Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

oh LOOK

@videotron.ca

Rogers uses Fed Regulations to Screw People

Rogers defends move to install antenna in Kirkland backyard
»westislandgazette.com/news/29626

Rogers Communications said it did everything by the book based on Industry Canada regulations in regards to recently installing a tower in a Kirkland backyard.

Dozens of people living near 75 Acres St., a residential strip of single-family homes with valuations in the $400,000 range, were horrified when a tower that stands about 15 metres was erected in the backyard in one day without prior notice two weeks ago. They fired off a petition to city hall demanding it be torn down.

City officials, who said they didn't approve a work permit for the tower, are promising to look into the matter on behalf of disgruntled neighbours and to set up a meeting.

Rogers officials, however, said the company had the approval of Industry Canada, the federal authority that regulates radio-communication and broadcasting installations.

For towers under 15 metres, Industry Canada does require communication companies to follow a public consultation process, according to Rogers representative Stephanie Jarrold.

"This tower is just under 15 metres," she said. "The tower also adheres to Safety Code 6 calculations (set by Health Canada).

"Yes, it's in a residential area and yes, Industry Canada accepted it," she added.

Since it falls under federal jurisdiction, Rogers did not need to seek a zoning change nor a work permit from the city in order to install the tower, Jarrold said, adding all its paperwork went through the Industry Canada process for approval.
Continues...

In other words, Rogers purposely made sure the height was just under 15-meters in order to by-pass and avoid the public and the municipal zoning laws which would have also made it public.

What a great company.

InvalidError

join:2008-02-03
kudos:5

Getting under IC's radar isn't the only reason they build 15m towers these days.

Since cell towers are much smaller than before, they no longer need to be anywhere near as high as they used to back in the days where cells were often more than 10km across. Shorter towers are also cheaper, lighter, quicker, safer to build, sturdier, easier and cheaper to maintain, etc. There are tons of advantages to sticking to the lowest practical height.

zod5000

join:2003-10-21
Victoria, BC
reply to oh LOOK

The property is owned by someone?

Sure they can put up a sub-15 metre pole. Can they really put it up on someone else property?

Couldn't the home owner tear it down? If its on his property I don't see the issue?

InvalidError

Towers are most likely built on "easements" just like utility poles - a part of "your property" that the city/government retains all rights to. If you build anything on easements that gets into utilities' way, utilities are authorized to remove it without compensation to you.

mlerner
Premium
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON

What InvalidError said. Not that I agree with it but on the title of my property Bell has an easement in place and can choose to use it however they want as far as I know.

jfmezei
Premium
join:2007-01-03
Pointe-Claire, QC
kudos:23

I know that the mobile companies do not even need to tell the city when they install a DAS antenna on a telephone pole or existing building. They need to talk to the city to install such an antenna on a light post. But this a business transaction, not one requiring approval.

I know that installing an antenna greater than 15m requires industry canada approval.

What is not clear is whether installing a 15m antenna requires a city building permit at the very least.

ummmnoos

@cgocable.net
reply to oh LOOK

Rogers will pay rent or provide free services to people who allow towers to be built on there property. YAY for rogers for tricking the NIMBY people.

InvalidError

said by ummmnoos :

Rogers will pay rent or provide free services to people who allow towers to be built on there property. YAY for rogers for tricking the NIMBY people.

If people want service, the infrastructure required to provide those services has to go somewhere. If NIMBY was allowed to get in the way of everything, nearly nothing would ever get done anywhere.

Chuck sTruck

@teksavvy.com
reply to oh LOOK

If it was me i'd just push it over. How would Rogers ever know? You just wait for a very windy day and push it over. After they fix it you wait for another very windy day and push it over again. Pretty soon it will just stay pushed over.

jfmezei
Premium
join:2007-01-03
Pointe-Claire, QC
kudos:23
reply to InvalidError

Coat the wiring with peanut butter and let the squirrels do their job

InvalidError

reply to Chuck sTruck

said by Chuck sTruck :

If it was me i'd just push it over. How would Rogers ever know? You just wait for a very windy day and push it over. After they fix it you wait for another very windy day and push it over again. Pretty soon it will just stay pushed over.

Towers are built to survive the worst weather known to occur anywhere near the area for the public's safety. If towers are going down but not trees, utility poles, rooftops, etc., then they will automatically suspect vandalism and investigation can usually tell pretty easily.

nitzguy
Premium
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON
reply to ummmnoos

said by ummmnoos :

In the article it says its in a private yard...that person = SMART...Rogers pays them X a month for lease of that land and poof, extra income...and what'd he/she have to do? Nothing...just let a small parcel of land they probably didn't use anyways, get used...and get better cell service as a result.

Smart to the property owner, if someone came to me and said, hey we want to build a tower and will pay you X per month in virtual perpetutity.....where do I freakin sign? It'd be a no brainer...

QWE11

@teksavvy.com
reply to jfmezei

said by jfmezei:

What is not clear is whether installing a 15m antenna requires a city building permit at the very least.

Municipalities derive their powers from their respective provincial governments. Federal (telecom/broadcasting) jurisdiction trumps them both (no building permit or permission from the municipality is required). Regardless of height they follow Industry Canada rules. It is only when it is over 15m do they have to do the "public consultation" process.

no brainer

@videotron.ca
reply to nitzguy

said by nitzguy:

....where do I freakin sign? It'd be a no brainer...

You must be young.

Try and sell that house after.
You won't get what the market was asking for it before the tower. Nor will the neighbours.

Toastertech
Premium
join:2003-01-05
Trenton, ON
reply to oh LOOK

I only have one small question, I notice that the original post/article finds it important to mention the value of the houses in the area. Does this mean it would be more acceptable in a lower value area?

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
kudos:4

Absolutely.

ummmnoos

@cgocable.net
reply to oh LOOK

For Sale: House with perfect cell signal plus you never need to pay for service and they will also pay you.

I'd buy that house. In my mind it adds value.

In this day and age cell service is a must.

milnoc

join:2001-03-05
H3B
kudos:2

But the neighbours don't get the same benefits, and the value of their homes will go down because of the eyesore.
--
Watch my future television channel's public test broadcast!
»thecanadianpublic.com/live

MaynardKrebs
Premium

said by milnoc:

But the neighbours don't get the same benefits, and the value of their homes will go down because of the eyesore.

How does the expression go...... let them mange gateaux, or something like that?

milnoc

join:2001-03-05
H3B
kudos:2

Do you remember what happened to the lady who said that?

MaynardKrebs
Premium

said by milnoc:

Do you remember what happened to the lady who said that?

Manicure?

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON
reply to jfmezei

said by jfmezei:

Coat the wiring with peanut butter and let the squirrels do their job

*** C l e v e r ! ***

telco_mtl

join:2012-01-06
reply to milnoc

said by milnoc:

the same tempest is going on right now in chateauguay, public put up about 3-4 of this style antenna around the town. One thing people dont seem to realize is the antennas on church steeples. in the 5 neighboring towns around my place i can count at least 6 churches with cell antennas on the steeples (some of these churches are right next to houses (ste-margeurite youville in chateauguay)) and one of them has an FM radio antenna on it too!

hm

@videotron.ca

In chateauguay, this started a couple of years ago. I recall posting it in this forum. But in chateauguay, these were full size towers if I recall right going up in peoples yards.

I do, however, recall the latest round over there being about the ones in church steeples...

telco_mtl

said by hm :

In chateauguay, this started a couple of years ago. I recall posting it in this forum. But in chateauguay, these were full size towers if I recall right going up in peoples yards.

I do, however, recall the latest round over there being about the ones in church steeples...

in chateauguay the thing a few years back was the 3 towers that appeared around the corner of maple and danjou. the latest one is because public put one at the chato centre motel and le carrefour in october and tried to put one on the legion.

the church steeple thing has seemed to pass under the radar, they have been up for years and some are well disguised.

battleop

join:2005-09-28
reply to oh LOOK

"horrified"

Oh give me a break. Unless the tower fell over and crushed babies there is nothing that could make you "horrified".
--
I do not, have not, and will not work for AT&T/Comcast/Verizon/Charter or similar sized company.

battleop

reply to zod5000

The article says that they had contacted several home owners offering to pay $200/mo for the space. I guess one of the neighbors decided to extend the middle finger to everyone else.
--
I do not, have not, and will not work for AT&T/Comcast/Verizon/Charter or similar sized company.

battleop

reply to no brainer

Depends on the income from the tower and property. There are some people with towers on their land that are making $5000+/mo.
--

telco_mtl

said by battleop:

Depends on the income from the tower and property. There are some people with towers on their land that are making $5000+/mo.

these tower deals are very lucrative, especially if they are using YOUR structure to support the antenna array

battleop

Nope. I have a friend who's dad and two brothers were offered $4500/mo for something like 20 years by Nextel. Nextel did everything including installing a 3 carrier tower. If they add more carriers they get a cut of that as well. They separated the land the tower was on from everything else to that the had the option to keep the cell site if they decided to sell the business and the building. When they all retired they did just that. The sold the restaurant and the building and kept the cell site's income.
--