uniqs
share rss forum feed

mromero
Premium
join:2000-12-07
The O.C.
kudos:1

[NBA] DWade:"Players should be paid to play for USA"

"It's a lot of things you do for the Olympics -- a lot of jerseys you sell," Wade said after the Heat's practice on Wednesday in advance of Thursday's game against Chicago. "We play the whole summer. I do think guys should be compensated. Just like I think college players should be compensated as well. Unfortunately, it's not there. But I think it should be something, you know, there for it."

»espn.go.com/nba/truehoop/miamihe···pensated

KeepOnRockin
Music Lover Forever
Premium
join:2002-11-08
Beaverton, OR

Re: [NBA] DWade:"Players should be paid to play for USA&quo

Though I'm not talking about NBA salaries, I do agree college players should get some cut of the money the team/franchise brings in.

College ball is big business.

btB

@rr.com
reply to mromero
I would have more sympathy if he was competing in a minor sport where the athletes do not earn much money. Would a few thousand or whatever be anything more than chump-change for him? Doubt it.

On the other hand if playing in international competition is too physically demanding, then he/whomever should just pass on the opportunity. A week after the Olympics, nobody will have even remembered what happened during those basketball games anyway.

footballdude
Premium
join:2002-08-13
Imperial, MO
reply to mromero
The communist countries pay their athletes and then pretend they are all amateurs. The Olympic committee will ruthlessly sue anyone that uses the name "Olympic" or uses the rings symbol without paying for the priviledge. If the point of the Olympics is to gather the best athletes in the world, then what does it matter if someone is getting paid to compete?
--
Concentrated power has always been the enemy of liberty - Ronald Reagan

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21

1 recommendation

reply to mromero
I'd be happier if they didn't have players from pro leagues in the olympics at all, in any discipline.

Especially from the top of the food chain leagues like the NBA.

The Dv8or
Just call me Dong Suck Oh, M.D.
Premium
join:2001-08-09
Denver, CO
said by HiVolt:

I'd be happier if they didn't have players from pro leagues in the olympics at all, in any discipline.

Especially from the top of the food chain leagues like the NBA.

What the hell is the point, then, if you're going to ban the best players of certain sports? The idea of the Olympics is to showcase the best of the best athletes in competition.
--
You're so vain... I bet you think this post is about you.

I AM
Premium
join:2010-04-11
Ephrata, PA
kudos:4
Let them juice!

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to The Dv8or
said by The Dv8or:

What the hell is the point, then, if you're going to ban the best players of certain sports? The idea of the Olympics is to showcase the best of the best athletes in competition.

But with the case of the NBA in the olympics, it's usually not even close. I think they only missed once (in Athens), and I think because they were too cocky and not prepared, thinking they can just win out because the competition was inferior...

In the other olympics, I believe it wasn't even close. The 1992 Dream Team annihilated the competition.
--
GO BLUE JAYS!

Crazyf00L
Glorified Version of a Pellet Gun

join:2002-11-04
Coudersport, PA
reply to mromero
It's easy

Olympic committee "Mr. Wade would you like to play in the Olympic games?"

Mr. Wade "No thank you."

I thought it was an honor thing to go and represent your country in the Olympic games...
--
"The duty of youth is to challenge corruption."
~ Kurt Cobain

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
said by Crazyf00L:

I thought it was an honor thing to go and represent your country in the Olympic games...

NBA players & honor? LOL...

It's a culture of selfish rich boys that look and act like common street thugs, which is worse in some cases because the money they've got.
--
GO BLUE JAYS!

btB

@rr.com
reply to Crazyf00L
said by Crazyf00L:

It's easy

Olympic committee "Mr. Wade would you like to play in the Olympic games?"

Mr. Wade "No thank you."

It should have gone like this instead:

Mr. Wade: "No thank you. I appreciate the selection and was proud to play for this country in the past 2 Olympics. I think it's time to let the other players have the chance of experiencing the joys of representing the United States. Plus, I am getting older and do not think it is fair to the great fans of Miami if I am not 100% physically ready for the next NBA season."

Seriously though. If Wade does not want to go, let me off the team. I am sure there are plenty of people who would gladly go in his place. It is not like anybody cares what happens in basketball during the Olympics.

shaner
Premium
join:2000-10-04
Calgary, AB
reply to footballdude
said by footballdude:

The communist countries pay their athletes and then pretend they are all amateurs.

Guess what....every nation "pays" their Olympic amateurs. There's no way top amateur athletes could eat or survive without government assistance.

Admittedly, the Soviets were the best at it by putting their best hockey players in the army, giving them an officer's rank, and claiming they were soldiers. But in reality, the vast majority of Olympic medals are government subsidized in one way or another.
--
I'm a man, but I can change. If I have to. I guess.

»shaner38.blogspot.com/

FFH5
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5
reply to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

said by Crazyf00L:

NBA players & honor? LOL...

It's a culture of selfish rich boys that look and act like common street thugs, which is worse in some cases because the money they've got.

+1.

And the Olympics is a joke anyway. It was meant to bring amateurs together when restarted in 1896 and was supposed to be a way to have nations get together in a peaceful non-political forum. How has that worked out? It is supremely political and nationalistic and most sports are now represented by highly paid athletes who care more about advertising deals than competing for the glory of it.

And the cost to put them on bankrupts most cities holding them due to the security expenditures to protect against terrorists.

If they ended the Olympics now and never restarted them, most people wouldn't miss it one bit.

mromero
Premium
join:2000-12-07
The O.C.
reply to mromero
looks like Wade is backing off his original comments...

»espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/78055···olympics

footballdude
Premium
join:2002-08-13
Imperial, MO
reply to FFH5
said by FFH5:

If they ended the Olympics now and never restarted them, most people wouldn't miss it one bit.

Most sports fans probably wouldn't care so much, but people like my wife will watch twelve straight hours of figure skating and gymnastics in the Olympics. I think that's the type that's driving up the ratings, at least in the US.
--
Concentrated power has always been the enemy of liberty - Ronald Reagan

I AM
Premium
Ephrata, PA
reply to mromero
In the end...I blame Lebron for all this.

AB
Premium
join:2006-04-04
Leesburg, VA
kudos:3
reply to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

said by The Dv8or:

But with the case of the NBA in the olympics, it's usually not even close. I think they only missed once (in Athens), and I think because they were too cocky and not prepared, thinking they can just win out because the competition was inferior...

In the other olympics, I believe it wasn't even close. The 1992 Dream Team annihilated the competition.

The '72 Olympics were the first time the U.S. team didn't win the gold medal in basketball, and that didn't sit at all well with the powers that be of the U.S. Olympic Committee. Thus began the push to eliminate any prohibitions on U.S. pro athletes to compete for God and Country in all sports.
By the 1980s, all prohibitions had been removed.

The U.S. was of course never meant for silver.

I AM
Premium
Ephrata, PA
Until Allen Iverson and Stephen Marbury led a squad into Bronze?

Crazyf00L
Glorified Version of a Pellet Gun

join:2002-11-04
Coudersport, PA
reply to footballdude
Curling changed my life

Alcohol
Premium
join:2003-05-26
Climax, MI
reply to mromero
Yeah, the NBA players selected for the Olympics need the extra cash.
--
I found the key to success but somebody changed the lock.

jmn1207
Premium
join:2000-07-19
Ashburn, VA
reply to mromero
The Olympic games make a ton of money for somebody, otherwise they would have been ended long ago and no city would bid on a chance to host.

It's fortunate for some of the contestants to have the luxury of making a great living competing in an event that is included in the Olympic games. That said, why shouldn't all of the participates involved get their fair share of the money that is generated by these games?

This idea of the talent being denied any monetary compensation in the guise of some ethical justification is absolutely ridiculous.

maximus_808
Proud Veteran
Premium
join:2001-08-27
Troutdale, OR
reply to mromero
Having served 10 years in the navy I am offended by this millionaire wanting to be paid to represent his country in the Olympics.
I will rout against the heat as long as he is a part of that team and I prefer he doesn't represent my country.
--
"I find your lack of faith disturbing" D.Vader Episode IV

chipper

join:2012-05-28
Beverly Hills, CA
reply to mromero
Olympics is not a joke. it's a sports meet. don't blame the olympics for what businessmen are doing to milk it. those are two different things.

that's wade. it's wade being wade.