how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Jeff G

join:2001-07-31
Dayville, CT

not getting what paying for

about 2 months ago I upgraded. I dont get anywhere near 25 down as I am supposed ever. What to do? Just downgrade and save the $$?

tenpin784
I Went To The Dark Side?

join:2001-03-30
Brierfield, AL

What modem do you have? I would try the Boston (Towerstream) server as well. I have seen others get good results, and the ping is in the teens.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
join:2005-03-14
Putnam, CT
kudos:4
reply to Jeff G

The Granby server always seems a bit flaky to me so I typically chose Boston as well. Like Tenpin mentioned also what modem are you using? I bought a SB6120 from Target and it works very well. Also what does tech support say when you call them?

Jeff G

Dayville, CT
reply to Jeff G

I have the std MC issue modem 5120 I think. I thought about buying a modem to save the rental fee and upgrade at the same time. I will try other servers.
Thanks Guys I will reply soon.

Jeff G

Dayville, CT
reply to Jeff G

Here is the latest.

Jeff G

Dayville, CT
reply to Jeff G

so looks like a 6121 modem right to my PC took care of the issues. Once I connect the router back up I lose a bit. Is that just the nature of the beast or are there better routers out there then my WRT54G. Talking just speed wise. I know about wireless N bla blah blah.

jsz0
Premium
join:2008-01-23
Jewett City, CT
reply to Jeff G

A lot of older routers can't keep up with faster speeds. I'm not familiar with the specs on the WRT54G but it's not uncommon to hit a wall at about 25-30Mbit/sec (up & down combined) on older G routers. It also depends on what features you have enabled on the router itself since they will use CPU cycles that will reduce the total amount of throughput it can handle. Any newer N router will be fast enough to keep up. They can handle 100Mbit+ of throughput. (some newer G models can do 60-80Mbit throughput as well)

Jeff G

Dayville, CT

any current favorite routers?

nelamvr6
High-End Headphoniac
Premium
join:2000-11-28
New London, CT

said by Jeff G:

any current favorite routers?

Check out Maximum PC Magazine: »www.maximumpc.com/

They have a Best of the Best list, where you can find their list of components they have put through their paces.

Their current favorite router is this one:

»www.maximumpc.com/article/review···r_review

The Netgear WNDR4500.

I happen to have bought this based on their recommendation, and I can vouch for its performance. You can get it at Amazon for $180.00.

»www.amazon.com/Netgear-Wireless-···7&sr=8-1

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
join:2005-03-14
Putnam, CT
kudos:4
reply to Jeff G

Depends, what price range?

Jeff G

Dayville, CT
reply to Jeff G

just wanted to update this since the modem and router replacement my speeds have been as advertised.

icedcorn
IcedCorn
Premium
join:2007-07-08
Rochester, NH

That's what I had to do as well, I bought a DOCSIS 3.0 modem and replaced my WRT with a new Cisco one.. always over 20 down and 2 up....don't often hit 25 down but i'm ok..