I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC
kudos:17
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico
reply to shearer

Re: End of Windows XP support means beginning of security...

Unless the link indicates otherwise shearer See Profile those would be firm dates at this time. But we all know of Win 98 but we won't go there.

caffeinator
Coming soon to a cup near you..
Premium
join:2005-01-16
WA, USA
kudos:4
reply to StuartMW

Re:  

Nice.

It's the only lappy I own, so no cables like that lying around. Not worth buying one for it either as I got it for free many years ago.

I use it to surf around in the living room when Nascar is on...the only thing I don't watch online on the main box.
--

My 9/11 Tribute..online since 9/14/01
Need an Avatar? Check out Wafen's Avatar Pages

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch
kudos:2

said by caffeinator:

...so no cables like that lying around.

Having been around and working with PC's since the 80's I have a large collection of adapters/boards/etc. Trouble is I can never find them... quickly anyway
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

caffeinator
Premium
WA, USA

I do too, but for PC's only.

I know what ya mean about finding stuff as I "need" a RS-232 serial cable for an old UPS I got for $9 the other day, but can I find one?

Meh!

waldstein

join:2010-07-25
Hoserland
reply to daveinpoway

My quad core processor on a 32bit board with 4 gigs of memory is quite happy with XP. I have not even attempted to "update" my XP from the Microsoft site in a year or so, and I remain totally free of viruses and malware. I know how to protect myself and would remain as careful even if I had the latest, greatest, MS OS.

I have a great many legacy apps that are not easily compatible with newer windows versions; and replacements for them are either non existent or expensive. Screw that!

Finally, I question the morality of people who disdain XP users simply because XP is an "old" OS. I'm old, myself, and functioning quite well, tyvm.

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch
reply to caffeinator

Re:  

said by caffeinator:

...but can I find one?

Last time I moved I bought a whole bunch of those zip-lock freezer bags (large) and put all like-cables in one bag (e.g. serial in one, parallel in another, USB in another etc). I still have to find the bag I need but at least the cables I want are in there (maybe).
--

caffeinator
Premium
WA, USA

said by StuartMW:

I still have to find the bag I need but at least the cables I want are in there (maybe).

Haha! Yeah, I know my serial cable is in the box with my old Cisco 678...wherever that may be. Too lazy to search ATM.
--

caffeinator
Premium
WA, USA
reply to waldstein

said by waldstein:

My quad core processor on a 32bit board with 4 gigs of memory is quite happy with XP. I have not even attempted to "update" my XP from the Microsoft site in a year or so, and I remain totally free of viruses and malware. I know how to protect myself and would remain as careful even if I had the latest, greatest, MS OS.

Yeah..I do however let my XP VM update (notify only).

Over 75 updates from a vanilla SP3 install. But, now I have a perfectly working and customized 2.5GB up-to-date XPpro exported appliance that's good to go.

said by waldstein:

Finally, I question the morality of people who disdain XP users simply because XP is an "old" OS. I'm old, myself, and functioning quite well, tyvm.

Same here man.
--

sivran
Opera ex-pat
Premium
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX
kudos:1
reply to StuartMW

Re:  

Hmm, I should consider doing that with the WinME box I keep around just to run some software for my watch (old school Timex Datalink, oh yeah). I wonder if it will actually work in the VM.
--
Think Outside the Fox.

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch

said by sivran:

I wonder if it will actually work in the VM.

Should do unless you need to use USB. That doesn't work in VPC 2007 but might in Win7 (?).
--

caffeinator
Premium
WA, USA

My USB CM Storm Spawn mouse & flash drive work fine in my VirtualBox XP, even USB 2.0 works with an add-on pack.

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium
join:2000-01-13
kudos:3
reply to Dude111

Changing your browser agent won't make the page work any better with the non-proprietary IE coding.

Win 98se had many limitations which were fixed with future operating systems, it's how things go. Just because you're either too broke, or too attached to it is your problem. Nobody is supporting it anymore. You would be far better off using a used p4 computer somebody was throwing away with XP, or ubuntu than that machine.
--
I distrust those people who know so well what god wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires- Susan B. Anthony
Yesterday we obeyed kings, and bent out necks before emperors. But today we kneel only to the truth- Kahlil G.

WhyMe420
Premium
join:2009-04-06
reply to waldstein

said by caffeinator:

My old PIII Win2K box is as secure as it was in 2004, it's just not that useful anymore.

My old 2000's era apps and games run faster in a XP VM on my C2D than they could possibly do in hardware from their era. It's the best of both worlds.

Let the old dogs lie, I say.

I wouldn't be so sure about that, unless you haven't used Windows Update on that Win2K box since 2004... Microsoft stopped providing security patches for Win2K on July 13, 2010. Therefore any security holes after that date are wide open.

I agree though, running whatever old apps you need on a modern OS in a VM is much preferable over running an ancient OS.

said by waldstein:

I have a great many legacy apps that are not easily compatible with newer windows versions; and replacements for them are either non existent or expensive. Screw that!

Quad core doesn't mean anything, what is it a Core 2? Getting some age on it, though it would still be a nice CPU with a modern OS (Vista/7.) If you don't ever update XP, then you have nothing to worry about (except trojans, rootkits, malware, etc. ,) as MS will simply stop providing more updates for XP in two years from now. By then your machine will be pretty outdated, and the security holes in your OS will have grown immensely. If you're okay with "remaining careful" that's fine, but sooner or later you will have a script exploit or something come through (unless you hardly ever browse the Internet) and you will regret not ever updating Windows. Hell you could already have a rootkit and not even know it. Free country though, I just hope that your machine won't be a candidate as a DDoS zombie or a botnet.

As for "morality," it's an operating system, not a living being. I never will understand people becoming attached to unsentimental inanimate objects (or in this case, ancient software.) It's one thing to like retro stuff, but to think that you can go forever on an old system, and that companies like Microsoft should spend money on obsolete software, is beyond me.

LondonOntGuy

join:2004-05-12
London, ON

1 recommendation

reply to daveinpoway

I wouldn't have a problem with this if Vista and 7 weren't steaming piles of shit. I ran 7 the other day for less than 30 minutes before I nuked it off my system. Leave it to M$ to fuck up something as simple as a 'search' function on the O/S, and make it way more complicated than it has to be.

caffeinator
Premium
WA, USA

said by LondonOntGuy:

I wouldn't have a problem with this if Vista and 7 weren't steaming piles of shit. I ran 7 the other day for less than 30 minutes before I nuked it off my system. Leave it to M$ to fuck up something as simple as a 'search' function on the O/S, and make it way more complicated than it has to be.

Are you serious, or just not well?

As a very devoted Win98SEWin2K/WinXP guy, I can say Win7 blows the clotted junk off of every M$ OS it predeceases.

Period.

If you do not have the hardware to run Win7 well. Then, you're more poor than a guy on SSI. Because I do thanks to CL and Ebay.
--

rcdailey
Dragoonfly
Premium
join:2005-03-29
Rialto, CA

+1

LondonOntGuy

London, ON
reply to caffeinator

said by caffeinator:

Are you serious, or just not well?

Far as I know, that's the only way to search. That's what I hate mostly about 7. To me, it's clumsy and annoying. I like being able to pull up any folder and be able to search for a certain file in it or it's sub-folders.

caffeinator
Premium
WA, USA

It isn't, but I'm not gonna confuse ya with DOS commands if you think that is the only way....C'mon....who actually searches often?

I know where my stuff is.
I have progs, pics, vids, downloads, etc all where I want them.

Do you not know how file folders work?

I have c:\tmp for downloads, c:\temp for extracted d/l's and chit i want to keep

Etc.

I make Windows do what *I* want.

Manage yer shit and you won't need to search. Define download dirs for yer browsers...know where files go. Do not DL to Desktop.

When I DO need to search for some obscure file, I use the BETTER search in Total Commander. It can search my entire C: in seconds.
--

LondonOntGuy

London, ON

Dude, I have 3 externals and my 1TB main HDD broken up into several smaller partitions. I know how to organize my shit, most of the time.

Maybe I'll just go to Ubuntu or some other variation of Linux after XP support is completely removed.

caffeinator
Premium
WA, USA

3 edits

I wasn't talking about partitioning or drives, but basic file folder usage and organization. I know where files are on 12yo HDD's or my Mom's computer over the phone...because I use a standard system that hasn't really changed since DOS 3.3.

I could boot up my Pentium 233MX from 1996 right now, and know where things are at. I have about 10 computers spanning over 30+ years of computing including a Macintosh LC 575 that works as good as the day it was made, I know nearly every file of mine on all of them.

I do hope you know GREP if you go *nix...

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5

1 recommendation

reply to LondonOntGuy

Vista and Win 7 search are terrible. Neither of those OSes can find itself much less any obscure file (particularly a Windows file) you are looking for. Plus, I do not want any indexing done. I don't need indexing as I know where my personal files are. Pus, Vista and Win7 want to index the very files that I know EXACTLY where each is located. They don't want to index the files that possibly need indexing such as C:\Downloaded Programs.
If I am searching that folder, after my computer is a year or so old, it is gigantic and files there are not necessarily under the name of the program I installed. Plus, I do all Microsoft security patches manually and I check file versions listed in the Microsoft table before and after installing each patch and many of those are rather obscure Windows files that I don't know always where they are located. So, sometimes I need a good search program like the one in XP where I installed the W2000 search interface (got rid of the cartoony XP search GUI).

The third party search that I installed on Vista Ultimate, used on Win 7 beta, and will immediately install on my upcoming new computer is Agent Ransack. It is very fast and quite like W2000/XP search. Plus, it doesn't need to index to search quickly (thus does not need to run all the time which is a MAJOR PLUS) and it has the ability to search within files. It is free.

»www.mythicsoft.com/page.aspx?typ···age=home
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

LondonOntGuy

London, ON
reply to daveinpoway

We all would have moved onto the successor(s) of XP if it wasn't so horrible. No excuse at all for Vista being as messed up as it was. That's the only reason XP has lasted so long.

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to LondonOntGuy

Open Explorer, point to where you want to start searching, and type stuff into the search box.

One thing you might not have noticed (30 mins didn't seem to be long enough to read the info) is that the default is to use the disk index rather than beating the disk to hell reading every file. This is a laudable efficiency improvement -- the old simple-minded way doesn't really scale to today's disk sizes -- but doesn't always get what you want. You can configure that, though.

OZO
Premium
join:2003-01-17

1 edit

Do you think indexing does something other, than "beating the disk to hell reading every file"? Or may be you know some other way to get info from a file without reading it?

Indexing is a common exchange between speed and size. With indexing you get better speed and loose your disk space. And the bigger HD size you have in your posession, the bigger space (and time) it takes to make that index database (obviously), which keeps info about all the files on that HD...

So, with indexing you trash your disk by "beating the disk to hell reading every file" that you're probably never going to search and your computer has to keep index database always updated (or it will keep deleted files, removed data from files, etc, making it useless) all the time, keeping your HD/CPU busy. So, pick up your poison...

Personally I prefer to use live search, but not the slow default windows search. I use two different (and very fast) tools - one to search a file by name, and another one to search data in files. Its two different tasks, thus two different tools.
--
Keep it simple, it'll become complex by itself...

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

Man, you love to quibble, don't you.

The point of indexing is that it gets done when you're not waiting for the results. That's the tradeoff: do work ahead of time so you don't have to wait when you need the results.

"Trashing your disk" supposes that using a disk somehow causes it to die sooner.. unless this is a popular typo for "thrashing". And I'd characterise the live search as "thrashing".

I personally use live search too - findstr from the command line for content, dir from the command line for naming. But my preferences don't mean that indexing is a technology that has no place.

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5

There is nothing else one can do on their computer while search takes place? That's odd. I always have a bunch of things to do while searching. Computers do multitasking you know.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

Thaler
Premium
join:2004-02-02
Los Angeles, CA
reply to daveinpoway

Did people expect lifetime support or something?

If remaining XP users really don't want to plunk down the cash for a copy of Windows 7 (or 8, assuming it isn't a ME/Vista v2.0), then most any distro of Linux should have full hardware support by now for systems that shipped with XP on them.

Thaler
Premium
join:2004-02-02
Los Angeles, CA
reply to Dude111

Re:  

said by Dude111:

Win98se is even older but that doesnt mean IT ISNT GOOD!! (Quite the opposite.. 98se is one of the best ever released!)

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
join:2003-08-04
USA
kudos:12

1 recommendation

reply to daveinpoway

said by Mele20 :
There is nothing else one can do on their computer while search takes place? That's odd. I always have a bunch of things to do while searching. Computers do multitasking you know.
Some people ARE SO IMPAITENT its not funny,they cant wait 10 seconds..... ITS GOTTA BE INSTANT!!

pokesph
It Is Almost Fast
Premium
join:2001-06-25
Sacramento, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to daveinpoway

There is STILL no viable upgrade path from XP to Win7!

Once this is addressed, then us XP holdouts may consider updating.

We'll take our chances after EOL
--
Webmaster - Steve
- - - - - - - - - - - -
»www.1-gb.net
»www.ppnstudio.com