share rss forum feed

fifty nine

join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ
kudos:2
reply to Tomek

Re: IMEI change

said by Tomek:

Worst is verizon with stolen phones, they simply re-activate them -_- for anybody who requests it.

Verizon actually blacklists ESNs. AT&T doesn't care.

inteller
Sociopaths always win.

join:2003-12-08
Tulsa, OK
bull shi they only blacklist ESNs that are attached to an account with money owed.
--
"WHEN THE LAUGH TRACK STARTS THEN THE FUN STARTS!"

Simba7
I Void Warranties

join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT
reply to fifty nine
Reason for that is different technologies.

You can't exactly change a SIM card in a CDMA phone, because they don't utilize it. As for an at&t phone (GSM), just swap the SIM card.

This worked for me when he switched to VZ and gave me his old Captivate and Aria. Since then, I threw in a StraightTalk SIM card in both of them and they're quite useful.. after I threw on CM9.

Tomek
Premium
join:2002-01-30
Valley Stream, NY
reply to fifty nine
said by fifty nine:

said by Tomek:

Worst is verizon with stolen phones, they simply re-activate them -_- for anybody who requests it.

I never had problems activating stolen phones on verizon network
--
Semper Fi

Chubbysumo

join:2009-12-01
Superior, WI
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to inteller
said by inteller:

bull shi they only blacklist ESNs that are attached to an account with money owed.

no, they blacklist ESNs of stolen devices too.

Chubbysumo

Superior, WI
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to Simba7
said by Simba7:

You can't exactly change a SIM card in a CDMA phone, because they don't utilize it. As for an at&t phone (GSM), just swap the SIM card.

This worked for me when he switched to VZ and gave me his old Captivate and Aria. Since then, I threw in a StraightTalk SIM card in both of them and they're quite useful.. after I threw on CM9.

SIM card based phones go off of 2 things, the IMEI(the individual number assigned to the phone), and the SIM card ID. The SIM info only links the IMEI to a subscriber, but the phone does not work without an IMEI. AT&T has the power to blacklist IMEI numbers, but they have chosen not to.

Chubbysumo

Superior, WI
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to Tomek
said by Tomek:

are you sure they are listed as stolen? See my above comment, they do NOT activate phones that are listed as stolen in their system, unless of course, you are the original purchaser, and you are the one that listed it as "stolen".

Tomek
Premium
join:2002-01-30
Valley Stream, NY
said by Chubbysumo:

said by Tomek:

are you sure they are listed as stolen? See my above comment, they do NOT activate phones that are listed as stolen in their system, unless of course, you are the original purchaser, and you are the one that listed it as "stolen".

Maybe it all changed recently, but I my brother had his phone stolen and we found kid that activated it and used it. I then also tried activating phone that was initially lost by my friend (he got a replacement and recovered it few weeks later) and were also able to simply activated it, but that was like 3 years ago
--
Semper Fi

iFail 5G

join:2011-08-03
reply to Tomek
said by Tomek:

said by fifty nine:

said by Tomek:

Apparently the people you steal them from haven't reported them stolen yet...

iFail 5G

join:2011-08-03
reply to Simba7
said by Simba7:

Newer Verizon LTE phone's have SIM card's and they do still blacklist the handsets.

Chubbysumo

Superior, WI
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to Tomek
said by Tomek:

Maybe it all changed recently, but I my brother had his phone stolen and we found kid that activated it and used it. I then also tried activating phone that was initially lost by my friend (he got a replacement and recovered it few weeks later) and were also able to simply activated it, but that was like 3 years ago

again, lost does not mean stolen. The phone has to be reported as stolen, not lost, or verizon will not care. Even if he gets a replacement thru the insurance program, unless he specifies that it was stolen, it does not get blocked. Also, with "your brother", i am betting he didnt report the phone as stolen to verizon, only lost.