share rss forum feed

norbert26
Premium
join:2010-08-10
Warwick, RI
reply to Madness

Re: Number?

said by Madness:

Too bad they didn't post the number. I'd ring it just to give it something to do. Someone answers, I'd be like, "save me" in some solemn voice!

back in '82 when the pay phones were in their heyday around here an old favorite was to FIND a pay phone you could call into. An added bonus was if you found one in a vintage booth with a door that still closed. Many pay phones in popular locations like malls , colleges , airports did NOT accept incoming calls. If trying to call its number you would get a recording the number you have reached XXX-XXX-XXXX is not in service for incoming calls. The operator could call into it to request more change be deposited .

RARPSL

join:1999-12-08
Suffern, NY
said by norbert26:

An added bonus was if you found one [Pay Phone] in a vintage booth with a door that still closed.

Every time I rewatch the first Superman movie, I get a laugh about of the "What do you mean I am supposed to change into my Super-Suit in THAT!" look on his face when Clark Kent runs up to the Pay-Phone-On-A-Pole (followed by having to use a revolving door as a backup changing location).

PX Eliezer70
Premium
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River
kudos:13
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms
reply to norbert26
said by norbert26:

back in '82 when the pay phones were in their heyday around here an old favorite was to FIND a pay phone you could call into. An added bonus was if you found one in a vintage booth with a door that still closed.

Well, back in '62 when I was 7 years old, the added bonus was to walk on the boardwalk in Atlantic City, NJ or in Lake George, NY (lots of pay phones) and check the coin return for dimes. THAT was a bonus, to find those dimes!!