Oh_No
Trogglus normalus
join:2011-05-21
Chicago, IL

Oh_No to Crookshanks

to Crookshanks

Re: confiscate stolen goods?

They should confiscate the phones.
But if you are so damn scared then you take the customers information try and activate it, then after they leave give the information to the police.
Crookshanks
join:2008-02-04
Binghamton, NY

2 edits

3 recommendations

Crookshanks

said by Oh_No:

if you are so damn scared then you take the customers information try and activate it, then after they leave give the information to the police.

It's not about being "so damn scared". It's about risk vs. reward. Do you seriously think that a lousy stinking smart phone is worth the risk of a physical confrontation in the middle of an AT&T store? Do you honestly believe that AT&T trains its employees to handle such a contingency and pays them a sufficient wage to compensate them for the risks they'd be assuming? What about the other customers in the store? Do you suppose one of them might sue AT&T if he gets injured in a tussle over a smart phone? With that in mind do you really think AT&T's lawyers would condone a policy of seizing stolen devices?

There's a reason why bank tellers are taught to GIVE UP THE MONEY even though it's worth far more than a smart phone. I've got self-defense training and a concealed carry license and I'm STILL not willing to risk an altercation over something as trivial as a phone. It simply isn't worth it.

I do concur that they should attempt to obtain relevant information to pass along to the police but that's the extent of their civic responsibility. They certainly aren't obligated to do anything that puts their customers or employees in harms way.
patcat88
join:2002-04-05
Jamaica, NY

patcat88

Big 4 cellphone shops already have security guards. The customers wouldnt be more violent if confronted over the phone being stolen than they naturally are.
Crookshanks
join:2008-02-04
Binghamton, NY

Crookshanks

said by patcat88:

Big 4 cellphone shops already have security guards.

Maybe in New York City that's the case but I can assure you it's the exception and not the rule. I've been in Verizon Wireless, AT&T and T-Mobile stores all over Upstate New York, Massachusetts, and Pennsylvania and I've never seen a security guard.

In any case, even with a security guard it's still not worth the risk. Private security guards are not peace officers. They have the same arrest powers as you or I, e.g., citizens arrest. Would you be willing to put your livelihood and freedom on the line to arrest someone merely for the possession of an allegedly stolen cell phone? I doubt it. Short of arresting them how are you going to take the phone if they refuse to hand it over? Pepper spray them? Pull a firearm? Good luck with that.

Asking a private enterprise to confront people over allegedly stolen property is absurd. You don't even know that the person is guilty of anything other than possession; they could simply have bought the phone on eBay and themselves been the victim of a crime.

MovieLover76
join:2009-09-11
Cherry Hill, NJ

MovieLover76 to patcat88

to patcat88
I've never seen a security guard in a Verizon store, it's a unnecessary risk for something as trivial as a smartphone

dslfan90
@sbcglobal.net

dslfan90 to patcat88

Anon

to patcat88
said by patcat88:

Big 4 cellphone shops already have security guards. The customers wouldnt be more violent if confronted over the phone being stolen than they naturally are.

I have never seen a security guard in any AT&T store that I have ever been in.
25139889 (banned)
join:2011-10-25
Toledo, OH

25139889 (banned) to Crookshanks

to Crookshanks
They actually donate activate the phone. They just issue a new SIM. What's the big deal about using a new SIM? They've been doing it for YEARS along with TMO.

But as far as taking the phones is just plan stupid. You do realize ATT could still be sued for this right? They're NOT the law. The same as you can sue Wal-Mart for stopping you in their store asking for proof of purchase. They can NOT due it, and thus is kidnapping and they can be used.
JoelC707
Premium Member
join:2002-07-09
Lanett, AL

JoelC707

Premium Member

That works for phones that still use SIM cards. It doesn't work for other phones though.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member
join:2004-06-21

Anonymous_ to dslfan90

Premium Member

to dslfan90
said by dslfan90 :

said by patcat88:

I have never seen a security guard in any AT&T store that I have ever been in.

In the mall they do

aka mall cops (sheriffs)