DevOps
Premium Member
join:2005-03-19
Mullica Hill, NJ

ArrayList to chances14

Premium Member

to chances14

Re: Cut the cord...

Internet has the capability of interacting with other people. TV does not. Unless you spend all of your time online on one site, you cannot compare the two.
chances14
join:2010-03-03
Michigan

chances14

Yes you can. Go look at the first post in this thread in which I originally responded too. You can't tell me that the same principles in that post don't apply to the Internet as well

dslfan90
@sbcglobal.net

dslfan90 to ArrayList

Anon

to ArrayList
said by ArrayList:

Internet has the capability of interacting with other people. TV does not.

Absolutely not true.

ArrayList
DevOps
Premium Member
Mullica Hill, NJ

ArrayList

Premium Member

said by dslfan90 :

said by ArrayList:

Internet has the capability of interacting with other people. TV does not.

Absolutely not true.

so, you are saying that it is not the case that Internet has the capabiltiy of interacting with other people?

I'm doing it right now, unless you are a robot.

I have never seen a case, where I could interact with other people through my Television.
ArrayList

ArrayList to chances14

Premium Member

to chances14
Some people have access to the internet everywhere. I've used it when I went camping before to help me find information on how to treat a rash.

I see your point and it is a bit of a stretch to be honest.

dslfan90
@sbcglobal.net

dslfan90 to ArrayList

Anon

to ArrayList
If you never watch TV and have made that choice, that is fine for you. Others make different choices. It doesn't make you right and someone else wrong. It also does not make you better than anyone else.

ArrayList
DevOps
Premium Member
Mullica Hill, NJ

ArrayList

Premium Member

Of course it doesn't. But I'm not stuck with a big ugly tv bill every month for programming that I cannot watch because I'm too busy out being awesome.

Keep in mind that in 2020 the average cable tv customer will be dumping about $25k into cable tv every decade. Sounds like a great investment /s
chances14
join:2010-03-03
Michigan

chances14 to ArrayList

to ArrayList
said by ArrayList:

I see your point and it is a bit of a stretch

Not really. Internet addiction is real and prevalent in today's society ,which can lead to the points that was made in the original post in this thread in some cases, just like with tv. Seems like everyone just has to have a smartphone these days

dslfan90
@sbcglobal.net

dslfan90

Anon

I have a niece who sends about 3,000 text messages a month and spends about 1,500 minutes a month talking on her cell phone. She also spend many, many hours surfing on her desktop on the internet. Are these activities healthier, more fulfilling and better than watching TV?

ArrayList
DevOps
Premium Member
Mullica Hill, NJ

ArrayList to chances14

Premium Member

to chances14
said by chances14:

said by ArrayList:

I see your point and it is a bit of a stretch

Internet addiction is real and prevalent in today's society

sources??? I'll buy that it is real, but prevalent I don't think so.
ArrayList

ArrayList to dslfan90

Premium Member

to dslfan90
said by dslfan90 :

I have a niece who sends about 3,000 text messages a month and spends about 1,500 minutes a month talking on her cell phone. She also spend many, many hours surfing on her desktop on the internet. Are these activities healthier, more fulfilling and better than watching TV?

at least she is talking with her peers. If she was in front of a TV she wouldn't be talking to anyone.

I guess next you are going to say that it isn't health to communicate with other human beings?

dslfan90
@sbcglobal.net

dslfan90

Anon

You are ridiculous. It's not possible to have a meaningful discussion with you. Apparently, doing more fulfilling things than watching TV is not paying off for you.

ArrayList
DevOps
Premium Member
Mullica Hill, NJ

ArrayList

Premium Member

Oh oh I have another plus for the Internet. There are trolls. Does your fancy TV have trolls?
ArrayList

ArrayList to dslfan90

Premium Member

to dslfan90
And I don't know why you gave up? I asked questions and I would like an answer.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to ArrayList

Premium Member

to ArrayList
said by ArrayList:

said by dslfan90 :

at least she is talking with her peers. If she was in front of a TV she wouldn't be talking to anyone.

I guess next you are going to say that it isn't health to communicate with other human beings?

I guess you never heard of a SMART TV? Or a Rasberry pi attached to your TV.

ArrayList
DevOps
Premium Member
Mullica Hill, NJ

ArrayList

Premium Member

said by Mele20:

I guess you never heard of a SMART TV? Or a Rasberry pi attached to your TV.

Is that a line item on your cable bill? If not, I wasn't considering it as a part of TV Service.

milnoc
join:2001-03-05
Ottawa

1 recommendation

milnoc to ArrayList

to ArrayList
said by ArrayList:

Oh oh I have another plus for the Internet. There are trolls. Does your fancy TV have trolls?

Does Fox News count?

Cjones
@rogers.com

Cjones to dslfan90

Anon

to dslfan90
said by dslfan90 :

As to the text messages and conversation, yes. How much "healthier, more fulfilling and better" they are depends on the content, but if you ask me which is behaving in a better way, a person sitting in front of a screen consuming content or one talking to people, even about trivialities, I'd say the talker is very probably, if not certainly, in a better state. As for the desktop, it depends how much time is spent consuming and how much producing. That time which is spent consuming is of the same quality as time in front of a TV, how good depends on what is being consumed. That time spent producing is better than the time in front of the TV.

dslfan90
@sbcglobal.net

dslfan90

Anon

said by Cjones :

As to the text messages and conversation, yes. How much "healthier, more fulfilling and better" they are depends on the content, but if you ask me which is behaving in a better way, a person sitting in front of a screen consuming content or one talking to people, even about trivialities, I'd say the talker is very probably, if not certainly, in a better state. As for the desktop, it depends how much time is spent consuming and how much producing. That time which is spent consuming is of the same quality as time in front of a TV, how good depends on what is being consumed. That time spent producing is better than the time in front of the TV.

More opinions! Please provider the authoritative sources to support your statements. I now know that those are required in order to offer an opinion.

Cjones
@rogers.com

Cjones

Anon

Authoritative sources... Interesting. Before, you asked for studies. I'd be glad to provide them if you can provide studies proving the following

adding two things to two other things always equals four things.
It is better to teach children to read than to make them work fourteen hours a day in sweatshops.
It is worse to pour your toxic waste into rivers than not to produce toxic waste at all.
The game of baseball has three bases and a home plate.

Are these things supported by studies? If so, where are the studies? If they're not supported by studies, are they not true? There are other ways of determining whether a thing is true, that is, other ways of supporting a view or argument. Relying on studies and sources is not the only one, or even the best.

dslfan90
@sbcglobal.net

dslfan90

Anon

In other words, you cannot provide sources. That's what I thought.

Cjones
@rogers.com

Cjones

Anon

In other words, I provide reasons, not sources. If you will not listen to reason, then all the sources on the planet will do nothing for you, they depend on reason, too. If and when you'd like to argue with reasons, rather than from authority which is useless in this context, it would be good to hear from you.

dslfan90
@sbcglobal.net

dslfan90

Anon

When you have something to offer other than your personal slanted opinions, it would be good to hear from you.