tired_runner
Premium Member
join:2000-08-25
CT
·Frontier FiberOp..

tired_runner

Premium Member

Anyone here work for Chrysler?

I bought a used Jeep three months ago and the vehicle only came with one key. This car uses the grey key which means the car won't run unless the key is programmed to the car.

I'm leery of losing the sole key to this vehicle and wanted to purchase a second one but the bastards at Chrysler want to charge $180 for this.

Anyone here can hook me up for less? Feel free to PM me directly.

TIA

MEDIAN2k3
Your Ad Here
Premium Member
join:2002-12-04
Howard Beach, NY

MEDIAN2k3

Premium Member

You should donate your civic to me
tired_runner
Premium Member
CT

tired_runner

Premium Member

All I'm waiting for is to find someone willing to repaint my Civic for a grand including body work and she's getting put back on the road.

MEDIAN2k3
Your Ad Here
Premium Member
Howard Beach, NY

MEDIAN2k3 to tired_runner

Premium Member

to tired_runner
That shouldn't be to hard to procure, good luck
tired_runner
Premium Member
CT

tired_runner

Premium Member

You know anyone?

MEDIAN2k3
Your Ad Here
Premium Member
Howard Beach, NY

Premium Member

to tired_runner
How bad is the body?
tired_runner
Premium Member
CT
·Frontier FiberOp..

tired_runner

Premium Member

It's not terrible but it could use some work.

MEDIAN2k3
Your Ad Here
Premium Member
Howard Beach, NY

Premium Member

to tired_runner
Put some plates on it, take it to any body shop around you, the body is not bad at all man.

For a grand I cant see anyone saying no to easy money.
tired_runner
Premium Member
CT
·Frontier FiberOp..

tired_runner

Premium Member

I sent these same pix to a shop not far from me. Those dumb asses wanted two grand.

Ideally I wanted to get someone to give me a quote with these pix to avoid the hassle of paying for plates just to have it repainted. Once it's repainted, the plates are coming off the Jeep and getting put on the Civic.

MEDIAN2k3
Your Ad Here
Premium Member
Howard Beach, NY

Premium Member

to tired_runner
Ahh I see, did you try any of the shops on Blondell Ave?

Tons of shops there.

It might be easier just to take the plates off the Jeep now put them on the civic then go in person with the car, this usually ends up being the easier case.

You could always rent a car in the interim while the civ's in the shop?

Best of luck!
tired_runner
Premium Member
CT

tired_runner

Premium Member

Yea, I know about those. I need to ask around there. I'll probably show up with my laptop and show them the pix and see what they say.

Thanks

PCInTech
keeping art alive since 1953
Premium Member
join:2004-06-07
Massena, NY

PCInTech to tired_runner

Premium Member

to tired_runner
I feel your pain about the key and am going through the same thing here this week. Wife and I just picked up a used PT Cruiser with only one key. Our Chrysler dealership wants $135. for a new key, so I started doing some research on this in PT Cruiser forums. As a result, I have a transponder key blank coming in the mail for about $8.00. My local hardware store will charge me $2.00 to cut the key, but I still have to take it to the dealership to have it programmed for $34.00. So, if all goes well, that's less than half of what Chrysler wanted. Alternately, the hardware store was willing to sell me the correct key for $25.00, then I would still have to spring for the programming.

What's hysterical to me, is that this car has no power door locks, no remote entry, but yet requires a special key? Ridiculous. I think it's a scam. The hardware store DID cut me a key that will only unlock the doors, trunk and glove compartment, which is a good thing to have in case of a lockout. $2.00 for that. WARNING: DO NOT try to start the car with a "plain" key! You may disable the ignition and then have to pay Chrysler to tow the car in and reprogram it.

By the way, you might want to shop around different Chrysler dealerships, I called 3 in our area and got 3 different prices. The highest was about like your quote.
tired_runner
Premium Member
CT
·Frontier FiberOp..

1 recommendation

tired_runner

Premium Member

You likely have the same Sentry key as I do, the grey one.

I tried two Chrysler dealers in my area. One said $180 + tax for key and programming, the other said $80 for key and $110 for programming but he'll do it for me for $100. I laughed at this "special price."

Which hardware store was willing to sell you the right key for $25? I'd be willing to do that instead. $25 + $80 programming = much less than $180 lol.

I'm tempted to go further upstate and see if the Chrysler dealers up there will at least program it for less, or outright do the whole shabang for less.
Dodge
Premium Member
join:2002-11-27

Dodge to tired_runner

Premium Member

to tired_runner
In order to program the key you need a code from your car. You can get it from any Chrysler dealership by showing proof of ownership, and they can pull up the code based on the VIN. You may already have it, if the original owner left the car's paperwork in the car.

Then call a couple of locksmiths and find out if they can program / cut a proper key for you.

The last time I had to do it was about 5 years ago, so my information may be a little out of date, however the guy in Brooklyn DMV was able to do the whole thing and the price was reasonable.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

AVD to tired_runner

Premium Member

to tired_runner
that just looks like a New York car.
tired_runner
Premium Member
CT
·Frontier FiberOp..

tired_runner

Premium Member

said by AVD:

that just looks like a New York car.

Original owner registered it in Staten Island NY. I'm the second and last owner. Indeed, a New York car. lol
tired_runner

tired_runner to Dodge

Premium Member

to Dodge
said by Dodge:

You can get it from any Chrysler dealership by showing proof of ownership, and they can pull up the code based on the VIN. You may already have it, if the original owner left the car's paperwork in the car.

Interesting. Thanks for that info.

There's a hardware store not far from me. If they can cut and program the key for me, I'll try my luck getting the code from Chrysler. I have an ugly feeling they'll still sock me into the $80 to program.
tired_runner

1 recommendation

tired_runner to Dodge

Premium Member

to Dodge
said by Dodge:

Then call a couple of locksmiths and find out if they can program / cut a proper key for you.

You guys are genius. Webster Locksmith will cut key and program it for $85. I'm going tomorrow.

Thanks!

PCInTech
keeping art alive since 1953
Premium Member
join:2004-06-07
Massena, NY

PCInTech to tired_runner

Premium Member

to tired_runner
said by tired_runner:

You likely have the same Sentry key as I do, the grey one.

I tried two Chrysler dealers in my area. One said $180 + tax for key and programming, the other said $80 for key and $110 for programming but he'll do it for me for $100. I laughed at this "special price."

Which hardware store was willing to sell you the right key for $25? I'd be willing to do that instead. $25 + $80 programming = much less than $180 lol.

I'm tempted to go further upstate and see if the Chrysler dealers up there will at least program it for less, or outright do the whole shabang for less.

Yes, it's the Gray key. It was a True Value Hardware local franchise that would sell me the key and cut it. $80. for programming is just CRAZY! Our Chrysler dealership said $34.