spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Jeeta

@cgocable.net

Rep didn't know the difference between Mbits and Mbytes

So I called Start last night to get some information regarding their unlimited service because I am done with Cogeco, their prices and bandwidth cap are insane.

So the folk on the phone with me were all very nice, but when I inquired as to what kinds of speeds I could expect, since a bit and a byte are completely different denominations, the rep literally went quite for about 10 seconds and then proceeded to tell me that I should expect 4 MEGS per second. I further inquired as to the type of meg, bit or byte, but she only stressed that I would get 4 MEGS per second.

Note that this was supposed to be the Tech representative.

Anyhow, after it became apparent that she couldn't answer that question, I thanked her for her time (she was still very polite through all of this) and ended the call.

So, I come here with a couple of inquiries, hoping I can get a better answer than that which was given.

1. For the Unlimited package, what speed can I expect? Actual speed, in bytes.

2. Will your higher tier packages ever receive an Unlimited version?

3. Do you truly service my area? L6H 0E1 (I have spoken to too many ISP's in the last few days and received too many En-Oh's.)

4. Why is it that Start is the only provided through Cogeco currently?

5. (This may not be the appropriate place to ask) Does any other provided offer higher tier Unlimited packages. I would love to go through Start, simply because you guys seem to be the first to run through Cogeco, but speed really is a concern to me. We have 4 individuals running over 10 devices (PC, Mac, iPad, iPhone, etc).

Thank you very very kindly for any help you guys can give me.

bt

join:2009-02-26
canada
kudos:1
Advertised speeds are always in bits per second, and Start is no different. It would be 4 Megabits per second, which is roughly 0.5 Megabytes per second. For future reference, lower case b is bits, uppercase B is bytes. Remember that all speeds are "up to", but if you get the full advertised speed from Cogeco you should get it from Start as well.

Rocca mentioned the possibility of higher tiers receiving an unlimited option in the future, but it's not guaranteed to happen. It will depend on usage patterns.

If you can get Cogeco, you should be able to get Start.

Start is the first company to connect to Cogeco. I'm sure there will be others eventually, but it's hard to say when or what their packages will look like.

Jeeta

@cgocable.net
@bt

Thanks! I really appreciate your response. Personally I knew the difference between bits and bytes, but a lot of companies like to advertise one speed and provide another... I was more surprised that the tech rep had no clue what the difference was.

Thanks again!

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
join:2008-11-16
London, ON
kudos:23
reply to Jeeta
Hi and thanks for your questions.

1. As bt mentioned, 'bytes' are very rarely used when talking about speeds or capacity, ie bytes are generally used for small volumes. However as the service in your area would be 4Mbps for our Basic Unlimited package that would be roughly converted 500,000 bytes per second, or in your browser download indicator, about 500KB/s.

2. Short answer is maybe. Slightly less short version is that it depends on what happens with the rate setting process currently in review by the CRTC.

3. Indeed we do.

4. A lot of hard work.

5. Some do, but probably not in your area.

As for stumping one of our techs, sorry - probably threw them a bit sideways as that's the first time I've ever had anyone ask us if we deliver in bytes before and I've been doing this a long time.

said by Jeeta :

Thanks! I really appreciate your response. Personally I knew the difference between bits and bytes, but a lot of companies like to advertise one speed and provide another...

Personally I think it'd be pretty strange to advertise one and deliver the other. Ie if you advertised in Mbps (which everyone does) and delivered that 'number' but in MB/s instead then you'd be over delivering by a factor of 8. Conversely if you advertised in MB/s then you'd look like you were a fraction of the speed of what the industry standard is.

Hope that gives you a better answer to your question.

Have a great night.

Jeeta

@cgocable.net
@Rocca

Thanks for the reply! I appreciate your time.

What I meant was that some ISP's will state that their connection is (for example) 24Mbps, while in reality you will only get speeds of 18Mbps. I have been in this situation before, which is why I asked.

Basically what I was really asking was if the advertised speed was reflective of the actual speed, which you have answered already.

One last question.

- Is there a package that offers more than 300gb? I would love a 500gb (or more) package (at your highest speed).

I really appreciate your response Rocca.

Best

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON
said by Jeeta :

- Is there a package that offers more than 300gb? I would love a 500gb (or more) package (at your highest speed).

At this time, no unfortunately not. We have to see how things go with new usage patterns before looking at opening up newer speeds and higher usage plans. Check in a couple months though, things could change.

said by Jeeta :

I really appreciate your response Rocca.

My pleasure, thanks for checking us out.

Jeeta

@cgocable.net
@rocca

Another question, I have been perusing these forums and have heard a lot of users discussing modems, specifically the D2 vs the D3 (?). I am curious, if I decide to set myself up with your Advanced plan, which modem will I need, and will I have to specify that need to the set up technician?

Would it also be worth purchasing one myself? Or do you rent them out?

I am slightly confused as to the need for various modems. Note that if you ever offer higher speed packages in the future, there is a really good chance (95%) that I would upgrade immediately.

Very best.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON
For renting the provisioning team will always select the correct modem for you. But for buying today, you can purchase either a D2 SB5101N or a D3 DPC3000 - both work - the SB5101N's are good for up to about 30Mbps the DPC3000's I believe are up to 160Mbps. Chances are your router will cap your performance before the modem.

Jeeta

@cgocable.net
@rocca

Thanks! Is it worth purchasing them, honestly, or is it just easier, on the consumer level, to rent it?

What I mean is, with a purchase, what kind of set up would I be looking at? Any more or less complex than setting up your standard router?

Furthermore, if I purchased the modem myself, would a technician have to come out to the house for any kind of set up or installation? I am thinking not, only because I already have all the cabling and such within my house.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON
Hi Jeeta,

There are no differences in the install or service based on if you rent or buy a modem, strictly a costing thing for consumers to choose the model that fits them best - ie larger upfront investment but no ongoing rental fees, or smaller rental fees but ongoing.

Jeeta

@cgocable.net
@rocca

Hey! Thank you so much for all of your help! I just wanted to sy that I have went ahead and purchased your services.

One caveat, the rep that I was speaking with accidentally charged me for a D2 modem, which was not what I had wanted, I was under the assumption that he was charging for the D3. He advised, after the fact, that you guys don't carry the D3 modem... ?

So he put the reversal request through for my account, but I was hoping that you could make sure that happens? (not sure what kind of info you'd need from me).

Note that I am not upset at the rep at all, he was very courteous and kind, it was just a miscommunication on both our parts.

I appreciate your help and look forward to your service!

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON
Sure if you PM me your name and/or address I can take a look at the status. Thanks,

Jeeta

join:2012-04-14
Sent the message. Truly appreciate your help sir.

By the way, what is your cancellation procedure, if any? (Not to say I am cancelling, but it never hurts to know these things).

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON
My pleasure.

Cancellation is 5 business days.

Have a great weekend.