Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5

[OLEXP] OE Identity how to correct a mistake setting up?

I don't know how I managed to screw something this simple up (especially after using OE identities for many years with no problems).

I set up a new Identity a couple of months ago. Each Identity stands alone with its own password. Each Identity is completely separate from the other Identities. The new Identity gets very little mail so I suppose that is why I didn't realize I had a problem until now.

Somehow, I managed to both set up a SEPARATE new Identity, with its own password, and ALSO SET UP THE SAME NEW IDENTITY UNDER another older Identity. That explains why sometimes I get mail for the new Identity in the older Identity's Inbox. So, I know what is wrong now but I don't know how to fix it.

How do I get the mail that is in the older Identity's Inbox into the New Identity's mailbox? I tried forwarding it but I am forwarding it to the same address but to that Identity as a separate Identity not as a sub-identity of the older Identity where the mail is now sitting. OE won't let me forward it. It throws an error.

The mail is not still on the server or I could just download it again (that was also screwed up...it should have been configured to save on the server and wasn't).
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

psafux
Premium,VIP
join:2005-11-10
kudos:2

Remove the mail settings or otherwise disable it from receiving temporarily (remove the username, password, modify the incoming server, change a port # etc so it -cannot- connect), forward the desired mail and receive it in the correct profile (identity).

tcg
Premium
join:2003-09-12
Lubbock, TX
reply to Mele20

Break the mail settings on the identity you want to move mail from so that it can't retrieve mail. Exit OE.

Find the Identity folder for the identity you want to move mail from, copy it to the desktop, start OE and log in using the identity to which you want to move the mail. Import it from the desktop.

Delete the identity you don't want any more.

SipSizzurp
Fo' Shizzle
Premium
join:2005-12-28
Houston, TX
kudos:4

4 edits
reply to Mele20

said by Mele20:

...How do I get the mail that is in the older Identity's Inbox into the New Identity's mailbox? I tried forwarding it but I am forwarding it to the same address...

Use the data export / import wizards located under "tools". This may cause some duplicate massages if you aren't careful.

Edit - Pluralized Wizizardses
Edit 2 - Always make a backup copy of any important data folders before performing any operations.
--
"Pink Slime" -- an ammonia-treated filler. McDonald’s and other chains stopped using it last month ....

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
reply to psafux

Thanks. This is the easiest and fastest since I don't have much mail to move. I changed the port number on the incoming server for the sub identity and then OE sent it with no objection to the stand alone separate Identity that has the same name and password as the sub identity that I didn't know I somehow created.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
reply to tcg

said by tcg:

Break the mail settings on the identity you want to move mail from so that it can't retrieve mail. Exit OE.

Find the Identity folder for the identity you want to move mail from, copy it to the desktop, start OE and log in using the identity to which you want to move the mail. Import it from the desktop.

Delete the identity you don't want any more.

This would work if I wanted to move all the mail from the Identity that also has a sub identity. But I just wanted to move the mail that came into the sub identity.

I don't like messing with dbx files. It's easy to screw them up. Yes, I have a backup up program (ancient little proggie that you cannot download for the last 6-7 years but it still works great to backup all identities). So, I back upped but I still don't like messing with dbx files.

But the real problem here is that I couldn't see any evidence in C:\Documents and Settings\M\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities of a dbx folder for this sub identity. It is evidently held by OE mixed in with the primary identity of which it is a sub identity. So, I would be moving/copying both the primary and sub identities if I followed your instructions. It is not easy always to figure out what identities dbx folder belongs to which identity. There are 11 of them. I had to go by file creation date and size of the folder and I couldn't see any folder that could represent the sub identity that I wanted to move the mail from.
--

tcg
Premium
join:2003-09-12
Lubbock, TX

In any case, glad you got it sorted to your satisfaction.

psafux
Premium,VIP
join:2005-11-10
kudos:2
reply to Mele20

Happy to have helped.