openbox9
Premium Member
join:2004-01-26

1 recommendation

openbox9 to ArrayList

Premium Member

to ArrayList

Re: $1500?

Some do. Others try to point out some of the facts surrounding various opinions thrown around here.
Expand your moderator at work
BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT

BiggA to Anon

Premium Member

to Anon

Re: $1500?

Excuse me, I am not doubting that it costs $1500, or that it made $3.25 in a year. I am simply making commentary on that. So don't go around blaming me for saying things that I clearly and obviously didn't say.
elray
join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA

1 recommendation

elray to nothing00

to nothing00
said by nothing00:

Checking the coin box? How many trips out there did they make to collect $3.35 in change? Wouldn't you *know* how much money was in a coin box as well and schedule your trips accordingly? (OK, maybe this technology is too old for something like that.)

But ~$1500 to maintain is definitely the reason large corporations don't pay taxes. There's no way this actually cost them this much but I'm sure that's what they're writing off as an expense thanks to creative accounting and favorable tax loopholes.

Large corporations do pay taxes. Not that they should.

You obviously have never been required to maintain a public facility, be it a drinking fountain, restroom, bus shelter, trash receptacle, parking, lighting, fire protection, alarms, vending machines, or payphones. Public / commons facilities are always vandalized, and they cost real money to repair or replace.
patcat88
join:2002-04-05
Jamaica, NY

patcat88 to ArrayList

to ArrayList
They probably are billing the entire shift of the tech that day to check on the phone, at their retail tariffed "special construction" rate of $120 per hour, minimum 4 hours.
Desdinova
Premium Member
join:2003-01-26
Gaithersburg, MD

Desdinova to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5
Sorry, I should have been clearer. I was referring to the overall perceptions of the telco industry (in what I perceive to be most folks' opinion) and not K & M Telephone Company specifically. I have no specific reason to accuse them; it's simply a kneejerk reaction to all representatives of the telco industry. Kinda like how the majority of people get nervous when they see a cop in their rear view mirror; you'll go into a defensive mode (check speed, maybe do a quick mental inventory of how they've been driving over the past few miles to think if they might have done anything to attract their attention).

But I still think their position would be more sympathetic if they could have tossed in those numbers when they mentioned the categories of cost.
Desdinova

Desdinova to openbox9

Premium Member

to openbox9
True. But that defeats the fun of being paranoid and seeing conspiracies everywhere.

Scatcatpdx
Fur It Up
join:2007-06-22
Portland, OR

Scatcatpdx to thegeek

to thegeek
Union wages, transportation and equipment, usage and maintenance cost, taxes.. etc..

Smith6612
MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
·Charter
Ubee EU2251
Ubiquiti UAP-IW-HD
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD

Smith6612 to FFH5

MVM

to FFH5
Nailed it. I've seen many Payphones that were taken out of service smashed by someone looking for money days after the phone stopped working and before the Telephone company came out to collect it. See the same thing in many locations if the phones haven't been removed. Someone just comes by and smashes the phone to try to get the cash. Then of course there are those who smash the pay phones to get back at Telephone companies.
BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT

BiggA

Premium Member

They could also just get vandalized or hit by a car or something. I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot more than that in damage in a year to one of those things.

nothing00
join:2001-06-10
Centereach, NY

1 recommendation

nothing00 to elray

to elray
Large corporations do pay taxes? Well, yeah, they file taxes. They don't pay nearly what they should having had loopholes written into the tax code for themselves. Take GE who "pays taxes" to the tune of $0 and in fact receives government money (that would be money that you and I pay in taxes to go directly to their shareholder's pockets) as subsidies.

But sure, they shouldn't pay taxes. Because they're the job creators. All of the low labor cost countries they're shipping jobs off to. And we pay them to do it. Wonderful.

As for the phone booth vandalism. Let's see the bill before assuming anything OK?

ScottMo
Once in a Lifetime
MVM
join:2000-12-15
New York, NY

ScottMo to thegeek

MVM

to thegeek
My company has several payphones (for various reasons). We pay about $92 per month to have them (per phone). Works out to about $1100 per phone per year. I think we get something like $10-12 per year in revenue, mostly from one phone.