Search similar:

uniqs
daveinpoway
Premium Member
join:2006-07-03
Poway, CA

daveinpoway

Premium Member

End of Windows XP support means beginning of security...

"Consumer, corporate and even SCADA systems could be at risk when Microsoft stops supporting Windows XP.":

»www.networkworld.com/com ··· 12-04-11

dandelion
MVM
join:2003-04-29
Germantown, TN

2 recommendations

dandelion

MVM

Actually, this is nothing new, MS seems to want to continually end support for one product in order to push their newest or whatever the going reason is for the time. Having read about Vista etc. I have decided to stay with XP until my machine stops, liking the ease of use as it is, however I do make sure all security programs including NIS, host file etc are updated.

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
join:2001-03-25
US

antdude

Premium Member

said by dandelion:

Actually, this is nothing new, MS seems to want to continually end support for one product in order to push their newest or whatever the going reason is for the time. Having read about Vista etc. I have decided to stay with XP until my machine stops, liking the ease of use as it is, however I do make sure all security programs including NIS, host file etc are updated.

Also, XP is very old now.
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member
join:2000-01-13

1 recommendation

BlitzenZeus to daveinpoway

Premium Member

to daveinpoway
They were already given an extension beyond their normal support period, and that was mostly due to the low adoption rate of Vista after XP hadn't been replaced in nearly half a decade. All I see is crying here, they were given a few more years to come to terms they are going to lose XP, you can't complain they were not given ample warning. The dropped support for 9x, and 2K also. The red letter final notice was sent years ago, and they ignored it.

XP is decade old operating system, and two generations behind, soon to be three after Win 8 is released estimated at the end of this year.

Besides many of the machines stuck with XP are single processor systems that couldn't play hd video smoothly if they tried, and 64-bit support sucks so most are stuck with 3GB or less of ram if the motherboard even supported that much.
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

dave to daveinpoway

Premium Member

to daveinpoway
Is there any example of software version N that is supported indefinitely after the release of versions N+1, N+2, N+3?

The article is a lot of blather about nothing.

Did anyone not know that MS would end support for XP some day? Was "the recent announcement" a surprise? Thus, I hardly think it "signals the end of an era", as the breathless prose of the "author" puts it.

jabarnut
Light Years Away
Premium Member
join:2005-01-22
Galaxy M31

2 recommendations

jabarnut to daveinpoway

Premium Member

to daveinpoway
I've never understood what all the fuss is about either.
Do people expect a lifetime of support for an operating system?
That said, I sure wish they still had support for my machine running Windows 3.11 for workgroups.
OZO
Premium Member
join:2003-01-17

1 recommendation

OZO to daveinpoway

Premium Member

to daveinpoway
Why do you need support for WXP?

There was no significant support, even at the times, when XP was the "latest and greatest" OS. They did not fix many bugs everyone asked them to fix. For example, many, many users complained that infotip may go behind the system tray. Was that bug fixed with m$'s full fledged support in place? No, not at all. Another one - big memory leak in Windows Explorer, in cases, it it opens shares on a remote storage... I'm sure you know more such examples too... Vendor knew about lot of bugs, but despite the full support, those bugs still in place even now.

So, why anyone needs so called "support". Take it as it works now and use it, or just move on.

jadinolf
I love you Fred
Premium Member
join:2005-07-09
Ojai, CA

2 recommendations

jadinolf to daveinpoway

Premium Member

to daveinpoway
I understand that it is time to end support but I hope that they will come up with a Service Pack 4 before they throw us to the wolves.

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium Member
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC

siljaline to daveinpoway

Premium Member

to daveinpoway
The oft-posted Life cycle fact sheet if this is what you were after.
Finger2208
join:2001-04-07
Lindale, TX

Finger2208 to daveinpoway

to daveinpoway
Hmm, Windows and security....seems like quite the oxymoron to me
WhyMe420
Premium Member
join:2009-04-06

2 edits

1 recommendation

WhyMe420 to daveinpoway

Premium Member

to daveinpoway
XP is old as heck. Lots of businesses already have Vista/7. XP is fast losing it's majority share, especially since the release of Windows 7. When XP's support ends it will have been the fourth-longest supported operating system in Microsoft history, behind Windows 2.1. People have had plenty of time to migrate/upgrade to a newer operating system. Windows 2000 was retired in mid-2010, 10 years after its release. XP is only one year younger than 2000.

This article is not only pointless FUD, but it is TWO years early. People still have TWO years to make a move in order to stay secure. XP will be nearly THIRTEEN years old by then. If they can't make a move before 2014 when XP will be retired, well, sucks to be them.

I mean, just imagine, what kind of machine would be running thirteen-year-old software back when XP was released? That would be Windows 2.1 or MS-DOS 3.0, running on i486. The difference between XP-era machines and Vista/7-era machines are about the same, for the most part.

Microsoft isn't obligated to keep spending time and resources on cheapskates that refuse to upgrade their machines.
Moffetts
join:2005-05-09
San Mateo, CA

Moffetts to daveinpoway

to daveinpoway
As for the issue of upgrading large orgnaizations/governments/schools to something beyond XP, if it hasn't been done already and/or it can't be done by 2014, one of three things is the issue.

1. Incompetent or apathetic IT staff.

2. Stubborn or equally incompetent software vendors (whaddaya mean 16 bit apps don't work in 64 bit windows!?)

3. Short-sighted and ultimately incompetent management that wont give the IT people the resources needed to do the upgrade.

djrobx
Premium Member
join:2000-05-31
Reno, NV

djrobx to daveinpoway

Premium Member

to daveinpoway
Just because vulnerabilities aren't patched, doesn't mean you can't still be protected from them. Taking the remote desktop bug, for example, most decent AV software has a firewall component that could detect and block that sort of malicious traffic before it even hits a vulnerable module.

There's also Firefox, Flash and Adobe Reader which can still get updated. I'd simply avoid using IE. All that said XP had a great run, but its time to move on.
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member
join:2000-01-13

BlitzenZeus

Premium Member

I think it would be safe to say that many 3rd party programs will still run fine on XP even after it's no longer officially supported as long as they are 32-bit, but other support might be lacking like directx 11/12 support for games unless they still supported DX 9. Some software still runs fine on 2K, but there are changes under the hood which are less obvious to the consumers between these major versions which prevent newer software from running. Maybe it's a new runtime/etc..

I will however be glad when IE 6 dies with XP, may that proprietary browser die a horrible death even if corporations don't like it, and their custom software no longer works. Businesses are required to protect their customers data, and they can't reliably do that on an outdated operating system. Computers which need to run custom software, and don't have the requirement to deal with sensitive data is acceptable, like computers that run manufacturing machines, they don't even necessarily need to be networked, otherwise put on their own subnet on the intranet.

VikingBob
Go Jets Go!
Premium Member
join:2004-06-05
MB Canada

VikingBob to Moffetts

Premium Member

to Moffetts
said by Moffetts:

As for the issue of upgrading large orgnaizations/governments/schools to something beyond XP, if it hasn't been done already and/or it can't be done by 2014, one of three things is the issue.

1. Incompetent or apathetic IT staff.

2. Stubborn or equally incompetent software vendors (whaddaya mean 16 bit apps don't work in 64 bit windows!?)

3. Short-sighted and ultimately incompetent management that wont give the IT people the resources needed to do the upgrade.

You missed a couple...
4. Government spending cuts - do more with less, including IT staff and $ for software. Although that could be considered covered by #3, if you consider politicians as "management." Mismanagement, maybe...

5. Old legacy software that needs to be updated/replaced with something else... ties into #4 above.

We're targeting next year as the date to move to Windows 7, and I don't look forward to it... We've been rolling out Office 2010 to 25,000 or more PCs, and it hasn't been issue-free. End user training? Available as online tutorials only, and everyone is too busy to bother with that. Hence the Help Desk (my workplace) gets plenty of calls that we never should have gotten in the first place.
Sandpipers
join:2007-11-12
San Francisco, CA

Sandpipers to WhyMe420

to WhyMe420
said by WhyMe420:

XP is old as heck. Lots of businesses already have Vista/7. XP is fast losing it's majority share, especially since the release of Windows 7.

But it still dominates the desktop market with almost 50% still running XP. That says a lot about an almost 13 year old system.

'http://hothardware.com/News/Windows-XP-Still-Dominates-the-Desktop-Whats-the-Hold-Up/'
WhyMe420
Premium Member
join:2009-04-06

WhyMe420

Premium Member

said by Sandpipers:

said by WhyMe420:

XP is old as heck. Lots of businesses already have Vista/7. XP is fast losing it's majority share, especially since the release of Windows 7.

But it still dominates the desktop market with almost 50% still running XP. That says a lot about an almost 13 year old system.

'http://hothardware.com/News/Windows-XP-Still-Dominates-the-Desktop-Whats-the-Hold-Up/'

It only has a 13% lead over Win 7. If you add Vista into the mix (which is essentially the same OS as 7,) then XP only has a 5% lead over the other two.

XP support
@comcast.net

XP support to daveinpoway

Anon

to daveinpoway
I hope they release a final XP SP3 disc with all the final updates, so we can still update Windows after a format.
69811448 (banned)
join:2006-12-31
Shubenacadie, NS

69811448 (banned) to daveinpoway

to daveinpoway
I bet half the poster's on this topic are still using xp.

Heck I still running windows 98se, windows 2000 pro, windows xp, xphome.

The web itself still the same, nothing wrong with my computer if it can handle the web still.

Not much into programer but do use few tools.

Not much into games but still can loadup old game. ghost recon

Still can download music, movies.

ltsnow
Premium Member
join:2006-04-08
Valdosta, GA

ltsnow to XP support

Premium Member

to XP support
said by XP support :

I hope they release a final XP SP3 disc with all the final updates, so we can still update Windows after a format.

That will never happen. Just do as I do and make your own:

»www.ryanvm.net/forum/

itsbry
join:2001-02-22
Fernandina Beach, FL

itsbry to 69811448

to 69811448
said by 69811448:

ghost recon

Quiet out here... too quiet.

Loved that game...
OZO
Premium Member

OZO to ltsnow

Premium Member

to ltsnow
It's indeed a very good place to make your own and fully customized version of Windows XP, which has all the latest updates in place.
48128935 (banned)
join:2006-05-27
Micmac, NS

48128935 (banned) to daveinpoway

to daveinpoway
autopatcher still works if you looking to get updates for windows

»www.autopatcher.com/foru ··· ownload/

ltsnow
Premium Member
Valdosta, GA

ltsnow

Premium Member

said by 48128935:

autopatcher still works if you looking to get updates for windows

»www.autopatcher.com/foru ··· ownload/

Yeah, that works, but for my money it's a lot neater and cleaner to have all the updates included in one installation disk.
48128935 (banned)
join:2006-05-27
Micmac, NS

48128935 (banned) to daveinpoway

to daveinpoway
Welll you can download everything for all of windows and then either zip the folders/files and then burn it on dvd and go from there.

Run autopatcher then select which windows you are using and then the type of updates. Once autopatcher is done downloading everything, exit the autopatcher then go to where you unzip it like C:\unzipped\apup and all your patchs are in different folders, folder for tools etc.

If you don't exit the autopatcher then it going to install everything update there is without rebooting.
OZO
Premium Member

OZO

Premium Member

With RyanVM tool you download one file, containing all updates and slipstream with base XP, producing installation disk or ISO. Then you just install from that disk and no any updates are required... What you have is completely clean install of OS. The tool allows you to run your customization scripts too and you may completely change your XP setup accordingly to your needs. Slipstreaming with this tool is fast and very effective.
markf
join:2008-01-24
Scarborough, ON

markf to jabarnut

to jabarnut
said by jabarnut:

That said, I sure wish they still had support for my machine running Windows 3.11 for workgroups.

I'm frustrated at the lack of updates for Windows 3.0 on my powerhouse 386SX running at a blazing 20Mhz with a whole 2MB RAM. That 120MB hard drive that the guy told me would be enough to last me forever still has lots of space. I'm not quite sure why I've been having such a hard time finding floppy disks lately - most stores have stopped stocking them. Does anyone know why they would do this? I've occasionally seen the newer 3.5" disks, but not the 5.25" disks I'm used to using. I mean isn't amazing how much data those disks can hold?

I can't get that new thing running on it...what do they call it? The Interweb? World Wide Net? I did put in an AOL disk and the computer made a bunch of screeching sounds and a few pictures popped up over the next few minutes, line by line....

Seriously, 2014 is still two years out and that date has been known for years. I can't imagine that many legacy XP machines are still out there, I know in my work place our incompetent IT support has downgraded Windows Vista and 7 capable machines to XP and that causes nothing but problems.

There are many reasons why I'd want to go back to the early 2000's when XP was released, but it's time to move on people.

ltsnow
Premium Member
Valdosta, GA

ltsnow

Premium Member

Your point is well taken, but there is one flaw in your sarcasm and that is that XP still works very well with up-to-date technology. Not everything, of course, but enough that I plan to stay with XP until I absolutely have to stop.
OZO
Premium Member

1 recommendation

OZO to markf

Premium Member

to markf
OS is just an environment to run my applications, nothing less and nothing more. Those applications actually do some useful stuff for me, not the OS. I need computer to do my tasks, not to run the latest OS (as Windows vendor tries to make us to believe). If I can do what I need in the old environment, why I have to change that environment every several years? Just to go with lemmings, who may want to brag among peers that they have the latest and greatest?

Not to mention that the environment includes new Windows Explorer, which is much worse IMO, then Windows Explorer that I have in WXP. So, when I move to the new environment (W7), I have to replace the new WE with its substitutes, offering functionality of the old WE. And, BTW, I don't need from OS transparent menu and transparent window frames with thick borders... Believe me, it's not what I want or need from OS. On the other side, I need efficiency (fast and reliable), small footprint (on all computer resources - memory CPU, HD storage, etc), and ease of use. All that I already have in WXP.

So again, if I can run my useful tasks in that old environment, why I have to pay my money to update it now?

While I've asked those questions here as a consumer, corporations may have similar points on their RoI too

ltsnow
Premium Member
Valdosta, GA

1 recommendation

ltsnow

Premium Member

Couldn't have said it better myself Ozo. I have spent years tinkering with the ins and outs of XP and I find it to be quite a miraculous OS. I have played a little with Windows 7 and it's OK, but I just love the simplicity, size, and functionality of XP.