spc
Search similar:

uniqs
jrmorfin5
join:2004-04-14
Ogden, UT

jrmorfin5

[Connectivity] SBG6580 Software Update

YAY, Comcast FINALLY pushed SBG6580-3.3.1.0-GA-11-070-NOSH to my modem!

scaredpoet
join:2001-03-26
Monmouth Junction, NJ

scaredpoet

Got it here too on mine. I had it a while back and then was pushed back to 3.1.0.
Anyway, back on 3.30, my modem has been rock solid since.

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

OK, so it looks like the new Moto SBG6580 software is now "sticking" (»[Connectivity] FYI: New Firmware on SBG6580 - no drops!) in NJ.

As this corrects the "dropping" problem (»forums.comcast.com/t5/Co ··· #M146458 ), it looks like the SBG6580 wireless gateway is now a viable choice for an approved 8x4 device, along with the Zoom 5341J modem (»[Connectivity] Where to buy a Zoom 5341j ), the Cisco DPC3008 modem, and the ARRIS TG852G and TG862G wireless gateways.

Recently, it looks like my area was upgraded to use more than 4 bonded downstream channels, but as I'm just on the Performance speed tier (25/4 w/PB, 16/2 sustained), I'm not sure I would gain that much by upgrading from my current Moto SB6121 4x4 modem to an 8x4 one, except that I would then be "future proofed."

Has anyone else on the Performance tier done that, and if so, did you notice an improvement?

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ

EG

Premium Member

said by telcodad:

it looks like the SBG6580 wireless gateway is now a viable choice for an approved 8x4 device,

IMO, it still "bites" simply because it is a gateway device and you are still a prisoner of the ISP for crippled firmware and for other reasons as well..

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by EG:

said by telcodad:

... it looks like the SBG6580 wireless gateway is now a viable choice for an approved 8x4 device,

IMO, it still "bites" simply because it is a gateway device and you are still a prisoner of the ISP for crippled firmware and for other reasons as well..

Yes, I have my own router/switch and wireless access point, so I don't need a wireless gateway device (and the extra cost of one), such as the Moto SBG6580, myself. I generally stay away from all-in-one type of devices, anyway.

As far as being "a prisoner of the ISP for crippled firmware," don't all the modems get downloaded the latest Comcast "certified" version of software/firmware? Unless you're talking about the other parts of the gateway (router and Wi-Fi)?

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ

1 edit

EG

Premium Member

I'm talking about the router segment's crippled/devoid of features firmware loads that they have the manufacturer alter to their own customized spec/coding then push out.

[Edited to re-word slightly]

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

1 edit

telcodad

MVM

said by EG:

I'm talking about the router segment's crippled/devoid of features firmware loads that they alter then push

OK, that's what I figured.

You have the Zoom 5341J 8x4 modem right? What speed tier are you on with that?

Edit: Looking at this old D3 thread from 3 years ago (»DOCSIS 3.0 Available in Union, NJ ) you said you were going to subscribe to the "Ultra" tier. That tier has since been phased out (»Comcast High Speed Internet FAQ »What are the actual Provisioned Speeds?), so I bet you're on at least the Blast! tier now.
telcodad

telcodad

MVM

I wish Comcast would add the Moto SB6141 (»www.motorola.com/Video-S ··· 41-US-EN ) and/or SB6180 (»www.motorola.com/Video-S ··· 80_US-EN ) 8x4 modems to their approved devices list (»mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/).

Anyone know what the hold-up is on those (besides Comcast Labs getting around to certification testing them)?

Also, what are the significant differences between the SB6141 and SB6180 modems, besides the SB6180 being EuroDOCSIS capable?

Ripper
Premium Member
join:2002-02-07
Lake Worth, FL

Ripper

Premium Member

The Cisco DPC3008 8x4 modem is now available on Newegg.com »www.Newegg.com/Product/P ··· 25120004 ,it is on the Comcast approved list right now, like the Zoom 5341j .
JPnATL
join:2011-11-16
Bethlehem, GA

JPnATL to jrmorfin5

to jrmorfin5
I hope it help that modem because I have the SB6120 and 6121 and awhile back I thought about the all-in-one and I returned it 2 hrs after driving 25 miles to get it. It may look like the SB6121 but it is not in the same ball game and I can speak without speculating because I have purchased all three not that its a bad modem its just not as much of a performer as the other 2. I had to try it anyway but I am a firm believer in using 1 specific product for one specific task that's why I use a modem,wired router,and a wireless access point and I have yet to find any all-in-ones or even wireless routers that out perform my set-up.

mb6
join:2000-07-23
Washington, NJ
Netgear CM1150V
Netgear R7800

mb6 to telcodad

to telcodad
said by telcodad:

I wish Comcast would add the Moto SB6141 ...

Why? Using a Motorola 6120 here without any problems. Does it really matter which modem you use?

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by mb6:

said by telcodad:

I wish Comcast would add the Moto SB6141 ...

Why? Using a Motorola 6120 here without any problems. Does it really matter which modem you use?

The SB6120 and SB6121 (the one I have) are 4x4 modems. The only Moto D3 8x4 device approved right now is the SBG6580 gateway.

As I said before, I'm just on the Performance speed tier right now, so I'm not sure how much extra performance an 8x4 modem would buy me.
Expand your moderator at work