spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

caster 665

@dsl.net

be more for like canada where you can buy the box & Pick and

be more for like canada where you can buy the box & they have Pick and play.

mogamer

join:2011-04-20
Royal Oak, MI

1 recommendation

said by caster 665 :

be more for like canada where you can buy the box & they have Pick and play.

If by "Pick and Play" you mean bring your equipment to any provider, you already have that in this country. HTPC and Tivo work just fine in that regard. The trouble is that very few people in this country are willing to pay the true upfront cost for equipment. Thus the dvr and dvd recorder markets have very slim pickings.

davoice

join:2000-08-12
Saxapahaw, NC

Apparently you've never tried to get a TiVo or a HTPC to work right on Time Warner Cable or any other cableco who mindlessly implemented SDV. Those usb tethered SDV dongles... they're a joke. I had a retail Moxi w/ cable card on Time Warner Cable before Arris bought Moxi and I can promise you Moxi spent well over 40 hours working with the local TWC office trying to get all the quirks worked out with TWC's screwy SDV implementation. TiVo doesn't fair much better.

skuv

@rr.com

Mindlessly implemented SDV? I imagine they implemented SDV with being able to have more HD channels in mind.

My TiVo Elite has been working just fine with SDV and the Cisco tuning adapter.

davoice

join:2000-08-12
Saxapahaw, NC

Then you must be in one of the few markets that knows that they're doing! Good for you! Just google "tivo SDV trouble".

H Sapiens

@sbcglobal.net
reply to skuv

said by skuv :

Mindlessly implemented SDV? I imagine they implemented SDV with being able to have more HD channels in mind.

They implemented SDV to force more cable box rentals and break what used to be called "Cable-ready TVs".

Cable should not have been allowed to walk away from that standard, but since we've got the best regulators CableLabs can buy we're back in the early 1980's when it comes to consumer protections and consumer choice.

BiggA

join:2005-11-23
EARTH

Nope. They did it to gain capacity. They don't care if you use TiVo, you still have to pay them every month, and so few people do that it doesn't hurt their box rental cash cow. Also, TiVo and MCE users probably subscribe to more stuff on average anyways.