spc
Search similar:

uniqs

CBcustomer
@fuse.net

CBcustomer

Anon

New FIOS (FTTN) installation... Output power question / slow

I just had FTTN installed and I'm not getting speeds advertised by my provider. I want to provide you guys with a screen shot of my current modem/router so you can see if anything is off. I'm supposed to get 30 down and 5 up, but I get more like 10-15 down and my upstream is pretty good.

»dl.dropbox.com/u/1097084 ··· uter.png

I don't know enough to understand all of this but I'm think maybe the Output Power on my downstream is off?
xwaretech
join:2011-01-30
Bedford, OH

xwaretech

By the looks of it, you have a VERY high SNR for fiber (100's for Down and almost 90 for up) that can mean a few things, your installation is not tight enough (screws loose somewhere) or a cable got nicked. Call Verizon have them check lines. Also, are you directly connected? or router?

CBcustomer
@fuse.net

CBcustomer

Anon

I am connected using the provided Router/Modem combo provided by my ISP. What exactly is the SNR?
xwaretech
Bedford, OH

xwaretech

Sound to Noise Ratio = SNR

I took another look at the screenshot, it says your getting 30/4.9 in pathing 0, are you running a speedtest through an outside service?

CBcustomer
@insightbb.com

CBcustomer

Anon

Yes. I've also run the speedtest from my ISP and I get similar results.

So you think the statistics look about right for the speed I should be getting?
xwaretech
Bedford, OH

xwaretech

can you post Screenshots of your speed tests? maybe another pic of the modem config as well.
jcremin
join:2009-12-22
Siren, WI

jcremin to CBcustomer

to CBcustomer
Are you running a flash-based speed test? If so, try the speed test in a different browser. Or maybe try a different method such as a Java or FTP test. Many flash tests can consume your CPU and cause the reading to be much lower than you are really getting. My desktop computer only reads about 3 megs on firefox test to speedtest.net, but if I run it in Chrome, it will go to 20 megs.