uniqs

captokita
Premium Member
join:2005-02-22
Calabash, NC

captokita

Premium Member

[Anime] Spring 2012 season

Well, the spring season is underway. Time for the "What are you watching?" thread!

Nyarko-san: Another Crawling Chaos: Normal boy Mahiro Yasaka chased by monster - monster done in by girl Nyarlothotep in a bloody, bare-handed way, then introducing herself in true Sailor Moon fashion. That's just the opening! Then the opening song plays, you wish to kill yourself, and then you get back to the show. Typical elements of romantic comedy, with splashes of action, blood, violence, etc. Overall I enjoyed the first episode, even if the op/ed themes kinda suck.

Dusk Maiden of Amnesia: Imagine you're part of the paranormal activities club. You check out the ghost stories in your school. Imagine then if the president of said club IS a ghost, and not everyone can see her. The first episode takes us through two trips through the same thing, one where the paranormal things happen to Okonogi and she fails to notice. Then it replays showing the prez doing all the pranks. I don't know where this is going, but the first episode puts it on my watch list for now.

You and Me season 2: YES! I really liked this series the first time around, and so far through 2 episodes has me hooked again. Just your typical 5 guys hanging out in school and dealing with the things they deal with. Funny, emotional, and overall good. If you liked the first season, you will certainly like this. If you didn't like it the first time, then I can't help you.

Fate:Zero Season 2: Nice to see this back, and the action picks up where the last episode left off. The story seems to have several layers in it, and can get somewhat convoluted at times, but I like it.

Accel World: Imagine in the future, you're "plugged in" to a world net, where you exist as a separate self. Schools teach in this virtual world, and everyone in class flails their arms around moving their virtual textbooks around. Haruyuki is a small, fat kid, bullied by the badasses even virtually. When he enters the virtual world, he takes on the form of a little pig. He likes to play here by himself, so he won't be bullied, and feel he can excel at something. (squash-like game) Here he meets the student vice-president. She "links" with him, and teaches him "Brain burst" which allows users to move at 1000 times faster than real time. It's also apparently a VR fighting game. Interesting.

Sengoku Collection (Parallel Worlds Samurai): ANOTHER Nobunaga chick story? Ugh.... She dies in her world, and comes to ours, meets boy on scooter (head first from that height would at least kill HIM but hey) and then insert your "This is this, this is that" bit for adjusting to the current world. There are other there as well apparently. *yawn* maybe #2 will be better?

Medaka Box: Hey another in the line of "Help you with your problems" series. Medaka is a strong woman, strong willed as well as strong strength. She wins the school election with 98% even though she's a first year. She decides to create the "titular suggestion box" - where she promises to solve the student problems that come up. This episode follows the first job, cleaning up the riff-raff in the kendo club. Nothing "new" here, but I didn't mind it.

Ozma: Fans of Leji Matsumoto (Yamato/Harlock) like me will find dang near every character of his rehashed into this series. It's almost like a game. In the future, the seas have dried, vast oceans of sand cover the Earth. Naturally you can navigate through sand the same way you navigate in water..... Sam Coyne is looking for the Ozma, a sand whale, when he happens upon a blue-haired woman being chased by evil Captain Char Harlock. I WANT to like this, but the story just........

Kore wa Zombie Desuka? OF THE DEAD (season 2): This is the best one for me this season, as I really enjoyed the first season of it. Ayumu is a zombie, he's also a magical girl. He lives with a Necromancer Euclid, the magical girl genius Haruna, and the vampire ninja Seraphim. He shrivels up in the sunlight (he's a zombie!) and wants to keep the fact he's a zombie, and magical girl, away from the other students at school. He hears rumors about a pervert dressed in women's clothing running around town, and he knows they're talking about him. Enter monster.... Go watch.

Mysterious Girlfriend X: Ok, I put this one last because it's just so odd. Akira Tsubaki is your typical high school boy. He wants a girlfriend of course. Enter Mikoto Urabe, an odd girl with hair over her eyes that is prone to busting out laughing in class, sleeps through breaks, and doesn't say much. One day after school he wakes her in the classroom and she wakes up in a pool of drool. She leaves and he..... TASTES THE DROOL! You're sitting there saying "He's not gonna do that is he?" A few days later, Akira falls ill. Fever, etc. Mikoto goes to his house and asks if he tried her drool. Turns out, he's suffering from withdrawal, and she gives him some drool to fix him. Yeah, that's a new meaning to swapping spit, but damn. Haven't read the manga, but I'm tempted. Should be interesting, in an awkward "What the hell am I watching?" sort of way.

Finally, a bit of a "Did you see it" question. Last season in Ano Natsu de Matteru, did you notice what movie Ichika and Kaito went to see?

hitachi369
Embrace Your Rights
Premium Member
join:2001-10-03
Cincinnati, OH
(Software) pfSense
Switches Trash Bin
Ubiquiti UniFi AP

hitachi369

Premium Member

I am watching:

Space Brothers (Uchuu Kyoudai) I was on the fence for this series but watching the first episode I have fallen in love. Maybe it is because I have a brother or what but I am really enjoying it.

Eureka Seven AO I liked the first series so I think I will watch this, we will see how it pans out. I haven't watched any yet.

Sakamichi No Apollon I might watch this one, it is on the fence, I like the premise, but I dont know if I will enjoy the Jazz portion of the series. It will depend on what roll it plays in the series.

You and Me season 2 Prolly watch this, I started watching the series at the being of the week per the suggestion of the op, and I am really enjoying season one. Even though it appears rather Shôjo the story at least for me isn't leaning that way.

There was also a series Juangmoun or something, it was on the early lists but I see nothing of it now. I wanted to watch that too.
hitachi369

hitachi369

Premium Member

Sakamichi No Apollon I watched the first episode of this, and I enjoyed it. It has a different art style than the current shows, but its not distracting. The jazz so far just seems to be a plot device and not a crutch, we will see how episode two goes.

You and Me 2 Just a continuation of the first series, I am still enjoying it. Thank you captokita See Profile

Jormungand Watched the first episode, so far it is entertaining, its playing off as a mix of Full Metal Panic (less the mecha) and Black Lagoon. The only concern I have is I hope it doesn't go all death to the fat Americans. It is implied that Americans killed his family and that is the reason he is all I want to kill everyone, we shall see .

captokita
Premium Member
Calabash, NC

captokita

Premium Member

Well, the season is progressing. We were offline for a time. Anyone keeping up?

You and Me 2: This series continues to keep me entertained. This past week damn near had me teary-eyed at the end for Chizuru finally saying what he's been holding in. Friggin awesome episode.

Mysterious Girlfriend X: Having cheated and read the manga to current, I'm really loving the anime for it. Yeah, the whole drool thing is kinda gross, but still, the characters are done well, and there IS a point below the surface. My daughter's friend comes over on Sundays to watch it. He can't help himself. LOL!

Gundam AGE: Argh, I'm STILL watching this crap, 31 episodes in. Now we're onto the NEXT next generation. Flit is a grandfather now, and even though he swore to destroy ALL the Veda, he ain't done shit. Just like the first time. Go figure. I just can't stop watching it.

Fairy Tail: I didn't like the manga "7 year jump" and have fallen behind because of it, but the anime version isn't doing me any favors either. Some filler, some story. Just doesn't have the same intensity as before the "jump"

Kore Wa Zombie Desuka? 2: Now THIS I love. Series has been great thus far. Wasn't sure where they were going originally, but it's going great.

Fate:Zero s2: great action! Much better paced over the first season. Sure they had to set the stage story-wise before, but there wasn't enough action. So far more action and "Whoah!" moments.

Sure there are others I've missed, but I'll remember later.

hitachi369
Embrace Your Rights
Premium Member
join:2001-10-03
Cincinnati, OH
(Software) pfSense
Switches Trash Bin
Ubiquiti UniFi AP

hitachi369

Premium Member

You and Me 2 I agree with captokita See Profile the last episode was nice. I wish they would just make Shun Matsuoka gay, for me at least he is being presented as being gayer than a rainbow flag during a gay pride march. He turned down the advance of the one chick who went to another school, which I guess is a big deal. He is oblivious to the advances of Mary and he is being a wet blanket for Chizuru Tachibana and his lust for her. Without the tie for the first part of season one you wouldn't even know he's a dude.

Jormungand is progressing nicely. I am still getting FMP and Black Lagoon vibes. We have gotten some nice back story into the lead male. It isn't really original but it is still fun to watch.

Space Brothers (Uchuu Kyoudai) I really enjoy the series, it is nice to see a story with adults having a somewhat coming of age story. I look forward to this story every Saturday. The pacing so far is good, the series should be able to maintain the current pace and not feel rushed or dragging for the ending.

Tsuritama It is an anime about fishing and an alien. The alien aspect of it really isn't playing a large role at this point, I hope it doesn't get rushed at the end but it is a really nice show with unique artwork.

captokita
Premium Member
Calabash, NC

captokita

Premium Member

I don't think Shun is that way. He's more "girly" than the rest of the boys for sure, but he's more oblivious than anything else. He doesn't get that Mary is into him, he just sees her as a friend. He turned down the other girl because he either doesn't know how to deal with it, or the fact she's from another school is a problem. Relationships in these things are made more complicated than WE would consider.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix to captokita

Premium Member

to captokita
I had been wondering about fate:zero

I was watching it on crunchyroll and suddenlt no more episodes WTF, why isn't it more like other anime and keep making it year round?
DarkLogix

DarkLogix to captokita

Premium Member

to captokita
For fairy Taime it seems they're doing some filler after the 7 year jump but before the current arc.

Likely a good idea due to not wanting to pull a bleach and have filler in the middle of the arc.

captokita
Premium Member
Calabash, NC

captokita

Premium Member

Well, the season is wrapping up, what did you like the most?

Fate Zero S2: Wow! Was the action ramped up in this season! Wonderful! The end is next week I believe, and while the end of this week's episode (24) was predictable at the end, it was nice to see, and I really dig the series as a whole. If you've missed this one, you should check it out. Go Saber!

Dusk Maiden of Amnesia: This one was pretty decent, and last weeks backstory was well done, in a shocking way. You think it ridiculous, but realize that there were people that believed that way, and surely still do somewhere. Yikes. Good show though.

You and Me season 2: I've laughed, gotten teary eyed, and felt good over the course of this season with this show. I love it. Simple, funny, and emotional. As I said in the OP, if you've missed this, you should certainly check it out!

Kore wa Zombie Desuka? OF THE DEAD (season 2): This ended LAST WEEK! ARGH! Seriously? I sooooo hope this is continuing, because it ended with a cliffhanger, and dammit, I love this show! Funny as hell, and bouncy boobs for the sake of bouncy works. Vampires too. Vampire NINJAS!

Mysterious Girlfriend X: Still gross with the whole drool bit, but still, I do really like this show. It lends itself to be ecchi without actually becoming so, unless you consider sucking drool off someone's finger ecchi. I'd like to see more, as there is more in the manga. (which is also good btw)

Kids on a Slope: I overlooked this originally, but dang if it hasn't won me over as one hell of a show! I like the characters, and the interactions they have with each other. You get a feeling for them, and is an example (like chiyo said in the thread for the title) of what makes anime great.

Continuing:

Hunter X Hunter: Nice fighting, and the story doesn't drag like so many of these types of shows. I like the characters, so that helps.

Fairy Tail: I wish this arc would finish so we can get back to the story, because I'm loving it in the manga. The filler isn't bad, but it just seems slow and out of place.