share rss forum feed

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5

1 recommendation

reply to LondonOntGuy

Re: End of Windows XP support means beginning of security...

Vista and Win 7 search are terrible. Neither of those OSes can find itself much less any obscure file (particularly a Windows file) you are looking for. Plus, I do not want any indexing done. I don't need indexing as I know where my personal files are. Pus, Vista and Win7 want to index the very files that I know EXACTLY where each is located. They don't want to index the files that possibly need indexing such as C:\Downloaded Programs.
If I am searching that folder, after my computer is a year or so old, it is gigantic and files there are not necessarily under the name of the program I installed. Plus, I do all Microsoft security patches manually and I check file versions listed in the Microsoft table before and after installing each patch and many of those are rather obscure Windows files that I don't know always where they are located. So, sometimes I need a good search program like the one in XP where I installed the W2000 search interface (got rid of the cartoony XP search GUI).

The third party search that I installed on Vista Ultimate, used on Win 7 beta, and will immediately install on my upcoming new computer is Agent Ransack. It is very fast and quite like W2000/XP search. Plus, it doesn't need to index to search quickly (thus does not need to run all the time which is a MAJOR PLUS) and it has the ability to search within files. It is free.

»www.mythicsoft.com/page.aspx?typ···age=home
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

LondonOntGuy

join:2004-05-12
London, ON
reply to daveinpoway
We all would have moved onto the successor(s) of XP if it wasn't so horrible. No excuse at all for Vista being as messed up as it was. That's the only reason XP has lasted so long.

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to LondonOntGuy
Open Explorer, point to where you want to start searching, and type stuff into the search box.

One thing you might not have noticed (30 mins didn't seem to be long enough to read the info) is that the default is to use the disk index rather than beating the disk to hell reading every file. This is a laudable efficiency improvement -- the old simple-minded way doesn't really scale to today's disk sizes -- but doesn't always get what you want. You can configure that, though.

OZO
Premium
join:2003-01-17
kudos:2

1 edit
Do you think indexing does something other, than "beating the disk to hell reading every file"? Or may be you know some other way to get info from a file without reading it?

Indexing is a common exchange between speed and size. With indexing you get better speed and loose your disk space. And the bigger HD size you have in your posession, the bigger space (and time) it takes to make that index database (obviously), which keeps info about all the files on that HD...

So, with indexing you trash your disk by "beating the disk to hell reading every file" that you're probably never going to search and your computer has to keep index database always updated (or it will keep deleted files, removed data from files, etc, making it useless) all the time, keeping your HD/CPU busy. So, pick up your poison...

Personally I prefer to use live search, but not the slow default windows search. I use two different (and very fast) tools - one to search a file by name, and another one to search data in files. Its two different tasks, thus two different tools.
--
Keep it simple, it'll become complex by itself...

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
Man, you love to quibble, don't you.

The point of indexing is that it gets done when you're not waiting for the results. That's the tradeoff: do work ahead of time so you don't have to wait when you need the results.

"Trashing your disk" supposes that using a disk somehow causes it to die sooner.. unless this is a popular typo for "thrashing". And I'd characterise the live search as "thrashing".

I personally use live search too - findstr from the command line for content, dir from the command line for naming. But my preferences don't mean that indexing is a technology that has no place.

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
There is nothing else one can do on their computer while search takes place? That's odd. I always have a bunch of things to do while searching. Computers do multitasking you know.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

Thaler
Premium
join:2004-02-02
Los Angeles, CA
kudos:3
reply to daveinpoway
Did people expect lifetime support or something?

If remaining XP users really don't want to plunk down the cash for a copy of Windows 7 (or 8, assuming it isn't a ME/Vista v2.0), then most any distro of Linux should have full hardware support by now for systems that shipped with XP on them.

Thaler
Premium
join:2004-02-02
Los Angeles, CA
reply to Dude111

Re:  

said by Dude111:

Win98se is even older but that doesnt mean IT ISNT GOOD!! (Quite the opposite.. 98se is one of the best ever released!)

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
join:2003-08-04
USA
kudos:13

1 recommendation

reply to daveinpoway
said by Mele20 :
There is nothing else one can do on their computer while search takes place? That's odd. I always have a bunch of things to do while searching. Computers do multitasking you know.
Some people ARE SO IMPAITENT its not funny,they cant wait 10 seconds..... ITS GOTTA BE INSTANT!!

pokesph
It Is Almost Fast
Premium
join:2001-06-25
Sacramento, CA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to daveinpoway

Re: End of Windows XP support means beginning of security...

There is STILL no viable upgrade path from XP to Win7!

Once this is addressed, then us XP holdouts may consider updating.

We'll take our chances after EOL
--
Webmaster - Steve
- - - - - - - - - - - -
»www.1-gb.net
»www.ppnstudio.com

caffeinator
Coming soon to a cup near you..
Premium
join:2005-01-16
WA, USA
kudos:4
said by pokesph:

A clean install is the only way: »windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind···indows-7

Who here doesn't do a nuke 'n pave when it's install time anyways...even on the same OS?

I did a clean install going from XPpro to Win7 x32 and did it again when going from Win7 x32 to x64 when my hardware warranted the change. Which was about two years on each version...it was time anyways IMHO.

I don't see what the big deal is for a proficient user to have to do a clean install for a new OS. I thought that was pretty much SOP.
--

My 9/11 Tribute..online since 9/14/01
Need an Avatar? Check out Wafen's Avatar Pages

pokesph
It Is Almost Fast
Premium
join:2001-06-25
Sacramento, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by caffeinator:

said by pokesph:

A clean install is the only way: »windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind···indows-7

Who here doesn't do a nuke 'n pave when it's install time anyways...even on the same OS?

I did a clean install going from XPpro to Win7 x32 and did it again when going from Win7 x32 to x64. Which was about two years on each version...it was time anyways IMHO.

I don't see what the big deal is for a proficient user to have to do a clean install for a new OS. I thought that was pretty much SOP.

problem with that is this a daily working pc.. all my apps and programs are here, some from 5 or 6 yrs ago and not easily replaced or re-installable.

in order for win7 to fully take hold for current xp users, a direct migration path needs to be provided.
--
Webmaster - Steve
- - - - - - - - - - - -
»www.1-gb.net
»www.ppnstudio.com

caffeinator
Premium
WA, USA
I understand that, in fact I use an XP VM to run a game from 1997 and apps that no longer work in Win7. But, I can do that faster in a Win7 VM with nearly the same hardware as I ran XP on back in 2009.

If you're talking about a corporate environment, well, that's different. Still, time marches on and MS doesn't care about the past that much. They are moving away from the desktop market and into cloud/mobile dev more and more as time passes.

But, if as a home user you have a dual-core with even 3GB of RAM, it will run better on Win7 than XP. It's so much more efficient it's ridiculous.

My old PIII's and P4's I used to run old stuff on collect dust now...there's just no point to them now that I can run any OS I want virtually in Win7 x64. Hell, I could even take my old Win2K box and turn it into a VHD if I still cared to.

"Time wounds all heels" it's been said, and it's especially true in the computing world.
--

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium
join:2000-01-13
reply to pokesph
It's not microsoft's fault you can't replace these applications, or even have the installation media available any longer. I agree it's easy enough to run xp in a vm for applications of this nature as long as they don't require direct access to hardware, which your vm may even allow. I have an XP vm, but I mostly use it for testing out software these days. I'll have to retire it soon as there is nothing I need to run that only runs on XP.
--
I distrust those people who know so well what god wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires- Susan B. Anthony
Yesterday we obeyed kings, and bent out necks before emperors. But today we kneel only to the truth- Kahlil G.

KodiacZiller
Premium
join:2008-09-04
reply to daveinpoway
These people can either spend a few dollars upgrading their systems or they can go with an alternative OS or they can quit complaining. Nothing to see here, move along.

caffeinator
Premium
WA, USA
Yeah. I'm a late-adopter type who reviled Vista and used XP until the bitter end, but it's really a no-brainer now.

I recently found a immaculate used laptop (built for Vista) on CL for my brother's homework: a 17" 1.6Ghz dual-core w/ 1.5GB of RAM and a 160GB HDD for $110. It came with a clean install of Win7 Home and it flies.

This is only a local Community College and a "basic skills" sort of class he's taking. Yet, they use MS Office 10 and Windows 7 machines.

The days of XP predominating in the educational and workforce arenas are pretty much over IMO.
--

therube

join:2004-11-11
Randallstown, MD
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to daveinpoway
When you posted the subject, it was truncated, leading to a misleading subject matter, IMO.

quote:
End of Windows XP support means beginning of security...
To which I say, BS!
quote:
End of Windows XP support era signals beginning of security nightmare

Which is another matter entirely.

whizkid3
Premium,MVM
join:2002-02-21
Queens, NY
kudos:9

1 recommendation

reply to daveinpoway
Hmmm...2 rock solid machines running XP SP3 here. Work great for browsing the web; running MS Office, etc. In fact, XP is what I am using right now, while I'm posting.

I'm running various flavors of Windows 7 on my other machines & at work. But see no need to upgrade either of these machines. For what? So, I can go out and dump a thousand plus to upgrade the 'old' operating system, motherboards, ram, graphics cards, etc? Basically, I would be throwing two perfectly good computers into the trash to buy two new ones. Why?

The big concern is that there are a lot of 'single-purpose' machines out there that don't need any upgrade what-so-ever. 'SCADA' was mentioned. The great majority of these machines sit in isolated shacks, that are only visited maybe once a year for maintenance or when things to wrong. They are not connected to the internet. They are not at risk of new viruses. And they work fine.

I'm not knocking Microsoft at all. There is no requirement for them to support what they consider to be a ten year old product. But, then again, many of these systems don't need to be upgraded. And in spite of the patches, I have to hand it to Microsoft. XP was one of the best OS they ever produced. Maybe better than Windows 7 - only time will tell.

lawrence171
Evilly Yours - Evilness

join:2001-12-24
Canada
reply to BlitzenZeus
I would not bet on that. If the software vendor decides to use the new APIs that Windows offers...
--
What I used to be I no longer am... God, why can't you freeze time for my sake?

carpetshark3
Premium
join:2004-02-12
Idledale, CO
Not planning on upgrading XP software. 2 computers offline anyway. Can't get security apps for laptop - hello, Linux

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
reply to daveinpoway
XP is what 12yrs old now? MS should completely terminate it and IE6 soon.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

daveinpoway
Premium
join:2006-07-03
Poway, CA
reply to therube
The reason that the title was truncated was that this site did not allow the full title to be posted (apparently there is a character limit to the title). So, I had to use 3 periods to substitute for the last word.

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
Yeah, it has always been that way all the years I have been here. Maybe because you were on a Mac it is different. On Windows you can't type pass the character limit so you know there is one. There have been several requests over the years for Justin to change it to allow longer titles. There must be some way around the limit because I sometimes see long titles in the forums here.
--

jabarnut
Light Years Away
Premium,MVM
join:2005-01-22
Galaxy M31

1 edit

1 recommendation

said by Mele20:

There have been several requests over the years for Justin to change it to allow longer titles.

I realize we're getting a bit off topic here, but there has to be some sort of limit. I think there is always a way to get the initial point across with the allowed number of characters.
Otherwise, we'd have topic headings like:
"End of Windows XP support means I just don't know what to do, like, should I stick with XP anyway or upgrade to a newer Windows OS, or buy a Mac or go with linux, or, I mean what do you guys think I should do because I'm really confused about this at the moment and can't make up my mind!"

What a mess that would be.
--
I had a life once.....now I have a Computer and a Modem.

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
I don't recall anyone wanting that sort of mess!

Of course, there should be a limit and that would mean somebody would think the limit was too short but I suspect currently the majority think it is too short not just a few. I think allowing 10-15 more characters would make it easier to have the full title show and yet not be a mess like your example.

I think I am recalling that the reason it is so short a limit is to keep the title on one line. I can't recall why it was objectionable to have it take two lines. Of course, it wouldn't look as nice.
--