All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed
« IMEI change
This is a sub-selection from Ok , that is just messed up.

Pirate515
Premium
join:2001-01-22
Brooklyn, NY
reply to ohreally

Re: Ok , that is just messed up.

said by ohreally :

Hopefully the US contributes to and uses the list that is used in Europe to make a stolen phone even more useless.

Great idea! Similar to what they do with cars. AFAIK, the car VIN sh!t list is international, so if a car gets reported stolen, totaled or salvaged in one part of the world, it cannot be registered anywhere.
--
Ask me no questions, and I'll tell you no lies...
A MESSAGE to the RIAA and the MPAA: You shouldn't wound what you can't kill...

BosstonesOwn

join:2002-12-15
Wakefield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

I call BS on this one, I had my truck stolen and the thing turned up in Saudi Arabia 9 months later.

Yet it was registered and was being driven, the reason we even found it was that I had setup the nav system to report when check engine lights came on.

The person must have connected it to wifi to sync the music library and it emailed me the report, which we sent to the police and the insurance company, no one did a thing. and it sends me frequent reports when the person syncs with the music library.
--
"It's always funny until someone gets hurt......and then it's absolutely friggin' hysterical!"

vpoko
Premium
join:2003-07-03
Boston, MA

I can imagine why the Everett police and your insurance company weren't able or willing to do anything about your truck in Suadia Arabia.

moonpuppy

join:2000-08-21
Glen Burnie, MD
reply to Pirate515

said by Pirate515:

Great idea! Similar to what they do with cars. AFAIK, the car VIN sh!t list is international, so if a car gets reported stolen, totaled or salvaged in one part of the world, it cannot be registered anywhere.

Yeah, that's BS. Other than the story of the truck in Saudi Arabia, Mexico has tons of stolen cars that were taken from this country.

talz13

join:2006-03-15
Avon, OH
reply to BosstonesOwn

Sounds like a job for Interpol!

BosstonesOwn

Wakefield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

No sounds like a job for my insurance company who is global to go and try and get the vehicle back. Instead they bump my rates to compensate for some ass who stole my stuff. It's not right.
--
"It's always funny until someone gets hurt......and then it's absolutely friggin' hysterical!"

talz13

join:2006-03-15
Avon, OH

Yeah, that's no good. Thankfully I have never had a car stolen, but I would want someone to kick some ass on my behalf if it did happen!

vpoko
Premium
join:2003-07-03
Boston, MA
reply to BosstonesOwn

They have to balance the cost of writing off your car versus the cost of trying to track it down halfway around the world. Either way that cost is getting passed onto the customer.

BosstonesOwn

Wakefield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by vpoko:

They have to balance the cost of writing off your car versus the cost of trying to track it down halfway around the world. Either way that cost is getting passed onto the customer.

But that is exactly the problem, they pass it on to us , but yet they won't go after the criminals who do it. Very bad precedent to set.
--