share rss forum feed

jack b
Gone Fishing
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-08
Cape Cod
kudos:1

[HomeSecurity] Does Anyone have it?

I just got a mailing for Xfinity Home, with free activation, free installation.

They offer some paid extra services: remote video and a thermostat.

Preferred home security plan #39.95/Mo, 3 year agreement, internet service required, ETF if you cancel before 3 years is up.
--
~Help Find a Cure for Cancer~
~Proud Member of Team Discovery ~

jaynick
lit up
Premium
join:2001-02-06
Sterling Heights, MI
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by jack b:

I just got a mailing for Xfinity Home, with free activation, free installation.

They offer some paid extra services: remote video and a thermostat.

Preferred home security plan #39.95/Mo, 3 year agreement, internet service required, ETF if you cancel before 3 years is up.

No, haven't seen that yet. Interesting.

jack b
Gone Fishing
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-08
Cape Cod
kudos:1

1 recommendation

forgot the link:

»www.comcast.com/homesecurity/ind···ect=true

jaynick
lit up
Premium
join:2001-02-06
Sterling Heights, MI
kudos:2
reply to jack b

Thanks.

JigglyWiggly

join:2009-07-12
Pleasanton, CA

how do you guys think this is compared to adt? I mean it can't be too bad as it has a cellular backup. I mean comcast internet goes out a lot more than a phone line.

robhouston

join:2001-09-15
Chester, NJ

I can't believe that Comcast has enough expertise to do a good job of installing sensors, etc.

If you want a security system, be sure to shop around for a system, particularly with a good local security company, or two. The national brands, like ADT, primarily want to sell you overpriced monitoring, and IMHO, their hardware offerings are not the best.

If you are only interested in monitoring, there are several that will work directly with homeowners, are low-cost, and also have cellular backup capabilities. Again IMHO, these are better options than ADT, Comcast, or other large, national companies with overpriced monitoring.

baineschile
2600 ways to live
Premium
join:2008-05-10
Sterling Heights, MI

I am sure they are subcontracted out on these. My best friend used to install secuirty systems, and he had to be fingerprinted and interviewed by the FBI before he was allowed to install them.

I think its a lot more regulated than you may assume.

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast
reply to jack b

I installed a security system (DSC Alexor) myself that I bought from an online retailer. I was originally going to have Comcast monitor it but I decided to have a local company monitor it as it is nearly $20 less per month to get monitored than Comcast's offering. I did have to switch my home phone from Comcast to Verizon Wireline to maxmize the reliability of the security system.

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast
reply to baineschile

said by baineschile:

I am sure they are subcontracted out on these. My best friend used to install secuirty systems, and he had to be fingerprinted and interviewed by the FBI before he was allowed to install them.

I think its a lot more regulated than you may assume.

Depends on the state. Most states require fire/burglar alarm installers to be trained and then licensed. Massachusetts requires installers to have a CORI (background check), take an educational course, and pass a licensing exam.

neil0311

join:2005-07-24
Marietta, GA
reply to jack b

Here is an anecdote to share...

I had two Comcast techs (I think one was a trainee) in my home to swap a DVR a few weeks ago. We were chatting, and the topic of the new home security service came up, and both techs told me on the down low not to jump in just yet. They advised me to wait for the bugs to get worked out.