Search similar:

uniqs
Gumberculese
join:2005-03-22
Etobicoke, ON

Gumberculese

Nigerian Letter in the Mail

Hi all,
Received a letter in the mail today about collecting an inheritance from Spain. Scam, yes I know. I think I have a theory on how they got my name and home address, and who did it.

About a week ago I was in my kitchen and saw a lady about mid 50s, blond hair pinned back, start to walk up to my front door. Thinking she was going to knock and ask about what ever, I go put on some clothing to make myself somewhat presentable. That takes me about a minute to get ready and back to the front door. Well there was no knock the whole time, so I open the door to collect my mail, and to my surprise, there she is standing at the door, off to the side. She tells me she was just putting a Jehovah Witness pamphlet in my mailbox, points it out, and then walks away. Why it took her a full minute to walk 20ft to the door and put the pamphlet in my mailbox struck me as strange. She was carrying one of them black fold up clip boards and a pen. I'm beginning to think she was really there because she was writing down my name and home address that she got from looking at one of the letters in my mailbox delivered by the mail carrier. (yes I realize she could get my home addy no probs, but not the name of the occupant). With that info I have the feeling she goes home and mails out the Scammer letter with the data collected. I never saw her writing down any info tho.

Anyway, this is just a thought I had today after getting the scammer letter. Maybe others have also gotten this letter recently and recognize my description of the lady. Would someone collecting data this way be breaking any laws? Would like to hear others thoughts on this type of thing.
Thanks

/me removes tinfoil hat now...hehe

Edit: This occurred in the QEW + 427 area of Toronto

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

Yeah, i have gotten such letters twice. Hand written address and stuff on the envelope, even hand signed cheezy copy of some spanish lottery form...

Funny stuff.

lugnut
@look.ca

lugnut to Gumberculese

Anon

to Gumberculese
One of the (few) advantages of having my mail delivered to a Canada Post superbox...
PX Eliezer704
Premium Member
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River

PX Eliezer704 to Gumberculese

Premium Member

to Gumberculese
said by Gumberculese:

yes I realize she could get my home addy no probs, but not the name of the occupant).

But why would they bother to do that?

Why not just use the phone book (white pages), print or online?

Now, you yourself might not be listed, but millions of people are so why would they be so inefficient as to go door-to-door?

I just can't figure it out.

Ian1
Premium Member
join:2002-06-18
ON

Ian1 to Gumberculese

Premium Member

to Gumberculese
Not all of these things are scams.

I got an e-mail from a Nigerian oil engineer. Seems a buddy of his got into legal trouble after working with a dictator and had some money siphoned off into an account.

At first I thought it was a scam, but he sent me ID in an e-mail and a phone number to call. Seems legit. Has taken a lot longer than I originally thought, and I've had to send quite a few thousands in bribe money to grease the skids, but my 30% cut of $28 million will be all worth it.
jfmezei
Premium Member
join:2007-01-03
Pointe-Claire, QC

jfmezei

Premium Member

said by Ian1:

At first I thought it was a scam, but he sent me ID in an e-mail and a phone number to call. Seems legit. Has taken a lot longer than I originally thought, and I've had to send quite a few thousands in bribe money to grease the skids, but my 30% cut of $28 million will be all worth it.

Hey ! Wait a minute here. I am the one who made those arrangements and have been promised the 30% cut of that $28 million.

I'll have to call to protest. I was told I was the only one they had contacted wih this exclusive offer.
Gumberculese
join:2005-03-22
Etobicoke, ON

Gumberculese to PX Eliezer704

to PX Eliezer704
said by PX Eliezer704:

But why would they bother to do that?

Why not just use the phone book (white pages), print or online?

I couldn't give a definate answer as to why... but this neighbourhood has a lot of seniors in it. Maybe that is who they like to target with this type of scam.

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium Member
join:2005-03-12

Wolfie00 to Gumberculese

Premium Member

to Gumberculese
I feel deprived. I've never received an offer of vast Nigerian wealth by either email or snail mail, although for the former I can blame my now-highly-tuned spam filter.

Maybe someday, my [Nigerian] prince will come!

Clipper
join:2002-05-23
Stoney Creek, ON

Clipper to Ian1

to Ian1
said by Ian1:

Not all of these things are scams.

I got an e-mail from a Nigerian oil engineer. Seems a buddy of his got into legal trouble after working with a dictator and had some money siphoned off into an account.

You got scammed.

I'm getting 50% of 30 million and it only cost $500.

Ian1
Premium Member
join:2002-06-18
ON

Ian1 to Gumberculese

Premium Member

to Gumberculese
Some true comedy can be had by stringing these people along.

»www.419eater.com/html/jo ··· eboh.htm

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to Gumberculese

Premium Member

to Gumberculese
I used to get emails from US Soldiers who had found Saddam's gold and needed my help to get it out of the country.
Tig
join:2006-06-29
Carrying Place, ON

Tig to Gumberculese

to Gumberculese
I've never heard of the JW's not knocking and wanting to shoot the breeze for a bit. Generally they are not alone. Was she very well dressed, high heels and all? Where did she go next?
Call your local JW's and ask about the incident and the pamphlet.

CanadianRip
join:2009-07-15
Oakville, ON

CanadianRip to elwoodblues

to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

I used to get emails from US Soldiers who had found Saddam's gold and needed my help to get it out of the country.

Keep your filthy hands off my gold. I'm already working with another soldier myself to claim it.
peterboro (banned)
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned) to Gumberculese

to Gumberculese
Why a clipboard and a pen when a pic from a cell phone camera will do.

neko
All Hail Canada
Premium Member
join:2006-08-11
Canada

neko to CanadianRip

Premium Member

to CanadianRip
said by CanadianRip:

said by elwoodblues:

Keep your filthy hands off my gold. I'm already working with another soldier myself to claim it.

You bastard, CanadianRip! I can't believe you would try to swindle me out of my what's rightfully mine.

You wont see a lick of that gold, because I am dealing directly with the commander of the platoon who found the loot.

I have assurances. Promises were made...

[cackles]Ah Ha! It's mine, All mine. mine I tell you[/cackles]

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to peterboro

Premium Member

to peterboro
said by peterboro:

Why a clipboard and a pen when a pic from a cell phone camera will do.

To obvious, a clipboard and pen make it look more "official".
elwoodblues

elwoodblues to neko

Premium Member

to neko
F both you and CanadianRIP I just got a note from the General of the Platoon, he's got it all lined up. I just need to send him my bank account info so he can wire some cash up front in good faith.