uniqs
share rss forum feed

Premium
join:2010-04-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL
kudos:3

2 edits

Code, I Don't Need No Stinking Code...

This is one of those things I see all too frequently, where you can only put your palm to your forehead and wonder what in the heck was the person who did this work was thinking when they did it.

For what it is worth, this work was done by an employee of a licensed so called “reputable” electrical contractor, who was doing maintenance for a nationwide restaurant chain and the work was subsequently red-tagged by the AHJ, that is after police and fire rescue responded to a child down having been shocked by touching the box or its cover.

The cover on the box measured 152 volts AC utilizing a screwdriver shoved into the earth as the meter ground…

The good news is by the time fire rescue arrived, the little boy who touched the box and got knocked on his butt by doing so, was up and conscious.

Wayne
--
"It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." - Charles A. Beard

ilikeme
I live in a van down by the river.
Premium
join:2002-08-27
Sugar Land, TX
kudos:1

At least the kid is ok. What is that for? Parking lot lights?

Premium
Fort Lauderdale, FL

said by ilikeme:

At least the kid is ok. What is that for? Parking lot lights?

I don't know, it was on the perimeter of the parking lot though.

Wayne

Ken
Premium,MVM
join:2003-06-16
Markle, IN
reply to 49528867

It would probably be quicker to just list what is right with that installation versus what is wrong. Unfortunately I can't find anything that is right...

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC

said by Ken:

It would probably be quicker to just list what is right with that installation versus what is wrong. Unfortunately I can't find anything that is right...

Oh I know!
It's the correct color.

fluffy

@teksavvy.com
reply to 49528867

looks ok to me.
it has a built in 'dont mess with me' anti vandal safety feature which electrocutes anyone who touches it and the construction looks pretty solid with all that concrete.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
reply to 49528867

Wonder why the AHJ Inspector passed it? You have to expect that a national chain had permits and had required inspections.

TheMG
Premium
join:2007-09-04
Canada
kudos:2
Reviews:
·NorthWest Tel

said by Jack_in_VA:

You have to expect that a national chain had permits and had required inspections.

Large restaurant chains often do franchising.

Franchise owners (franchisees), can be really cheap sometimes. The less money they spend on maintenance, the more money they can pocket.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if no permits were pulled and no inspection performed. They probably hired the lowest bid to do the job.

nunya
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
kudos:12
reply to 49528867

Major case of somebody just saying "phukit". What's worse is it would have been pretty damn simple to do it right.
--
...because I care.

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp
kudos:5
reply to TheMG

said by TheMG:

Wouldn't surprise me at all if no permits were pulled and no inspection performed.

Permits are not required for small repairs like this.

telco_mtl

join:2012-01-06
reply to 49528867

i find the highway department up here leaves a lot of these boners around, a breakaway lamp post is down? what to do, cover the base with a traffic cone, thats safe i guess... especially since we have all 347v lighting on the roads. Or the other good one, broken drive through indicator at a fast food restaurant, bunch of marettes, lots of electric tape and leave the wires hanging.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
reply to 49528867

152V to earth?

Premium
Fort Lauderdale, FL
reply to nunya

said by nunya:

What's worse is it would have been pretty damn simple to do it right.

That’s the pathetic part, for the amount of time and effort put into building that rig the guy who did that job could have done it properly and be done with it.

But no, corners where cut to “get-er-done” and move on.

Hopefully someone gets their license suspended over this if for nothing else other than failure to supervise.

Wayne
--
"It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." - Charles A. Beard

Premium
Fort Lauderdale, FL
reply to AVD

said by AVD:

152V to earth?

That's what I overheard the electrical inspector tell the guy from the fire department.

It seemed everybody and his brother was showing up and filling out reams of paperwork.

Wayne
--

patcat88

join:2002-04-05
Jamaica, NY
reply to fluffy

said by fluffy :

looks ok to me.
it has a built in 'dont mess with me' anti vandal safety feature which electrocutes anyone who touches it and the construction looks pretty solid with all that concrete.

Gotta stop the copper thieves.

Now how did this box get 152 volts to ghetto ground? a 277 circuit?

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp
kudos:5

I've seen unusual voltages in the field before...

While I haven't "over analyzed" this by any means, I did notice one thing. If you have what I call "mixed neutrals", you'll have strange voltages.

What I mean by mixed neutrals is neutrals that have a system topology that is NOT a tree structure, but have interconnects in the field...essentially a ring. Usually you'll find this in older buildings that have had alot of "fingers" in the boxes and the buildings have been through a number of TIs.

I did some service work in an older commercial office space for a few months before the building was gutted. I noticed the weird voltages, but really didn't have the time or the inclination to figure it out since we were moving technical tenants out. We installed a new 3P4W 208V system, same as before using the same xfmr, and a new MDP, distribution panel boards and branch circuits, removing all of the old system completely.

The system worked perfectly after that for the three years I was there for service calls and tenant support.

My "hasty" but well-considered conclusion was that the mixed neutrals in a non-tree topology with constantly changing loads caused the strange voltages. It was an interesting problem, but I didn't have the time or instrumentation to resolve the issue.
--
»www.archive.org/details/Meatpies_1984

battleop

join:2005-09-28
reply to TheMG

"can be are really cheap"

I fixed your statement.