J E F F4
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium Member
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4 to yyzlhr

Premium Member

to yyzlhr

Re: [Express] Any free way to get 70GB BW Allowance on SB5100?

said by yyzlhr :

I think you're referring to an upgrade to the Express package back in the day when it was simply 12mbps and 60gb of usage and then they shifted to the D3 requirement. During that time when Rogers originally shifted the Express package to the D3 platform, the old code that allowed it to be used with a D2 was grandfathered. All grandfathered codes for cable/internet/rhp are ALWAYS active and can be added by anyone who is willing to break policy. In this case, the code doesn't exist and would have to be created by IT.

That must have been it.

Here's one, since you seem to know: In other forums I mentioned that I am having issues the iPhone 4, I stupidly bought the extended warranty from the "Rogers" store, no idea it was just an authorized dealer..long story short, they'll fix it, out 2-4 weeks, I'll be left with a dumb flip phone, no e-mail, no calendar, nothing. I called Rogers to see if I could buy the $99 Curve (no contract) but got disconnected twice. (my iPhone is also dropping calls) Customer Relations cannot do anything, the next step is to talk to a manager there, after that OOP. Do I have to go all the way on this? Reports are that I *can* get the phone, I just want some confirmation if you are aware. Obviously, this is the wireless department. I simply was the Curve as my back-up while the iPhone is OOO, and to keep the Curve as such. (no plans on selling afterwards)

yyzlhr
@rogers.com

yyzlhr

Anon

The curve 9300 for $99 with no contract is only available with an activation. You can sign up for the Unlimited value plan and get the phone for $99 and just put in your 30 days notice to cancel right away. The unlimited value plan comes with the first month service for free and the activation fee is waived. Although unless your data plan is provisioned for BIS, the curve won't have email either as blackberry email requires a BIS plan and does not work with regular smartphone data plans.

J E F F4
Premium Member
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4

Premium Member

said by yyzlhr :

The curve 9300 for $99 with no contract is only available with an activation. You can sign up for the Unlimited value plan and get the phone for $99 and just put in your 30 days notice to cancel right away. The unlimited value plan comes with the first month service for free and the activation fee is waived. Although unless your data plan is provisioned for BIS, the curve won't have email either as blackberry email requires a BIS plan and does not work with regular smartphone data plans.

I see what you're saying. So I'd just have to pay the $10 or $20 cancellation fee...So these BlackBerries can't do data without BIS?

BTW: The first time I called about the $99 Curve, I suggested what you just said, he didn't want to deal with that mess, and sent me on over to Customer Relations (Retentions)....I got there, the sir started to look into it, and I got cut off. (phone dropped the call)...tried a second time, and the phone dropped call again. Been too busy to bother calling back.

Anyway, I usually find if I am courteous to the service representatives, 9 times out of 10 they're not assholes. I did get one that was really hard to deal with, she was like a firewall between me and her manager, she was hell bent on me not talking to her manager, so she did this and that, got my next bill, and it was worse than before, which lead me to some office in Montreal...she said she never saw an account so messed up in her life, although maybe she said that to make me feel special. She sorted things out, so it was good.

But, I digress, I'm thinking maybe the Curve isn't what I want, not if it's not going to be friendly. Perhaps RIM needs to think how their phones work.

yyzlhr
@rogers.com

yyzlhr

Anon

There is no cancellation fee as there is no contract. You just have to put in your 30 days notice. Most reps will be reluctant to do this for you if you tell them right off the bat that you're going to cancel right away as they won't get commission from the sale and they feel like they're wasting their time. Just go to a store pick up the phone and sign up for the plan and then go home and cancel.

I'm not saying that data will not work, you'll still have access to the web browser. However the email app will not work as it specifically relies on the RIM server to work. Although inconvenient, its the reason why RIM is able to offer true push email regardless of which email provider you use.

J E F F4
Premium Member
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4

Premium Member

Maybe I'll do that..if I can get data, I just can browse over to my accounts.

Still, RIM has excellent push on their PlayBook, which doesn't have BIS, you think they could do it on BB7?

How do I get the $35 activation fee waived? How do I get first month free? I'm a cheap bastard that needs a good phone while this other piece of s**t is being fixed.

Also, Rogers needs to tell their authorized dealers to stop making themselves look like they are "Rogers". Would never have bought this stupid extended warranty from these people...

yyzlhr
@rogers.com

yyzlhr

Anon

I don't think the native email client on the playbook offers push on all email service providers, which is the main differentiator of BB smartphones

The activation and first month of service is waived when you sign up for the unlimited value plan. It's done automatically.

J E F F4
Premium Member
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4

Premium Member

said by yyzlhr :

I don't think the native email client on the playbook offers push on all email service providers, which is the main differentiator of BB smartphones

The activation and first month of service is waived when you sign up for the unlimited value plan. It's done automatically.

Guess that's what I'll do... thanks for the info...