spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Mr E

@rogers.com

[Ultra/Lite] To cancel or not - that is the ?

Advice please...

Called Rogers today with every intention of cancelling my internet service but they have countered with what seems to be a decent offer:

Extreme Plus on a two year commitment for $28.60 (including modem rental) + HST per month (grand total of $32.32).

Some background on probably why they offered this deal: been with them since 2001 and in that time I have never contacted them for any issue; just took whatever they threw at me with a grain of salt. Am currently on a grandfathered Lite tier with 25GB per month bandwith which has been increasingly hard to maintain.

Now the skeptic in me says this is too good to be true, there must be a catch after all this is Rogers we are dealing with. The two major pitfalls that I can see are the two year commitment and that dreaded wireless n gateway and of course being with Rogers.

Is there anything else I am missing in the way of drawbacks? Help.

Hooter

join:2009-08-17
Scarborough, ON
You summed it up pretty well, but I think that was three major pitfalls, not two. LOL!

JAC70

join:2008-10-20
canada
reply to Mr E
Looks like close to the discount I have, 70% off internet, nothing off cable, 2-yr commitment. Keep in mind you're not guaranteed that price, you're guaranteed that percentage discount, so your rate will increase. You'll also have to pay a hefty cancellation fee if you cancel.

bt

join:2009-02-26
canada
kudos:1
reply to Mr E
Going from Lite to Extreme Plus, you could see your usage jump drastically. It might not be enough to go over the cap, but be aware of that potential.

That's 60% off - if you don't think you'll use the speed of Extreme Plus, you could try to talk them into applying it to Extreme or Express instead.

Make sure the discount is for the full 2 years, and it's not "deep discount for year 1, full price for year 2".

yyzlhr

@rogers.com
reply to Mr E
Rogers always has great retention deals. Nothing out of the ordinary here. Question is, do you need the service for the next two years?

Stewy
Premium
join:2007-12-12
Kitchener, ON
reply to Mr E
said by Mr E :

Advice please...

You're the one with the money, why don't you make them an offer. I'd wouldn't go with the commitment.

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
reply to Mr E
If you're not planing on moving, go for it. Only issue is their damned modem. No catch other than the pitfalls.

Make sure you get it in writing (email). Ask for CSR #.
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

Paolo
Mr. Wireless

join:2004-05-29
canada
jus make sure u dont bitch and moan that they locked u into a contract when ur not getting the speeds as advertized
--
Happiness is like peeing your pants... Everyone can see it, but only you can feel its Warmth!!

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
said by Paolo:

jus make sure u dont bitch and moan that they locked u into a contract when ur not getting the speeds as advertized

It's a trap!
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

plebel
Premium
join:2011-01-27
Ottawa, ON
reply to Mr E
My advice is to drop Rogers and sign up with an independent ISP that offers 3rd party internet access over Rogers cable in your area, such as Teksavvy or Distributel. Their monthly prices for the equivalent to Rogers' Lite plan is within a few dollars of the special deal that Rogers is offering you, and the monthly usage allowance is so much higher that you won't risk getting penalized with overage charges at the end of the billing period. Plus, there are no contracts to lock you in for a year or two so you can change providers if you're not happy, and you won't be stuck with the Rogers wireless gateway. There are other benefits as well... The independent ISPs don't engage in questionable practices such as DNS hijacking, DPI, throttling, and HTML injection like Rogers does, they just provide a connection to the internet, plain and simple.

Mr E

@rogers.com
reply to Mr E
Thanks all for your input...still have not decided. The speed is not so much the issue as the amount of bandwith allowed without incurring overage costs. Family wants to sign up with Netflix, daughter has an iPhone and a Playstation 3, son has a Wii, everybody likes to view various things on Youtube and of course the dreaded program updates for the various devices and computers. Don't know if the 150 GB per month will cut it; I should say, don't know if it will be enough within the two year time frame.

Anybody know how Rogers is with their billing practices? Are they accurate or do you need to call them every month because they are unable to get it right? That is another consideration as I do not want this type of monthly carry-on.

plebel
Premium
join:2011-01-27
Ottawa, ON
Like I said, the monthly usage allowance (number of gigabytes per month allowed) is much higher with independent ISPs. Both Distributel and Teksavvy offer plans with unlimited usage, so if you're worried about going over 150GB per month, it should be an easy decision. And again, there are no contracts with the others, so you can switch plans or providers without incurring penalties. Switching to another ISP can be a pain, but in the end it's worthwhile.

biznatch11

join:2004-11-21
London, ON
reply to Mr E
Are you sure the discount lasts the entire 2 years? I'd confirm that, and get it in writing. You don't want to find out a year from now when you get a bill that it went up after the first year and now you're stuck for a year at full price.

Before signing a contract for a cell phone, internet, or whatever, I always try to figure out the "real" cost of cancelling early: If you cancelled Rogers and got internet elsewhere what would your monthly price be? More than $32.32/month probably? So how much are you saving each month by staying with Rogers? What's the cancellation fee if you decide to cancel Rogers before the 2 years is up? How long until your savings equal the cancellation fee? Eg. if the cancellation fee is $200, and you save $20 each month, then after 10 months if you decide to cancel and have to pay $200 it's not a big deal, you'll just be breaking even. So while technically it's a 2 year contract, you may be able to end it early without really having to pay a penalty.