how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Maclaurin

join:2010-05-06
Buffalo, NY

[HD] Picture Jitter

I've had FiOS TV & internet for over a year now with absolutely no problems. My uncle who lives less than half a mile away had FiOS Triple Play installed last month and has this persistent picture jitter issue. It is as if the video has just a slight lag and then rushes to catch up with the audio. We've tried both the the HDMI connection to the television and the component connection with the same results. It doesn't happen on all the channels but some, like TBS & TNT, are much worse than the others. It doesn't seem to matter if we watch the HD feed or the SD feed. I updated the firmware in the TV and tried turning off some of the settings on the TV like AMP. It is a Samsung D7000 series 3D TV (my TV is also a Samsung but not a 3D model). I've tried changing the TV output on the Cisco STB and it didn't have any effect.

The Verizon techs have replaced everything in the house (ONT, STB, Router, all wiring) and the problem persists. My uncle was on the phone with technical support and they claim the problem is from trying to push too much data through the system. I'm not sure I believe that because I don't have this problem nor does my brother-in-law who also lives close by. My uncle and I are understandably frustrated by Verizon's lack of interest in fixing this problem. He's within his 30 cancellation window and will cancel FiOS if they're unable or unwilling to correct the issue.

On behalf of my uncle, I would like to thank you for any help or advice you may be able to provide.

hubrisnxs

join:2009-12-30
Fountain Valley, CA
kudos:2
did you try lowering the refresh rate in your tv? jitter comes from that a lot of times.

joe01880

join:2007-10-26
Wakefield, MA

1 edit
reply to Maclaurin
The problem has been noticiable with some customers but not all customers it seems since the deployment of IMG 1.9
What set top box do you have and what set top box does your uncle have.

My brother who lived in MD had the same symtoms you speak of and had a 7232 STB, i also have a 7232 STB and do not have that problem here in MA.

At my brothers house in MD all of his STB's were replaced by the Cisco 435 STB's and when i am at his/now my sister-in-laws house in MD none of us notice the lag you describe with the new box.

Changing the refresh rate of your TV as suggested in the 2nd post can help with soap opera effect that some TV's experience. My Sony will also do it. My brother-in-laws Samsung will too. The problem described by the OP does not sound like a refresh rate or soap opera effect problem..but could be, never hurts to play with it.

nickfie

join:1999-11-23
Wynnewood, PA
reply to Maclaurin
I've seen two causes:

1. TV working too hard to process the signal. There's a computer inside the set to massage the signal into pixels on the screen. Plummeting HDTV prices compel manufacturers to squeeze component cost while adding features. This makes it likely the set has an under-powered processor trying to do too much and occasionally falling behind.

1a. Disable noise reduction and similar features in the TV. Also disable all zoom and smoothing functions. Once you get a solid picture you can try enabling these features one by one.
1b. Try setting the FiOS box to present 720p signal to the TV.
1c. Use the HDMI 1 input - on some sets it gets better processing than the other inputs.

2. Signal quality.

2a. Ensure you have a high-quality HDMI cable between the FiOS TV box and the TV. Ensure there are no folds or kinks in the cable. This solved picture quality problems for me and several friends.

2b. Ensure there's a high-quality coax cable path between the FiOS TV box and the ONT.
- RG 6 (thick) coax cable
- Connectors firmly attached and fastened
- Only one signal splitter
- No kinks, sharp corners or fasteners crimping in the cable
- No staples through the cable. A friend finally found this obscure problem caused his poor picture quality.

Good luck.

kes601

join:2007-04-14
Virginia Beach, VA

1 edit
reply to hubrisnxs
I have seen this periodically since IMG 1.9 on my 7232s.

@nickfie: In this case it has nothing to do with the coax cable or the HDMI cable.

An HDMI cable is an HDMI cable whether you are using the Vz supplied cable, a $75 cable from Best Buy, or a $5 cable from Monoprice.

Coax connections would have nothing to do with a picture speeding up. Bad connections could cause pixelation or complete picture loss, but it would never cause a picture to basically play back at 1.5x normal speed to catch up to the audio.

My guess is that this is an IMG 1.9 bug (along w/the macroblocking and other picture blips).

Maclaurin

join:2010-05-06
Buffalo, NY
reply to Maclaurin
Thank you all for your responses. I'll swing by his house later this week to try your suggestions and report back.

Thank you again.

joe01880

Wakefield, MA
reply to kes601
said by kes601:

I have seen this periodically since IMG 1.9 on my 7232s.

@nickfie: In this case it has nothing to do with the coax cable or the HDMI cable.

An HDMI cable is an HDMI cable whether you are using the Vz sullied cable, a $75 cable from Best Buy, or a $5 cable from Monoprice.

I use the $5 cables from Monoprice on my Sony NX810 3D HDTV and get great PQ in both HD and 3D.

rpjoe
Premium
join:2007-09-22
Rochelle Park, NJ
reply to Maclaurin
do not change settings on the tv, you will be wasting your time. its the moto box. i've had the same issue as you described. until they update with a fix, if it bothers you that much simply pause the program for a second then resume play.
--
~ FiOS ~ * UltimateHD * QIP7232-2 * 50/20rev.G * iPhone4 S 64GB W *

kes601

join:2007-04-14
Virginia Beach, VA
reply to joe01880
Yep, since HDMI is all digital it should not make one bit of difference. Component cables, then the build quality could make significant differences since it is analog.

joe01880

Wakefield, MA
reply to rpjoe
said by rpjoe:

do not change settings on the tv, you will be wasting your time. its the moto box. i've had the same issue as you described. until they update with a fix, if it bothers you that much simply pause the program for a second then resume play.

I have had FiOS a long time now, all the Moto STB's have sucked to one degree or another. (knocking on wood) the 7232-2 I have now has been the most stable STB i have had from Verizon.
I went to a TiVo box 4 years ago because the Vz STB's were so bad, what was bugging me then were audio drop outs and bad, just incorrect guide data but I have had STB's the made every thing on the screen green, SD that was unwatchable video drop outs, you name it pretty much i have had it and I am no body special just your average Joe so i figure if i have had all that others must be going through hell.
I have tried to except the problems as growing pains for FiOS but after this long its just bad business for people to have problem after problem with FiOS STB's. Every fix and every update seem to create another set of problems. (please spare me the programers cry of bugs in code, i dont buy it)
If not for the PQ and low price I would have bailed years ago back to cable for internet and a little dish for TV, i hardly use my house phone any more now with having a (non Verizon) smart phone but compared to the alternatives FiOS PQ IMO is by far the best for watching HD and i get the bundle for the same price i was paying 6 years ago. I just dont use the FiOS STB much, maybe thats why it doesnt bother me much too.