Mike
Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA

Mike to donoreo

Mod

to donoreo

Re: [SU] Java for OS X 2012 -003

Let's change the topic a bit... should Apple start FORCE pushing updates out in response to threats? Inverse kill switch like in iOS?

bobrk
You kids get offa my lawn
Premium Member
join:2000-02-02
San Jose, CA
·SONIC

bobrk

Premium Member

said by Mike:

Let's change the topic a bit... should Apple start FORCE pushing updates out in response to threats? Inverse kill switch like in iOS?

Eh? Can you imagine the backlash if the largest company in the world didn't?

haroldo
join:2004-01-16
USA

haroldo to Mike

to Mike
said by Mike:

... Inverse kill switch like in iOS?

What does this mean? (in simple terms), thanks!

Mike
Mod
Pittsburgh, PA
·Verizon FiOS

Mike

Mod

If you download an application on your iWhatever and Apple recalls it. It presses a button and it's deleted everywhere.

Meaning, if there is an update Apple wants you to have.. the Flashback removal tool, should it be able to press a button and you start downloading it?

haroldo
USA

haroldo

I think there's a big difference between taking something off and forcing something on.
I wouldn't mind it if people signed up voluntarily...click here to have updates automatically installed...
For the >80% who are basically clueless, it might be a good idea!

I imagine some/most geeks would flip their lid if it were automatic by default.

Mike
Mod
Pittsburgh, PA

Mike

Mod

Automatic updates are enabled by default. I mean, actually push it without acknowledgment at their discretion.

haroldo
USA

haroldo

Really? I thought I needed to approve every installation.

Mike
Mod
Pittsburgh, PA

Mike

Mod

Which brings up my first post...
"should Apple start FORCE pushing updates out in response to threats?"

haroldo
USA

haroldo

Oh, got it.
If anyone cares, I'd vote for a ballot screen for folks to accept automatic updates (decision needs to be refreshed every six months).
Most non-advanced users ignore updates and never install them. Better to force it on them...for their own good once they agree (even though it might 'brick' a few machines every few years....odds pretty low...and the risk here is lower than the risk of using an out of date system).