And thats why I say drop SD.

Unfortunately when I try and explain my self, if feel like im going in circles. lol

there are different carriage rules for sd and hd stations, so just substituting them is not going to provide proper compliancy.