spc
uniqs
Russ6
join:2011-03-17
Houston, TX

Russ6 to telcodad

to telcodad

Re: [DVR] Spectrum Quad Tuner DVR revealed

After reading the Wall Street Journal article "Comcast Tests Same Technology Used by Online-Video Rivals" by JESSICA E. VASCELLARO, it became clear to me that the test at MIT is not the X1 (Xfinity Spectrum DVR) or X3. Instead, it delivers live TV service to any device that can connect to the Internet. The following excerpt by Comcast's president of converged products Sam Schwartz does apply to X1 (Xfinity Spectrum DVR):
quote:
The Augusta trial will be expanded to other markets and the service will be rolled out next year, according to Mr. Schwartz.
said by telcodad:

Here's an item from today's cable news roundup article on the Light Reading Cable site:

Comcast Takes IP Video Back to School
By Jeff Baumgartner, Light Reading Cable - April 10, 2012
»www.lightreading.com/doc ··· lr_cable

"Comcast will use the Massachusetts Institute of Technology campus to test a new IP video delivery system this fall, reports The Wall Street Journal, noting that the trial will let students watch live TV on PCs or broadband-connected TVs via the campus network. The paper says the MSO could expand the trial to Comcast employees later in the year. There's no word on when Comcast might deploy the new platform commercially, but Light Reading Cable reported last week that the MSO has an IP-only set-top box/client on the roadmap called the X3. In the meantime, Comcast is testing a hybrid gateway called the X1 that relies on QAM for traditional video services and an IP connection to feed the device's cloud-based guide and integrated Web apps such as Facebook . (See Comcast Sizes Up All-IP Set-Top »www.lightreading.com/doc ··· lr_cable and Comcast IDs Cloud TV Product as 'X1' »www.lightreading.com/doc ··· lr_cable .)"

Edit: A link to the Wall Street Journal artice on this:

Comcast Tests Same Technology Used by Online-Video Rivals
»professional.wsj.com/art ··· 642.html

From an article insert:

"Trading the Set-Top Box for the Internet Age

A Juiced-Up Program Guide .. Would Be Just One of the Changes

With Comcast's current system:
- To watch live TV, viewers must have a set-top box.
- Live TV delivery system isn't compatible with Internet devices such as Xbox game consoles and computers.
- Program guide is stored inside each set-top box and offers limited features.

In the future:
- Consumers could watch live TV without a set-top box.
- Consumers could access live programming on Web-capable devices, such as tablets.
- Program guide is stored on remote services (as above), allowing for additional features like connections to social media and Web-video services.

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

2 edits

telcodad

MVM

said by Russ6:

After reading the Wall Street Journal article "Comcast Tests Same Technology Used by Online-Video Rivals" by JESSICA E. VASCELLARO, it became clear to me that the test at MIT is not the X1 (Xfinity Spectrum DVR) or X3. Instead, it delivers live TV service to any device that can connect to the Internet. The following excerpt by Comcast's president of converged products Sam Schwartz does apply to X1 (Xfinity Spectrum DVR):

quote:
The Augusta trial will be expanded to other markets and the service will be rolled out next year, according to Mr. Schwartz.

I don't know, Russ, while it's definitely not the X1 (aka "Xfinity Spectrum DVR" or the "Parker box"), it does sound a lot like the description given of the mysterious X3 box in the Light Reading Cable article (»www.lightreading.com/doc ··· _cable):

"[Comcast] has its first first all-IP set-top box on the roadmap, Light Reading Cable has learned.
:
Industry sources say the model, referred to as the X3, is an IP-based, HD client device that's capable of running Comcast's new cloud-based navigation system and handling future services, including a network DVR.
:
How the X3 will source linear and on-demand video in the early going was not immediately known. However, its appearance on the roadmap suggests that Comcast may be pursuing the deployment of an IP video simulcast.
:
It's not clear when Comcast will introduce the X3, though it's not expected until late 2012 or sometime next year."

For the MIT device, it's said that:

"The company will expand testing to Comcast employees later this year, allowing them to watch live programming via a small box or another device that can connect to the Internet like a computer, tablet or Microsoft Corp.'s Xbox gaming console in their homes."

So, it sounds to me like MIT is the X3 testbed, with the Comcast employees doing the "expanded testing ... later this year," in preparation for introducing it in "late 2012 or sometime next year."

The only other possibility is that it is the, undisclosed-until-now, "X2" box?
Russ6
Houston, TX

Russ6

An Excerpt from the Wall Street Journal article "Comcast Tests Same Technology Used by Online-Video Rivals" by JESSICA E. VASCELLARO,
quote:
Comcast will start testing its new video-delivery technology at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology this fall, according to a person familiar with the matter, allowing students to watch live TV on a computer or TV that can connect to the Internet over the local campus network, without a cable-hook up. A spokesman for MIT declined to comment.

The company will expand testing to Comcast employees later this year, allowing them to watch live programming via a small box or another device that can connect to the Internet like a computer, tablet or Microsoft Corp.'s Xbox gaming console in their homes. If the test is deemed a success, Comcast says the all IP-video system would eventually be added to its existing suite of services; it will continue to offer its traditional cable service for the foreseeable future.
It is difficult to tell exactly what is required. It sounds like, if you want to display the video on a computer you don't need any additional device. If you want to display the video on a TV, you would need an additional device. The additional device could be the X3 or maybe a media extender, such as a Xbox.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

Karl Bode has a link to his DSLR news item (»Comcast Tests IP Set Top at MIT [17] comments) on the MIT "all-IP STB" test (and ID'ed as the "X3") in the Comcast HSI forum this morning: »[NEWS] Comcast Tests IP Set Top at MIT
TiredRetired
join:2012-04-11
East Montpelier, VT

2 edits

TiredRetired to telcodad

to telcodad
Hello all. My first post here. I have been running a Cisco RNG200 DVR and a 1TB external drive via esata for 13 months now. Comcast in Vermont.

Since I have had the 200 I have been experiencing audio issues, freeze ups and random reboots with my box that Comcast has been unable to rectify. They keep promising fixes but they never come. They keep promising upgrades to my service but it never comes. World of More promised a year and a half ago and nothing. Is World of More something they even do anymore or have they bailed on that as well?

Now I see all this talk about these new boxes but will they ever come or is all this just more hyperbole? I see in a previous post that Comcast is continuing to test the X1 one city at a time basically every other month. Really? At the rate when will it ever be ready for mass distribution? Will it be ready before it is even obsolete? I want to stay with my triple play package as i really like the telephone and Internet but I look at what the competition is offering and Comcast is light years behind. It seems they are always testing and never deploying.

Sorry for the cynical post but my frustration meter with Comcast is pegging 10 right now. The money I give them each month most likely makes me the dumb one I guess.

Is there any hope in my lifetime (I am 63) that a SA/Cisco area of Comcast will ever see anything that approaches modern technology or am I living in la-la land?

mikedz4
join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV

mikedz4

don't feel bad us motorola folk have had the same i-guide for at least 4 or 5 years now. Sure we've had enhancements or service packs as windows calls them but the main system is the same.
TiredRetired
East Montpelier, VT

TiredRetired to Russ6

to Russ6
More promises. Comcast's loyal customers need results for their money. Again, not trying to be cynical, just saying what a lot of customers up here are thinking.

I call the Comcast CSR and their response: "We know, we have had a lot of complaints about that". DOH! Fix it then, dammit.

At least they have had the fore sight to at least allow the eSata port to be active and allow us to have something besides the 160GB internal drives. Sheesh.

mikedz4
Weirton, WV

mikedz4

you need to email corporate and let them know you are unhappy.
TiredRetired
East Montpelier, VT

TiredRetired

I have and never get a response. On Comcast Voices I am now banned apparently because my questions are no longer posted. I was never rude or condescending. Just asking hard questions and expecting answers. I thought that is what the web site was for.

After the last guide update for us in March 2011, I went through 4 DVR's just to get one to work with my external hard drive. The CSR's were adamant that the external was not supported and would not work, even after I pointied out that Ted Hodgkins on Comcast Voices specifically stated on his web site that it would. I finally got through to a Comcast Tech Supervisor who had a brand new Cisco RNG200 delivered and installed at my house. That is the one I am using now.

The tech supervisor stood right in my living room and assured me that by the fall of 2011 we would be all digital, more HD channels via the World of More and Guide 2.0 would be pushed taking care of the latest problems and glitches plaguing the last guide update. Here it is April of 2012 and all I hear about are the great new products that are being tested, but they have not gotten the old ones to work properly yet. At least for me.

Very frustrating company model for me to wrap my old geezer mind around and try to rationalize.

It is only TV after all. Bigger problems in life to deal with. It is just frustrating to be taken advantage of. They never forget to deduct the monthly payment from the Auto Pay account though.

mikedz4
Weirton, WV

mikedz4

I'd start by CALLING the corporate phone number. Then contact you local tv station to see if they want to investigate.
Russ6
Houston, TX

Russ6 to TiredRetired

to TiredRetired
There are known problems with the current guide and Cisco RNG 200 DVRs, but it sounds like some of the problems you are having may be caused by signal issues. You can check the diagnostic pages to see if there are issues with your signal. Comcast is slow in rolling out guide updates and new set top boxes. The linked post has information about Comcast's current plans:

»Re: [STB] Comcast Interactive TVs Instant Info Widgets?
TiredRetired
East Montpelier, VT

TiredRetired to mikedz4

to mikedz4
Update.

I called the CEO of Comcast. I did not exactly get him, LOL, but I did get an associate. She listen to me and said someone would call me shortly. They did. A regional supervisor of some sort listened to my dirge and did some investigating. It seems as Russ said, most of my issues are software related and changing out the box will be of no consequence. The Rep assured me that the next guide is due to roll out here in Vermont this summer and the new software will be much more stable. She also informed me that everything will be in place for VOD on Tivo Premier here this summer as well if I choose to go in that direction. Comcast has waived my DVR fee for a year to keep me happy. Funniest thing, the DVR went dead while talking to the Rep and required a hard reboot. I mentioned that to her as well. This happens about 2-3 times a week.

I sure hope the eSata port will still be active after the upgrade as going back to 160 GB is not an option. That will probably push me closer to a TIVO if that happens.

Cheers
Russ6
Houston, TX

Russ6

It is unusual to have to reboot the DVR several times a week. I have SA 8300 HD DVRs and they don't have to be rebooted that often. I reboot about once or twice a month to prevent potential problems.

usry723
join:2009-04-09
Augusta, GA

usry723

Just found out my local office has these. Thinking about calling them and trying to get one installed. Are they worth it?
TiredRetired
East Montpelier, VT

TiredRetired to Russ6

to Russ6
I should have clarified a bit. Mostly the box will reboot on it's own after a freeze up or other similar do funny. Very annoying to say the least. Now, before the guide update my SA 8300HD worked virtually flawless. I just could not get one to work with the external drive after the update. Worked great with the SARA guide. Go figure.
Russ6
Houston, TX

Russ6 to usry723

to usry723
said by usry723:

Just found out my local office has these. Thinking about calling them and trying to get one installed. Are they worth it?

If you are having problems with your current DVR, it might be worth it, but it will not get On-Screen Guide 2.0. Also, the DVRs that I have do not use a cable card and are old. The cable card version SA 8300 HDC DVR may have some problems but I don't know for sure.
Russ6

Russ6 to TiredRetired

to TiredRetired
said by TiredRetired:

I should have clarified a bit. Mostly the box will reboot on it's own after a freeze up or other similar do funny. Very annoying to say the least. Now, before the guide update my SA 8300HD worked virtually flawless. I just could not get one to work with the external drive after the update. Worked great with the SARA guide. Go figure.

That is strange that your SA 8300HD wouldn't work with the external drive after the guide update. It should have even retained your recordings. This is the first time that I have seen this reported. I have seen reports of missing recordings.
TiredRetired
East Montpelier, VT

TiredRetired

It retained the recordings so at first I thought that all would be well. However the first time i attempted to pause live TV the box froze up and would not respond. A reboot cleared things up until I tried to pause live TV again. it's been over a year now and I just do not recall if I tried a recorded show. I must have but I do not recall how that worked. I tried two other SA boxes. The first one was an older non cable card box and it would not work at all. Locked in an endless loop of reboots. The second was a cable card 8300HDC and it exhibited the same symptoms as my original box. The third box was a refurb 200 that was DOA. Now bear in mind I live in the boonies and the nearest office is 50 miles one way so my frustration meter was now pegging a 10. LOL. The fourth box was hand delivered brand new in the box by two techs no less. It's been a pain in the ass for sure but not the end of world. It is just TV after all. Now Comcast is adamant that TIVO VOD will be available here in a few months and 2.0 will be available mid to late summer. We shall see. If my external HD does not work with 2.0 I will be forced to go to Any Room DVR. Hopefully Triple Play customers will get a little break on the pricing.

mikedz4
Weirton, WV

mikedz4 to usry723

to usry723
yes get the spectrum dvr and tell us what you think of it.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

Just saw this item on the Light Reading Cable site:

Comcast Tests Network DVR in Boston
By Jeff Baumgartner, Light Reading Cable - April 13, 2012
»www.lightreading.com/doc ··· lr_cable

A few short excerpts:

"Comcast Corp. is conducting a small, technical trial of a network DVR that closely mimics what Cablevision Systems Corp. has already deployed to its customers, Light Reading Cable has learned.

And when we say small trial, we're talking tiny small. The Boston test, says an industry source, has fewer than a dozen people on it during the early phases.
:
It's also considered to be more power- and cost-efficient than deploying set-tops outfitted with local hard drives. The all-IP "X3" HD client box said to be on Comcast's roadmap is the kind of device that could take advantage of a network DVR."