share rss forum feed

FFH5
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5

[DVR] Comcast updates Xfinity TV app to control DVR better

»www.theverge.com/2012/4/11/29417···-control

Comcast yesterday pushed out an update to Xfinity TV for iOS that brings native DVR Manager functionality to the app. Viewing and editing scheduled recordings previously forced subscribers to leave the app and utilize Safari, so this is certainly a more convenient solution. Comcast notes that — much like the app's remote feature — DVR control is only available to customers with Motorola-branded settop boxes, so a trip to your local cable center might be in order if you've still got older hardware hooked up. That also means that it won't do much good for TiVo owners who were just granted Xfinity On Demand access.

The new DVR features work well on my system from an iPad.

mikedz4

join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV
what about android users?

scanpa
Premium
join:2006-09-06
Lebanon, PA
reply to FFH5
The Android app. updated today about 4pm, at least it did for me.. LOL YMMV
Expand your moderator at work

TiredRetired

join:2012-04-11
East Montpelier, VT
reply to FFH5

Re: [DVR] Comcast updates Xfinity TV app to control DVR better

Now if only they would get this up and running for the red headed step child portion of Comcast (SA/Cisco areas) maybe the rest of us would be able to enjoy it.

lupus

join:2001-08-01
Bellevue, WA
reply to FFH5
I've been very impressed with the Xfinity app. I wish they could apply the same UI experiance to their guide on my Motorola DVR.

mikedz4

join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·Verizon Online DSL
·Comcast
yup same here. Remember cisco areas get the new guide first then us motorola users even though we've had this guide for over 5 years now. Sure their have been additons and new features BUT the interface has been the same for 5 years.
It's like running windows xp. Sure there are updates but the user interface is the same as when you bought it.

egeek84
Premium
join:2011-07-28
Livermore, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to lupus
said by lupus:

I've been very impressed with the Xfinity app. I wish they could apply the same UI experiance to their guide on my Motorola DVR.

exactly. im pleased too but can you imagine how awesome the guide would look if it had this design?

Russ6

join:2011-03-17
Houston, TX
kudos:1
reply to mikedz4
said by mikedz4:

yup same here. Remember cisco areas get the new guide first then us motorola users even though we've had this guide for over 5 years now. Sure their have been additons and new features BUT the interface has been the same for 5 years.
It's like running windows xp. Sure there are updates but the user interface is the same as when you bought it.

The Cisco areas are running a Motorola A25 equivalent guide (S25) and many Cisco areas still don't have AnyRoom DVR functionality. The S25 guide is worse than the SARA guide that it replaced with several features no longer supported. There were no updates to the SARA guide for 4 years. On-Screen Guide 2.0 is only on the Cisco RNG 200-N with AnyRoom DVR functionality.
--
SA 8300 HD DVRs with Patched S25 Guide
Links:
'S25 Guide Blog' 'Schedule' 'Info' 'Patch Thread'

TiredRetired

East Montpelier, VT
If it is only on the 200N than how will they roll out the guide? Who has a 200N if the any room DVR functionality is not even active. Kind of a catch 22 I would say. Will they roll out the two together?

What about those of us running a regular 200? Are we stuck with the old guide forever? That is not what I was led to believe in speaking with Comcast today.

Russ6

Houston, TX
said by TiredRetired:

If it is only on the 200N than how will they roll out the guide? Who has a 200N if the any room DVR functionality is not even active. Kind of a catch 22 I would say. Will they roll out the two together?

What about those of us running a regular 200? Are we stuck with the old guide forever? That is not what I was led to believe in speaking with Comcast today.

In the SA/Cisco areas, Comcast is starting to roll out the AnyRoom DVR functionality. It requires a Cisco RNG 200-N DVR. Also, the AnyRoom DVR functionality requires On-Screen Guide 2.0. So, currently in the SA/Cisco areas AnyRoom DVR functionality and On-Screen Guide 2.0 are being rolled out together.

In the future, the On-Screen Guide 2.0 will be downloaded to all Cisco RNG STBs and the Motorola STBs that can use it. Comcast hasn't provided a projected date for when this will start.

Comcast has also released the Cisco RNG 200-N DVR without the AnyRoom DVR functionality. It uses the S25 guide. The advantage of the Cisco RNG 200-N DVR is that it has a 500 GB drive.
--
Links:

TiredRetired

East Montpelier, VT
Thanx. The rep did not clarify all this other than to say my RNG200 will get the guide update this summer. I very well may upgrade to the 200N when it is available for both the any room functionality and the 500GB.

Russ6

Houston, TX

1 edit
said by TiredRetired:

Thanx. The rep did not clarify all this other than to say my RNG200 will get the guide update this summer. I very well may upgrade to the 200N when it is available for both the any room functionality and the 500GB.

Just to be clear. The guide update this summer is to catch the SA/Cisco areas up to the equivalent Motorola A28 guide functionality. It is not On-Screen Guide 2.0.

Please click the following link for more information:
»Re: [STB] Comcast Interactive TVs Instant Info Widgets?

--
Links:

FifthE1ement
Tech Nut

join:2005-03-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL
reply to scanpa
said by scanpa:

Everyone don't listen to him. Neither Comcast app on Android updated today. They still force out to your default browser to manage DVR recordings. Ahhhhhh.... A new guide.... I can dream... LOL

5TH
--
"The relationship between what we see and what we know is never settled..."

owlyn
Premium,MVM
join:2004-06-05
Newtown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by FifthE1ement:

said by scanpa:

Everyone don't listen to him. Neither Comcast app on Android updated today. They still force out to your default browser to manage DVR recordings. Ahhhhhh.... A new guide.... I can dream... LOL

5TH

Just to be clear, the iOS version updated on 4/12.

FifthE1ement
Tech Nut

Fort Lauderdale, FL
said by owlyn:

said by FifthE1ement:

said by scanpa:

5TH

Just to be clear, the iOS version updated on 4/12.

Yes, iOS not Android. Android has two separate Xfinity apps. One for email, phone, DVR, etc and then one just for TV guide and DVR features. Neither was updated yesterday or today (so far).

5th
--

telcodad
Premium
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:15

1 edit
FYI - Just saw this announcement in the Comcast Help and Support Forum about Comcast launching the Xfinity TV Player App for Android today: »forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-···/1292871

Edit: Also an article on Engadget about it: »www.engadget.com/2012/05/25/comc···android/

FifthE1ement
Tech Nut

Fort Lauderdale, FL
said by telcodad:

FYI - Just saw this announcement in the Comcast Help and Support Forum about Comcast launching the Xfinity TV Player App for Android today: »forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-···/1292871

Edit: Also an article on Engadget about it: »www.engadget.com/2012/05/25/comc···android/

Thanks for the heads up. It seems to work good on my OG EVO but it did freeze the app once. I'll put it on my new EVO LTE and see how it works on that in a few minutes.

Only bad thing is that this app seems to be missing a lot of the OnDemand content from Comcast online and on your TV? Almost all locals such as ABC, CBS, FOX are all gone but there is NBC and two shows but who watches NBC for anything other than Grimm, lol? Content is really lacking but it's a start.

Now if Comcast would ever allow HBOGo on Samsung Smart TV's and Roku!? Lol!

5th
--