Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

dslfan90

@sbcglobal.net
reply to Cjones

Re: Cut the cord...

said by Cjones :

I suggest that a 2-way mode of communication is better than a mode which isn't interactive. I suggest this because the two-way mode encourages creativity, thought, etc, rather than consumption, because, even if you choose simply to consume, as many do, at the very least, you have a wider choice of what to consume. Saying "it's just a matter of opinion" isn't an answer.

And your support for making the suggestions in your above statement would be what?

I see a lot of opinions being offered. Please provide facts and sources to support your viewpoint. I know that you feel that an opinion cannot be stated unless you also provide facts and sources to support them. If you can provide some authoritative case studies, that will be sufficient.

Cjones

@rogers.com
said by dslfan90 :

said by Cjones :

I suggest that a 2-way mode of communication is better than a mode which isn't interactive. I suggest this because the two-way mode encourages creativity, thought, etc, rather than consumption, because, even if you choose simply to consume, as many do, at the very least, you have a wider choice of what to consume. Saying "it's just a matter of opinion" isn't an answer.

And your support for making the suggestions in your above statement would be what?

You will find my support and reasons for the suggestion after the word "because" in my previous message, which is also quoted above.

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
Why is everyone saying a TV is one way? That is not true anymore. All of them now (except maybe the really cheap ones) have web browsers and apps and you can attach a $35 computer (got to get on the waiting list for the next batch out though) to it and your TV is no longer a passive watchum thingy. Plus, for years now in many areas you can order pizza and other food over your TV. That is not "passive".
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

Cjones

@rogers.com
said by Mele20:

Why is everyone saying a TV is one way? That is not true anymore.

I speak for myself, so the others who have taken that position can answer what they like. I don't have any problem with the flat piece of plastic and metal that people call a television. It can be one-way or two-way, but that has nothing to do with what we're talking about here. When you turn the plastic and metal into an interactive device, it's just a screen/audio producer with internet access, like many computers. There's no necessary cable bill to pay, no piped in programming to watch, etc. What I mean by TV is the programming sent from a sender to a receiver. When the television is connected to the internet, it's not TV anymore, it's the internet, or an intranet, or whatever, accessed through a device called a television.