uniqs
share rss forum feed

zod5000

join:2003-10-21
Victoria, BC
reply to oh LOOK

Re: Rogers uses Fed Regulations to Screw People

The property is owned by someone?

Sure they can put up a sub-15 metre pole. Can they really put it up on someone else property?

Couldn't the home owner tear it down? If its on his property I don't see the issue?

InvalidError

join:2008-02-03
kudos:5
Towers are most likely built on "easements" just like utility poles - a part of "your property" that the city/government retains all rights to. If you build anything on easements that gets into utilities' way, utilities are authorized to remove it without compensation to you.

mlerner
Premium
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON
kudos:5
What InvalidError said. Not that I agree with it but on the title of my property Bell has an easement in place and can choose to use it however they want as far as I know.

jfmezei
Premium
join:2007-01-03
Pointe-Claire, QC
kudos:23
I know that the mobile companies do not even need to tell the city when they install a DAS antenna on a telephone pole or existing building. They need to talk to the city to install such an antenna on a light post. But this a business transaction, not one requiring approval.

I know that installing an antenna greater than 15m requires industry canada approval.

What is not clear is whether installing a 15m antenna requires a city building permit at the very least.

QWE11

@teksavvy.com
said by jfmezei:

What is not clear is whether installing a 15m antenna requires a city building permit at the very least.

Municipalities derive their powers from their respective provincial governments. Federal (telecom/broadcasting) jurisdiction trumps them both (no building permit or permission from the municipality is required). Regardless of height they follow Industry Canada rules. It is only when it is over 15m do they have to do the "public consultation" process.

battleop

join:2005-09-28
reply to zod5000
The article says that they had contacted several home owners offering to pay $200/mo for the space. I guess one of the neighbors decided to extend the middle finger to everyone else.
--
I do not, have not, and will not work for AT&T/Comcast/Verizon/Charter or similar sized company.