spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

timmy2

join:2005-07-07
united state

[Fixed] How can other WISP users appear in W7 Network Browser?

My WISP uses Canopy equipment. When I open my Windows 7 Network Browser I sometimes see names of computers not on my LAN. When I scan my LAN using SoftPerfect's Network Scanner all I see are the devices I expect. This has nothing to do with my Wi-Fi connection, either.

I had the same problem with my prior WISP after he gave me a static IP address. Their tech said he experienced this on his home LAN and didn't know what caused it, but he had grown used to it and didn't worry about it.

I don't have a static IP with my new WISP. My router is simply configured for a Dynamic connection with no login needed.

Can anyone explain this to me, and should I be concerned?

Jim_in_VA

join:2004-07-11
Cobbs Creek, VA
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Metrocast Commun..

Re: [Fixed] How can other WISP users appear in W7 Network Browse

Your computer is going to see any network in range that is on 2.4 MHz (WiFi) via the network card that is installed. What it is seeing is routers within range, not your WISP.

I also am connected to a 900 MHz WISP. There is no concern. Just password protect your router.
--
... need help? »evdo-tips.com/

timmy2

united state

Thank you for replying but there's no wi-fi involved. It's a wired network. The only wireless aspect is between their Canopy radio on my house and the one on a nearby hill.

jcremin

join:2009-12-22
Siren, WI
kudos:2

What is likely happening is that the ISP is running a bridged network, all the way through to the wire you plug into your computer, and not doing anything to filter out netbios traffic.

In other words, any computer plugged directly into the WISP's service is essentially on a very large LAN.

I personally see this as a huge security risk and would suggest urging your WISP to block the traffic. If they won't do that, then I'd at least add a simple router between their antenna and your computer. That will at least protect you from someone else trying to gain access to your computer. At it should create two different layer2 networks so the other computers don't show up in the list anymore.

LLigetfa

join:2006-05-15
Fort Frances, ON
kudos:1

said by jcremin:

If they won't do that, then I'd at least add a simple router between their antenna and your computer.

Did you mean firewall?

Since the OP claims to have a router, I would have to guess that the firewall within it is not configured properly.
said by timmy2:

My router is simply configured for a Dynamic connection with no login needed.

--
Strange as it seems, no amount of learning can cure stupidity, and formal education positively fortifies it. -- Stephen Vizinczey

wirelessdog

join:2008-07-15
Queen Anne, MD
reply to timmy2

Is your router secure? If it is indeed configured as a router and not an access point what you are describing is not possible unless your router is not secure and others are connecting to it.

timmy2

united state

Yes, it's a high-end Belkin and "firewall" is enabled (as is UPnP if that matters).

Can someone tell me where Windows' Network Browser gets its list of computers and other devices? Does it compile it on the fly or from a cache or from the router or??

(I wish like heck I'd kept a list of the 2 or 3 "strays" that showed up when I had a static IP with another WISP, to see if they're the same or different from those that I occasionally see now. My sense is that these are different names because I think I would've noticed a match when I switched WISPS. Note also that at first my new WISP recognized the problem and said that a setting needed changing -- I think that the homes of the people whose PC's were appearing here, so that's why I just let it go for a few weeks, to give him time to fix it. But since they're still popping up occasionally I called again yesterday. Even if he solves it I'd love to know how this could happen from behind a router, because remember: it happened before. If jcremin is correct about Netbios traffic being the source of the names being found by Windows' network browser, can this traffic be visible to a PC that's sitting behind a typical router?)

jcremin

join:2009-12-22
Siren, WI
kudos:2
reply to LLigetfa

said by LLigetfa:

Did you mean firewall?

No, I actually meant route, performing NAT to essentially act like a firewall, but I didn't notice in his post that he said he had one.

Like you mentioned, something must not be configured properly if he does indeed have a router setup as a router.

wirelessdog

join:2008-07-15
Queen Anne, MD
reply to timmy2

Its been said before and I'll say it again. Your router is not configured properly. Either by being unsecure or acting as a access point and not a router. If you cannot figure it out from that information hire someone that can.

LLigetfa

join:2006-05-15
Fort Frances, ON

My guess (and guess I must) is that the OP put himself into the DMZ of his router to overcome port forward limitations.

Can UPnP open the ports needed for network browsing? I don't think it is the WISP's responsibility to block your computer from network browsing. Most WISP's that limit certain layer 2 traffic do so to protect their network from clients, not to protect clients for each other.
--
Strange as it seems, no amount of learning can cure stupidity, and formal education positively fortifies it. -- Stephen Vizinczey